The Student Room Group

2011 Criminology applicants!

Scroll to see replies

hey i'm looking to do a criminology with psychology course sent my applicaton off on the 2nd of november (really early :O ) so far ive heard from derby DMU and birmingham hoping to go derby with DMU as my insurance :smile:
Original post by reynoldssye
hey i'm looking to do a criminology with psychology course sent my applicaton off on the 2nd of november (really early :O ) so far ive heard from derby DMU and birmingham hoping to go derby with DMU as my insurance :smile:

Aha, I beat you! I sent mine off 22nd October (it would have been the 18th if I didn't beg my ucas coordinator to send it back as I'd forgot to add my singing qualification) :tongue:

Oh, and well done on your offers!:smile:
Reply 42
Original post by counteraction
Hy! I'm also applying for criminology at keele, kent, southampton, uwe and essex. I've just sent my application and for the moment i must say that I'm fully confident. :smile:

hey I've applied to Keele as well :smile:
whats the other subject you've applied to?
Original post by Reggiee
hey I've applied to Keele as well :smile:
whats the other subject you've applied to?

Sorry. But I just made up my mind about keele. I'm choosing leicester instead. What do you mean by other subject? I've only applied to criminology Bsc, just the universities differ. Just make it clearer. :biggrin:

By the way. I'm an international student and of course I intend to stay in campus accommodation and thus I Turned the internet upside down for information. And when I came across youtube I realized there were videos from every uni. And now to come to what I originally meant to say, if you have seen that video of keele campus accommodation either, didn't it seem a bit scary? I felt like in a horror movie because of that background music. :s-smilie::biggrin:
Reply 44
Original post by counteraction
Sorry. But I just made up my mind about keele. I'm choosing leicester instead. What do you mean by other subject? I've only applied to criminology Bsc, just the universities differ. Just make it clearer. :biggrin:

By the way. I'm an international student and of course I intend to stay in campus accommodation and thus I Turned the internet upside down for information. And when I came across youtube I realized there were videos from every uni. And now to come to what I originally meant to say, if you have seen that video of keele campus accommodation either, didn't it seem a bit scary? I felt like in a horror movie because of that background music. :s-smilie::biggrin:

oh I see :smile:
coz I've applied to Forensic Science and Criminology and Keele is good for combine courses so I thought you've applied to two as well :P

I did go onto youtube to look for informations as well but dont really care about the background music lol (It is a bit scary indeed)
but I havent visit Keele yet and I am still choosing between Keele, Hull and Kent :frown: so yea I am really looking forward to the visit day!
Reply 45
what A levels did you take to get into the criminology sector!? I'm still lost as to what to take... D:
Original post by EllieAds
what A levels did you take to get into the criminology sector!? I'm still lost as to what to take... D:

Anything really! Sociology is the obvious option, along with Psychology. I know of a lot of applicants who've applied with History, English, Religious Studies, Law... essay-based subjects really (although there's no problem in taking Maths, Sciences etc!). Some universities such as Manchester don't allow Media Studies A Levels to be used for Criminology so you might want to consider that! The main thing is that you need to have a keen interest in Criminology and work hard!

Although, I do a BTEC National Diploma and study Journalism! A lot of people who do the Public Services BTEC also go onto study Criminology :smile:
Reply 47
Original post by EllieAds

I didn't take anything related to Criminology (my school didn't offer any) so i'm taking Geography, Economics, Maths and statistics, Classical Civilisation and French for a-level and it didn't make any difference, so i guess just take the subjects you enjoy and are good at! :smile:
Reply 48
I've sent my application out to Hull, Manchester Met, Leeds Met, Sheffield Hallam and Lancaster to do Criminology!

Recieved offers from Hull and Sheffield for 300 and 260 ucas points respectively!

I'm not particularly organised, but what are most people looking to doing with their criminology degrees at the end? And which would be the best uni to enter down as my first/insurance choice?

(Now to get on with some psychology revision to make sure I make it!)
Original post by sugdude
I've sent my application out to Hull, Manchester Met, Leeds Met, Sheffield Hallam and Lancaster to do Criminology!

Recieved offers from Hull and Sheffield for 300 and 260 ucas points respectively!

I'm not particularly organised, but what are most people looking to doing with their criminology degrees at the end? And which would be the best uni to enter down as my first/insurance choice?

(Now to get on with some psychology revision to make sure I make it!)

Out of Hull and Sheffield Hallam, defiantly Hull - better reputation, and i heard they have some sort of graduate programme for criminology students.
Reply 50
Ive applied to BCU, worcester, stafford, warwick and coventry!
Got offers from worc and cov, waiting for other three!!!

I want to be criminal profiler! Roll on september! :p:(
Hey,

I only applied for Cardiff and Teesside and i've received conditional offers for both. Can't make up my mind on which one to firm :frown:!!!
Original post by IronicAllure
Hey,

I only applied for Cardiff and Teesside and i've received conditional offers for both. Can't make up my mind on which one to firm :frown:!!!

Check out the individual modules/units of both courses and see which one you prefer :smile:
I've checked out the individual modules on the criminology course at Teesside and they sound interesting, however after hours of searching I still cannot find any information on what modules I would be taking on the criminology course at Cardiff! All I know is that there are six modules in the first year and only two are crime related, hmmmm.
Original post by IronicAllure
I've checked out the individual modules on the criminology course at Teesside and they sound interesting, however after hours of searching I still cannot find any information on what modules I would be taking on the criminology course at Cardiff! All I know is that there are six modules in the first year and only two are crime related, hmmmm.

Here:
http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/socsi/degreeprogrammes/undergraduate/handbooks/modules.html
Reply 55
If you don't mind me asking, what sort of exam results would you need to do criminology? It is something I am really considering applying for next year.
Original post by Alt__x
If you don't mind me asking, what sort of exam results would you need to do criminology? It is something I am really considering applying for next year.

It depends entirely on which university you are applying to. Cardiff require me to get AAB, but with Teesside I only need 240 ucas points :biggrin:
Reply 57
I've applied for criminology with applied psychology :smile:
Got all my offers, from Southampton, Brighton, Portsmouth and Plymouth :smile:
Definitely prefer the course structure at Portsmouth and Soton compared to the other two. However when looking at career prospects they all seem kinda vague, anyone know what kinda career paths this could lead to ? (I know it sounds odd that I don't really know about this considering I've applied for it, but I just really liked the sound of the course :biggrin: )
Original post by Alt__x

As the above poster said, it depends are where you're going. The grades range from AAA - CCC (although some unis use ucas points).

Also bear in mind that most BSc courses (such as Cardiff's) will have higher requirements.
Reply 59
Original post by ellakrystina
Where have you applied? Have you received any offers yet?
What do you hope to do with your degree in Criminology?

You know what to do! :smile:

thank you for directing me here. have you decided where to study? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending