The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dwalsh20

Yeah I suppose in that way it's beneficial but I'm still envious :mad:.What day was your interview? I tend to think it varies for each student,I'm not highly career-oriented but I know what I want to do,so more focused subjects would work for me. I'm not gonna use my math skills anytime soon. I've never been to N.Ireland,is it more regular to apply to Oxbridge there?

Mine was on the 8th December. Our school formal was on the day before, so I had to miss it - best decision I ever made! :biggrin: When was yours?
And what is it you want to do? Given that you've applied for education I assume some form of teaching? :tongue:
It's not that it's really that regular, well, in my town anyway (which is fairly small). This year was a bit of an anomaly, as there were three of us from my town who applied to Cambridge (and amazingly, all of us got in!) but that wouldn't be the norm.
At my interview I met two MML applicants from Dublin. Would there be a lot of people from around your area who'd apply?
Reply 941
Original post by r_u_t_h
snap! AH chemistry is my one biggest worry too! especially as my teahcer's attitude towards parts of the course is 'oh, that doesn't come up very often in the exams... let's just skip to the next bit' and yeah, i agree it's a fair bit more difficult than higher, but often the title is more complex than the actual chemistry! - base induced elimination of hydrogen halides from monohalogenoalkanes anyone?? :tongue:

That's AS chemistry :p:
Original post by nibbler12
Oh god, why can't everything be like maths :frown:?

:K: If everything was like maths, I think I would die.
Reply 943
Original post by l4ith
That's AS chemistry :p:

oh shush :tongue:

wait, but actually that proves my point, it's the titles that are more difficult than the actual content sometimes!
Original post by dwalsh20
Well I made an open application but once I actually went to interview and saw the college I couldn't have been happier that it was Homerton. They actually put me in the pool but fished me out again. I'm frankly concerned about whether I'll meet the conditions but I'm not going to focus on that too much,just work real hard. I got my official offer through UCAS so I'm going to reply tongiht.

Yeah I was pooled to Homerton and I'm glad cos it's so near the Faculty and has lots of societies and things I'm interested in.

My UCAS has updated too :smile: Gonna be hard to get these grades but I'm sure the prospect of Cambridge will motivate me lols!

Do you know what job you would want after the Education degree? :tongue:
College: St Johns
Course: Natural Sciences
Offer: A*AA in Biology, Chemistry and Further Maths (not normal Maths?!)

:smile: :smile: :smile:
Original post by vladtheimpaler
College: St Johns
Offer: A*AA in Biology, Chemistry and Further Maths (not normal Maths?!)

:smile: :smile: :smile:

Another prospective Johnian! Congrats on the offer :smile:
Original post by katey_doodles

Oh god, me too! Something in my brain is wired against maths. :rolleyes:
Original post by darkestskies
Oh god, me too! Something in my brain is wired against maths. :rolleyes:

I totally know the feeling! The day of my last add maths exam at GCSE was right up among the happiest days of all my school years :biggrin:
I totally know the feeling! The day of my last add maths exam at GCSE was right up among the happiest days of all my school years :biggrin:

Me too! I understand it but it bores me to tears :tongue:

I love Maths, even though I got forced to do it, I really love it - just doing past papers and memorizing mark schemes. I hate physics though, it's a nightmare because you cannot revise for it - you just have to be good at it!!! That's why I flopped it - am really bad in Physics!!!!
Original post by Schoolio93
I love Maths, even though I got forced to do it, I really love it - just doing past papers and memorizing mark schemes. I hate physics though, it's a nightmare because you cannot revise for it - you just have to be good at it!!! That's why I flopped it - am really bad in Physics!!!!

I guess there is something quite comforting in that if you know the methodology you're guaranteed marks; and though I hated maths I used to love doing three simultaneous linear equations in three unknowns...don't ask me why!

Physics, on the other hand, is awful. You're totally right - it's very difficult to revise for! Though I took a sneaky peek at your grades, and I'd hardly call one mark off an A really bad :smile:
Reply 952
Original post by kerily
Any LGBT Cambridge offer holders for 2011? :awesome:

(If I actually meet the terms of my offer, I'll make a whole new thread for this on results day, but I don't want to get ahead of myself :rolleyes:)

Me :smile:
Original post by *sugarplumfairy*

Original post by *sugarplumfairy*
My cambridge offer for Classics is 1.3 overall with 14 in English and Maths (which are my LKs):smile: I find it strange that they don´t ask for specific grades in Latin, and 1.3 is not that high. However, 14 points in the exams will be tough as my teachers rarely award 14 points-.-

lol I used to study in Germany up until 8. Klasse. Seriously German education system is a nightmare!!! They teach you stuff that you don't even need. It was really boring, I went to a Gymnasium in Frankfurt. And your grades will depend more on how much your teacher likes you - here in England it's only the exams that matter and not a "Mündliche Note"!
Reply 954
College: St. John's
Offer: A*AA Biology/ Chemistry/ Maths

yes! :smile:
Any other Christ's medics? Or just Christ's offer holders in general!? I can only remember seeing two other people on here with offers from Christ's, there must be more of us out there!

this.
Reply 957
Original post by indifferencepersonified
Any other Christ's medics? Or just Christ's offer holders in general!? I can only remember seeing two other people on here with offers from Christ's, there must be more of us out there!

*waves*
Reply 958
Original post by Lyam
*waves*

Rage. I get negged for everything. I thanked a Cam. graduate on here for making contributions back to their college and got negged. :frown:
offer for english at peterhouse! it's really high, does anyone know why that is?
p.s given that i might be meeting some of you next year, i should explain that my friend helped me make my account, hence the name. it's innapropriate but not without foundation! ; )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending