The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by APIS
Does anybody know where to attend Lnat Preparation course?

I think there's one held at King's College London every year.
However, from experience, an LNAT preparation course will cost a lot of money and won't help you when it comes to the actual exam. The LNAT is designed so everybody has an equal chance - it's not something you can really revise for, it's just a matter of skill. That's partly why it's used by admissions tutors, to see real aptitude for Law, which isn't partly dependent on the type of school you attend or opportunities you have had.

Personally, the best preparation is to familiarise yourself with the format of the exam (the LNAT website has some sample papers), practise writing essays within the given time limit (it seems a long time to write a relatively short essay, but trust me, the times flies!), read the newspaper/online news so you can have something interesting to say. It might also be worth looking at the OCR Critical Thinking papers, which have similar questions to the LNAT, if you want extra practice.

Oh, and practice reading long passages on a computer screen as well - I know it seems really silly, but that was my biggest problem, I couldn't focus as well on the fairly complicated text because it was on a screen!!
I received an offer on 21st January to study Law with Hispanic Law at UCL. <3
Original post by moonsailorkitten
hi.. Ive pretty much been rejected from all the unis I have applied for .. LSE and KCL..... for Law .... I am pretty down..

So, honestly , what are my chances for being accepted at UCL???

I sent off my UCAS the 20th of November,

Did my LNAT in December

Predicted aaa+

does economics, psychology and RS

originally Swedish, but came to england for my alevels 1,5 yrs ago...

What were your reasons for being rejected from the above? If it was your LNAT, then your chances with UCL are quite slim, as they are notoriously harsh on the LNAT. UCL, from what I've heard, are not as strict about GCSEs at others, LSE especially.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Pfft, what a stupid article.
I fail to see how anyone could complain about recruitment focusing on the higher ranked schools - it's entirely logical - and, to be honest, I don't see anything about recruiting from Fordham law school as somehow in itself noble.
What's more, the article commits cum hoc in spectacular fashion. ' Lolwut? Did you even consider that perhaps the applicants with the most merit come from those schools? The implication that Graham White's claim is somehow ridiculous based on the ratios of oxbridge/ top 10 grads there is in itself absurd.

/rant.

BTW I realise you were only posting the article for statistics. I'm not attacking you, it just pissed me off.

I don't see a problem with what Graham White saiad at all. Clearly MC firms are looking for the very best graduates for their firm. However, it is true that the majority of these will come from Oxbridge, UCL, LSE etc because of the quality of the education and the students there. But I don't think someone from Exeter, for example, would be excluded just because Exeter isn't a top 10 law school.
Original post by qwertzui
Has any International student gotten any offer at UCL KCL or SOAS?

I've seen a couple of offers.
Original post by anoushka1
So far I have

Cambridge: A*AA
LSE: A*AA
Queen Mary's : AAA
King's College London: No reply
UCL: Rejected!! (today so gutted kind of wanted them as my back up but oh well life goes on) lol

Hope all you lovely people get your offers!

Kind of worried as I was rejected on the basis of my LNAT so maybe I will get rejected from Kings too :frown:

UCL are notoriously harsh for the LNAT, King's are a lot more lenient on it. :smile:
You have Cambridge though!?
Reply 1826
Original post by LornaSandison1
I received an offer on 21st January to study Law with Hispanic Law at UCL. <3

Congratulations on your offer :smile: what are your grades like if you don't mind me asking? Do you know where you'd like as your firm/insurance?
Original post by Mann18
Saying that though, I can understand their thoughts.

In the US, it costs a lot more to go to the better universities, and I believe getting financial aid isn't easy (I may be wrong.)

So the author may think that we have a similar system here, where only the more affluent can afford to go to the top 10, and by not accepting many people from the lower ranked universities, they're effectively picking from only the privileged.

There is also the argument that our system (even with it's perceived parity) is highly skewed to the affluent, so the article is right (even though it reached it's answer via flawed logic, or at least apparently flawed logic.) If we consider the proportion of privately educated students that attend top 10 universities, they are greatly over-reperesented, suggesting that affulence indeed dictates which type of university one attends (to a certain extent,) and to only pick from the top, you pick from a predominantly privileged group.

Quite an interesting topic I think, and one that will surely grow to have greater relevance once the tuition fee hike establishes itself. I personally don't think it's fair to pick purely from the top 10, but that it's something firms have limited choice over, they can't afford to risk employing someone who doesn't fit what they're looking for from an academic standpoint, and the problem doesn't lie with the firms (they can't be expected to lead the charge for social mobility) but with the early education system itself, and until every child is given the same opportunities, the vicious circle is set to continue on.

The fact is that if more private school kids are represented then they are the better candidates. They deserve to be better represented. I see nothing fair in saying that the candidates with the greatest merit should make it, except when they had the benefit of private schooling.
If you work hard enough you can get into the top uni's from any background, anyway.

Not that these 'issues' of social fairness are for the law firms to deal with in their recruitment policy. Private companies hire the best workers available; if they happen to come from a rich background, you don't really have any ground for complaint while they were hiring on merit. To be honest, you wouldn't really have any ground for complaint if they were hiring purely based on the affluence of the candidate. It's a private company.

I disagree with this drive to give kids the same opportunities, to be honest, if by that you mean abolish private schools and make state school attendance mandatory. I cannot agree with the state interfering in private transactions and arrangements in such a way.
Besides which, whatever you do, you will never control conditions to the extent that all opportunities can be fair. People will always come from different backgrounds; there will be some read to and made to read more as children, some whose parents will spend time counting and adding with them and some whose won't. How will you control those factors?
Reply 1828
Original post by joventius
GCSE : 8A* 3A 1B
AS : 3A 1B
Prediction : 2A* 2A

LSE: rejected
Oxford (wadham): rejected
UCL: rejected

KCL + Warwick : no news so far

sigh... im gonna crack soon

Whoop for Wadham Law rejects! Unlucky on the rest though, and KCL and Warwick do like to take their time. I've applied to the exact same unis, haha.
Original post by LornaSandison1
What were your reasons for being rejected from the above? If it was your LNAT, then your chances with UCL are quite slim, as they are notoriously harsh on the LNAT. UCL, from what I've heard, are not as strict about GCSEs at others, LSE especially.

Thats the thing, they didnt tell me :confused: . All I got was this mail

"Thank you for your application to King's College London. Your application has now been carefully considered. Whilst you meet the entrance requirements for the programme, applications are considered in a competitive environment. We have received many applications this year and due to the competition for places have had to disappoint many candidates. Therefore, I regret to inform you that you have been unsuccessful in obtaining a place on the programme.

May we take this opportunity to wish you every success with future applications"

I have however sent them a mail requesting further reasons for my unsuccessful application.

Suspecting it was my LNAT.. so kinda waiving goodbye to UCL haha:smile:
Reply 1830
UCL rejection received exactly 10 minutes ago, having received Durham rejection late last week. UCL said it was down to my LNAT score and Durham didn't specify, though I'm guessing it might have been the LNAT for them too. Ahh well, only a few days until I find out just how badly I did.
On the plus side, that's both my LNAT unis out the way, so no more rejection based on that.
I really want to hear from Nottingham soon :frown:
UCL please give me an offer now please :smile:
Reply 1833
Applied on the 6th October, sat the LNAT less than a week later..
Still waiting on UCL, LSE and Kings...
MAHHH
Reply 1834
Just received a rejection from LSE:frown: I thought my application was quite good:frown: Now I'm pretty sure I won't get an offer from UCL or KLC either:frown:
Original post by Idealine
UCL rejection received exactly 10 minutes ago, having received Durham rejection late last week. UCL said it was down to my LNAT score and Durham didn't specify, though I'm guessing it might have been the LNAT for them too. Ahh well, only a few days until I find out just how badly I did.
On the plus side, that's both my LNAT unis out the way, so no more rejection based on that.

sorry to hear that ! good luck with your others! I'm probs gonna get rejected too.. i think i totally screwed up my lnat...

may i ask when u sent ur application off?
Original post by mizzlfp
Applied on the 6th October, sat the LNAT less than a week later..
Still waiting on UCL, LSE and Kings...
MAHHH

Snap. And I took the LNAT early too.
Reply 1837
Original post by Ania92
Just received a rejection from LSE:frown: I thought my application was quite good:frown: Now I'm pretty sure I won't get an offer from UCL or KLC either:frown:

Ahh that sucks big time , sorry to hear that! These London unis are driving us all mad...
And this means LSE might have broken their Friday news trend!
Reply 1838
Original post by moonsailorkitten
sorry to hear that ! good luck with your others! I'm probs gonna get rejected too.. i think i totally screwed up my lnat...

may i ask when u sent ur application off?

Thanks, I'm waiting on QMUL, Warwick and LSE; I live in hope.
I sent my application off on the 4th of October, and took my LNAT on the 22nd of November I think, certainly mid-November sometime. If it has any bearing I'm applying with deferred entry, I'm not sure if they consider deferred applicants later, earlier or in the same way as everyone else.
Oh and I'm sure your LNAT was fine, good luck!
Original post by TimmonaPortella
UCL please give me an offer now please :smile:

haha I'm really really scared of a rejection considering how many they've given out right now... but there's still a bit of hope in me! Hopefully they do

Latest

Trending

Trending