The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 560
Original post by blonde-beth
thank yoou! i got my colouring book in the post today, i feel like such a kid :biggrin:

Awesome! I am most definitely considering getting that, let me know if it's any use! (:
Reply 561
Original post by crazylemon
Medical management talk today. Very interesting to see how it looks healthcare is heading...

What're your thoughts on it? I'm very concerned about quite a bit of it, but I think some ideas do have potential, especially in primary care - however it's secondary care I'm most worried about. The Professor of Medicine here at UCH resigned due to 'the way the NHS is heading'.
Original post by i'm no superman
Bah consent. :pierre:

We have to tape a clinical interview, then transcribe and analyse our performance for coursework. I was speaking to someone today who taped all of their interviews and was getting into the analysis when they realised that they hadn't had the patients sign the consent forms. :facepalm2:
Original post by i'm no superman
It's good that you're still involved and busy in student activities...etc. I've certainly toned it down this year. So what are you rehearsing for? Revue? A musical?

I think RAG fortnight is happening the first two weeks after exams so mid-Februaryish. Really looking forward to it! Not sure of the theme as of yet but I'll let you know when I do.

Tooting's not bad. It's stressful to know that the written exam in a few weeks will be 2/3 based on semester 3 (MSS/neuro) and 1/3 based on semesters 1 + 2 (basically every system in the body). I'm almost done with semester 3 revision leaving me just over a week to cram everything I learned in first year. Reckon it's possible lol? I'm hoping I'll be able to blag my way through psychology, sociology and all the models/theories thrown in too. Because knowing the specific, patterning and gate control theory of pain is going to make me become a better doctor. Load of *******s. :p:

Yeah! Opposite here. Seem to have upped the number of ECs I'm doing this year which is kinda stupid because this year is considered one if the harder ears of medical school here at BL. Have the panto three days this week starting tomorrow but rehearsals seem to have taken over my life since the start of term.I'm also
In our annual BLAS (BL Asian Soc) show and the RAG show. I'm in a Bollywood dance for the BLAS show which is well tough considering I've never done it before! Also in an African dance and 2 very different catwalks. Then for the RAG show, I'm in a few catwalks as well. Was in a Latin dance, hip hop dance and two other dances before hand but had to drop out or else I'd end up with a dance degree as opposed to a medical degree the rate at which I was going! :p: Also have my LAS
Prehospital care SSC to prepare for starting next week which is quite exciting - got quite a few night shifts!! Oh and I'm training for the London marathon in the midst of all this! Only 12 weeks to go now! :eek3:

You have a RAG fortnight?? We just have the one week. Unfair. Lol. Just got home from a RAG meeting where the events for RAG week were announced. Sound so awesome!! RAG week starts 18th March.

Oh you have exams now?? We dont until early march! And I do agree, gate theory of pain - what the hell man??? And if course it's cool to cram in a year's work in a few weeks - it's you!! Genius!

Will you be at Tiger On Tues? Apparently it's equivalent to 999 earlier this year. Was thinking about going. It's during my SSC week which is good!

In other news, I got reunited with my uni dad this evening absolutely pissed off his head - and it was only like half 7!! Hadn't seen him for ages before hand so 'twas jokes!

EDIT: Ignore my typos - using my phone. :/
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 564
We didn't really touch on primary care much other than that a worry about giving such a large amount of the NHS budget to private contractors (GPs) that their will be conflict of interest.

As for everything else that doctors are going to become more and more managers along with being clinicians.

I personally think this is exciting but obviously there are many that do not.

Thing is, there isn't alot of management in the MBBS course. Also, consider that if we do learn management as medics, it will have to shove something else OUT of the curriculum, what gets kicked out?
Original post by Wangers
Thing is, there isn't alot of management in the MBBS course. Also, consider that if we do learn management as medics, it will have to shove something else OUT of the curriculum, what gets kicked out?

Public Health? :ahee:
Reply 566
They were saying they want it brought in plus at the college level, so we will see it at junior doctor level most likely by the time I get there.

I don't know what would go, our anatomy is as paired down as it can be without just handing us a copy of grays and telling us to go learn it.

But it is coming I think. I would like to say take out clinical communication stuff but that is never going to happen...

We learn whatever is on the curriculum, I think if they packed in management, somehow, medics would probably just crack on with it and learn it. I wouldn't be surprised if they put it in as a DIY at some point. I think nurses on the degree course have management placements. I think it could be bought in as part of the iBsc year, the general MBBS curriculum is pretty packed in terms of teaching time, but in terms of material, if they forced the issue, I think it could be crammed. Some awareness is better than none. If you think about it, they are giving GPs the vast majority of the NHS budget - no other sane organisation would transfer management on such a scale with the enormous budgets involved to Partners who are used to essentially running a small business. With all respect to GPs, this could be a fail playing itself out in slow motion.
But it is coming I think. I would like to say take out clinical communication stuff but that is never going to happen...

pre-clinical or clinical communication skills stuff?
So everyone in the uni is finishing their exams in the next few days. I've got another 2 weeks before mine start. Hmph.

Anyone got any tips for remembering drug names? I can't find a bearable way of learning 'use X or Y for Z' when we haven't learnt anything about the actual drugs.
Original post by felt_monkey
Anyone got any tips for remembering drug names? I can't find a bearable way of learning 'use X or Y for Z' when we haven't learnt anything about the actual drugs.

why are you being made to memorise drugs without knowing their mechanism? :confused: what kinds of drugs do you mean? is it feasible to learn the relevant phys&pharm before your exam? rote learn is terrible if it can be helped!

Pre-clin

well we don't have formal stuff on that anyway :p: sooooo gutted about that because it sounds so helpful.....
We have to do a health service management SSU in the later years.
Original post by John Locke
why are you being made to memorise drugs without knowing their mechanism? :confused: what kinds of drugs do you mean? is it feasible to learn the relevant phys&pharm before your exam? rote learn is terrible if it can be helped!

Exactly, it's a joke. I'm looking at a table on a lecture slide, it's stuff like 'MSSA: Use flucloxacillin or clindamycin. Alternatively, glycopeptides, linezolid or doxycycline'. I'm effectively just learning long words. I don't really want to give myself extra work, but if it will make it easier...
Reply 572
Also something to note perhaps, I didn't really sign up to be a manager, I signed up to primarily be a clinician. I imagine most other applicants did too. Some knowledge outside of medicine is clearly needed, but doing specificity and sensitivity calculations, some parts of epidemiology and sociology I find quite dry and, to my current knowledge, not overly necessary.
Original post by Woody.
Also something to note perhaps, I didn't really sign up to be a manager, I signed up to primarily be a clinician. I imagine most other applicants did too. Some knowledge outside of medicine is clearly needed, but doing specificity and sensitivity calculations, some parts of epidemiology and sociology I find quite dry and, to my current knowledge, not overly necessary.

That's not really management stuff, though, that's necessary to be able to understand why you order one test over another, and why one disease should figure far more highly in your differential than another.
Reply 574
Original post by Becca-Sarah
That's not really management stuff, though, that's necessary to be able to understand why you order one test over another, and why one disease should figure far more highly in your differential than another.

I know, and I agree that some of it is important, I didn't mention any managerial stuff as I haven't been taught any yet, but I imagine some would come in (hopefully to the expense of some of the perhaps 'less relevant' areas of the fields I mentioned - however I must say I am quite naive on their use only being a first year) when the NHS changes take place.
Reply 575
So everyone in the uni is finishing their exams in the next few days. I've got another 2 weeks before mine start. Hmph.

:ditto:
Original post by Woody.
I know, and I agree that some of it is important, I didn't mention any managerial stuff as I haven't been taught any yet, but I imagine some would come in (hopefully to the expense of some of the perhaps 'less relevant' areas of the fields I mentioned - however I must say I am quite naive on their use only being a first year) when the NHS changes take place.

Dunno about managerial stuff - but trust me - the boring stuff in pre-clin with journals and shizzle, you'll definitely appreciate in BSc year :smile:
Reply 577
ooo whats it for?

As for advice how long have you got before the application?

It's an exchange program with TMDU to conduct the final 10 weeks of your 4th year research project in Tokyo. 10 are chosen for interviews based on 1st and 2nd year marks, and only 4 are chosen.

Application deadline is March 1 - I'm already trying to search out as much volunteer research as possible, setting up a teaching group, doing my own research etc.

Can't really think of anything else, short of mastering Hiragana, that I could do relating to academic medicine in Tokyo?

I'm confident with my grades and EC, but I've been a bit of a tit throughout medical school and thus my record doesn't exactly scream international Imperial representative... so I'm prepared to work solidly on my CV for the next month.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 578
Exactly, it's a joke. I'm looking at a table on a lecture slide, it's stuff like 'MSSA: Use flucloxacillin or clindamycin. Alternatively, glycopeptides, linezolid or doxycycline'. I'm effectively just learning long words. I don't really want to give myself extra work, but if it will make it easier...

You won't really be tested on those drugs. From what I remember from first year semester 1 the only real pharmacology is all the NMJ stuff e.g vecuronium, suxamethonium, neostigmine etc.
Placement and logbooks has really helped with me learning the different classes of various drugs - it seemed to be something that everyone in my PBL group knew and I didn't. And I was especially proud to know why someone who'd had a stroke was put on clopidogrel rather than aspirin and (the other one I can't remember - dopy something?)

Latest

Trending

Trending