The Student Room Group

BUNAC Work Canada

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by gemini89
Yeah, it's all changed, and to my advantage cos then I can save some money! It does seem odd to me that BUNAC is literally using the exact same application, I'm surprised they didn't have a slightly different one or something - but I guess the Canadians just wanted everything a standard way. :smile:

When are you leaving? Sorry if you've answered that on the thread before!

Yeah, but last time you sent the info to Bunac and they sent it to the commission, did liaison on your behalf and acted as your sponsor and stuff, so it saved you some work. And I think the money you gave Bunac partly went towards the visa, whereas this time you pay the canadian high commission personally once you get the visa but bunac still ask for £250-something pounds so I'm not quite sure what they do with the extra money... Hmm.

Anyway. I'll stop that. It's the crabbiness about all the forms and feeling poor :smile:
I'm going to Canada probably in late July/August, after I've graduated. How about you? :smile:
Reply 181
Original post by ChrisBan
:five: me too! I'm so excited, but so nervous at the same time!

I just found you on Twitter! In a non-stalkery way. You talk to the Bunac person rather a lot :-P
Reply 182
A heads up on this bank stuff. I went in today to get that form stamped but they wouldnt do it (NATWEST). I asked them to print me off a statement and stamp it and they did. I asked them to send me a new bank statement home and they did. So next week I plan to go back in, get a new statement printed off (I only put the money in today and so it doesnt clear yet), stamp it, get it signed (maybe), and sent off with the actual statement. T'is the only way. They will only stamp stuff they've printed there and then.
Original post by lazyswot
I just found you on Twitter! In a non-stalkery way. You talk to the Bunac person rather a lot :-P

Haha I know, we have a bit of banter going on! :teehee: are you not following me?

And as for your earlier comment about the £250 fee BUNAC take. I'm just really hoping that I use all the services at the other side from SWAP, otherwise I'm going to feel like a right mug
Reply 184
Haha I know, we have a bit of banter going on! :teehee: are you not following me?

And as for your earlier comment about the £250 fee BUNAC take. I'm just really hoping that I use all the services at the other side from SWAP, otherwise I'm going to feel like a right mug

I was going to let you know first so as not to be even more creepy. I'm asta02 on twitter. :smile:

And the way I see it, it is still worth going through Bunac, and not just for the SWAP stuff. We don't have to rush about and worry cos we've got a visa reserved, we've got advice on hand whenever we need it, contacts in Canada and a way to meet new people easily in Canada, and there's the security of the whole thing. If you get in trouble in Canada you've got someone to help you. I wish it wasn't quite so much money but I'll still pay it. I just wish they were doing a bit more of the admin themselves, I don't want to screw up the application!
Reply 185
Yeah, but last time you sent the info to Bunac and they sent it to the commission, did liaison on your behalf and acted as your sponsor and stuff, so it saved you some work. And I think the money you gave Bunac partly went towards the visa, whereas this time you pay the canadian high commission personally once you get the visa but bunac still ask for £250-something pounds so I'm not quite sure what they do with the extra money... Hmm.

Anyway. I'll stop that. It's the crabbiness about all the forms and feeling poor :smile:
I'm going to Canada probably in late July/August, after I've graduated. How about you? :smile:

Not until November......I'm graduating this year too but am going on a three month road trip around Europe first as I don't know when I'll be back in the area. :smile:

Ahhh, had a big talk with the boyfriend last night, totally re-evaluating where we might go. For ages it was definitely Vancouver, but now maybe Ottawa or even Newfoundland!! As we'll go to Australia or NZ after Canada, we kind of realised it would probably be best to start East, and head West....ending up in Vancouver, cos that's half way to Aus/NZ from the UK. Also tempted to spend 6 months in Quebec so my boyfriend can get residency there and therefore can get cheaper insurance on a car (cheapest province to do so)...which would be awesome.

Where is everyone else thinking of going? I know Chris said Toronto a few pages back.
Hey all!
I'm hoping to hear back from Bunac tomorrow with a few questions about the Canada work. But perhaps some of you can help. My main query, is whether there are set times you can go. ie, If I booked a place tomorrow, could I wait until after I graduated to go or would I be expected to travel at a certain time. I hope to make use of the group flights, so I appreciate that I would be limited in some respects, but do Bunac organise flights throughout the year?

Thanks guys, I look forward to perhaps seeing some of you out there?
Reply 187
Original post by middletondt
Hey all!
I'm hoping to hear back from Bunac tomorrow with a few questions about the Canada work. But perhaps some of you can help. My main query, is whether there are set times you can go. ie, If I booked a place tomorrow, could I wait until after I graduated to go or would I be expected to travel at a certain time. I hope to make use of the group flights, so I appreciate that I would be limited in some respects, but do Bunac organise flights throughout the year?

You can go whenever you want, as long as you enter Canada up to a year after your visa is granted...in one of the FAQ answers -

You may submit an application to the IEC at any time while we are accepting applications for an upcoming year. It is important to note that you cannot be issued a new temporary work permit until your current permit expires and that the Letter of Introduction you would be issued by the Visa Section at the High Commission of Canada in the UK is valid for 12 months from the date of issue.

Can't help you with the BUNAC questions I'm afraid, though I'm sure they have departures throughout the year, not just in the first few months, as I think a lot of people (myself included) will be waiting until they graduate.
(edited 13 years ago)
Hey all!

BUNAC usually have one flight a month, with 2 flights per month in the high season months from what I recall.
Reply 189

I love a bit of Twitter banter - that's just how I roll! :tongue: Get involved!

Hey all!

You can head out to Canada anytime within 12 months of your application. We have group flights every month. Looking forward to helping you on your adventure!
Well then... I've done it!!
I've bit the bullet, and paid my fees. I'm aiming to go out to Canada in August time, on the group flights. Anyone else have similar plans?

I can't believe I've done it, I am sooooo excited!!!!
I've submitted... I'm just super nervous that my application gets rejected now :frown:
Hi
Im completely new to this site:smile:
I've also just bitten the bullet and applied woop!!!
been thinking about it way too long so just got on with it!!
Not sure when I shall be going (depending upon being accepted or not obviously!!)
Shall definitely be flying with Bunac tho, seems the best option:smile:
heheeeeee, exciting times for us lot!!!!
Reply 193
I've submitted... I'm just super nervous that my application gets rejected now :frown:

We can't guarantee that the embassy will grant your visa but I wouldn't worry - as long as you have a clean criminal record and have not had problems with entering Canada in the past, you should be ok!

Original post by laura62442
Hi
Im completely new to this site:smile:
I've also just bitten the bullet and applied woop!!!
been thinking about it way too long so just got on with it!!
Not sure when I shall be going (depending upon being accepted or not obviously!!)
Shall definitely be flying with Bunac tho, seems the best option:smile:
heheeeeee, exciting times for us lot!!!!

Congratulations! Feel free to get in touch if you have any questions about the programme.
Just a word of warning to people out there trying to get the proof of funds form signed, Lloyds TSB told me today they flat out refuse to sign these kind of things whether it be on behalf of yourself or third-party. (I was trying to go for the third party option.)

Luckily, HSBC have said they will sign the one for my account in-branch which by the sounds of things is a rarity! I am going to 'borrow' some money off of the rentals to bring my account balance up to the £2000 mark.
Just a word of warning to people out there trying to get the proof of funds form signed, Lloyds TSB told me today they flat out refuse to sign these kind of things whether it be on behalf of yourself or third-party. (I was trying to go for the third party option.)

Luckily, HSBC have said they will sign the one for my account in-branch which by the sounds of things is a rarity! I am going to 'borrow' some money off of the rentals to bring my account balance up to the £2000 mark.

See I know someone who didn't have a problem getting it signed by Lloyds! I had major problems with HSBC, the lady in there told me exactly what Lloyds told you! I emailed them last week and got a call this morning saying they could send me a HSBC headed letter dated and signed saying the balance of my accounts!

Original post by BUNAC
We can't guarantee that the embassy will grant your visa but I wouldn't worry - as long as you have a clean criminal record and have not had problems with entering Canada in the past, you should be ok!

Congratulations! Feel free to get in touch if you have any questions about the programme.

Fingers crossed though... I just keep re-reading the application kit and things make me worry that it'll get rejected! Application is with the French postal system today so hopefully tomorrow or Thursday I get my confirmation that its been received :biggrin:
Reply 196

Aww I'm sure you'll be fine! It's a bit of a wait now though...

How long did your police check take, out of interest? They got mine over a week ago, but I'm not expecting it back very soon.
Original post by gemini89
Aww I'm sure you'll be fine! It's a bit of a wait now though...

How long did your police check take, out of interest? They got mine over a week ago, but I'm not expecting it back very soon.

I sent it on the 7th and got it back exactly two weeks later
Reply 198
I sent it on the 7th and got it back exactly two weeks later

Ah, not bad. I'm hoping I'll have it back this time next week...ish. :smile:
Reply 199
Did any of you guys have trouble downloading/opening the forms from the IEC? They quite simply will not open on my computer. I've never even heard of .php before :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest