The Student Room Group

OCR Salters F334 Chemistry of Materials (26/01/2011)

Scroll to see replies

Strangely I thought the exam was.... ok? Which worries me even more!

I liked the amino acids question though! I think I wrote (AAU-) TTA for the first part and 'ala-asn-val' for the second part (from the front of the data sheet)

What did everyone else write? x
Original post by parallal
I got 24 but I think I messed up on the units.

What units did you get? I think I got like mol-2 dm6 s-1... ?
Reply 222
Original post by hidden_desire
What units did you get? I think I got like mol-2 dm6 s-1... ?

I think I put s-1 mol-3 dm6....

And I just realised I answered the second part of that mRNA question wrong. I put the letters of the complimentary bases instead of the names "ala-asn-val"

I'm kicking myself right now....
Original post by parallal
I think I put s-1 mol-3 dm6....

And I just realised I answered the second part of that mRNA question wrong. I put the letters of the complimentary bases instead of the names "ala-asn-val"

I'm kicking myself right now....

Oh. And dw - I could be wrong! I'm kicking myself because I got the acyl chloride and phenol reaction wrong (the product) GRRRR. I'm such a douche.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 224
Original post by Ro27
January 2010 raw mark was 65
June 2010 raw mark was 64
(For an A, out of 90)

Is this a trend emerging do you think?
Surely they can't drop it to high 50s?!?!

Maths has dropped from 60 to as low as 49 out of 75, so you never know...
The Rate was 2.4 x 10-3 if I remember right.

The orders were 1, 1 and 2 and results for the concentrations for Experiment 2 (this was the one you had to use) were 0.2, 0.1 and 0.1 respectively so...

(2.4 x 10-3) / (0.2 x 0.1 x 0.1^2) = 12

(Experiment 1 gave you 24):
(2.4 x 10-3) / (0.1 x 0.1 x 0.1^2) = 24 but I believe it asked you to use the data from Experiment 2 (not 1)

Someone tell me I'm wrong otherwise?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by brooker_92

The orders were 1, 1 and 2 and results for the concentrations for Experiment 2 (this was the one you had to use) were 0.2, 0.1 and 0.1 respectively so...

(2.4 x 10-3) / (0.2 x 0.1 x 0.1^2) = 12 (Experiment 1 gave you 24)

Ohhhh. That's probably where I went wrong.... Aah well. I hope I get ecf marks anyway
:s:
Reply 227

(2.4 x 10-3) / (0.1 x 0.1 x 0.1^2) = 24 but I believe it asked you to use the data from Experiment 2 (not 1)

exactly nd the units were mol-3dm+9s-1
Reply 228

ahh, oopsies :smile:
On the last page, did they ask for the name or the shape of the complex ion? Me and my friends can't remember but some of us named it and others put the shape :frown:
Original post by alexlemon2
On the last page, did they ask for the name or the shape of the complex ion? Me and my friends can't remember but some of us named it and others put the shape :frown:

Co-ordination number, shape and colour
Reply 231
THIS EXAM WAS REALLY HARD. Seems like it had more sypnotic than ever, all the stuff i revised for never came up. Electrochemical cells,bos, transistionmetals,the organic chemistry.

Like all the polymer question was synpotic and not the stuff we learnt. Even the poly we had to draw for the repating unit was last years...
Reply 232
Original post by alexlemon2

It said the name of the shape. I thought it was name first then went back and saw it asked for the shape- octahedral.
Reply 233
What did people put down for ( i think) why the proportion of reactants used was small. I just said because if they were high then it would be zero order ;S
Also what about the question for why the polymer without cross links was soluble.

I overall thought the paper was ok but the cross links question eughh
Original post by peri93
What did people put down for ( i think) why the proportion of reactants used was small. I just said because if they were high then it would be zero order ;S
Also what about the question for why the polymer without cross links was soluble.

I overall thought the paper was ok but the cross links question eughh

The un-linked one had COOH groups which allowed hydrogen bonds to form with water, therefore it's soluble. But then for the cross-linked chains, I wasn't really sure because some of the methods still left the COOH intact and they didn't tell you which one they were talking about. Just said something about water molecules not being able to get inbetween the chains?
Original post by Kooper
Am I allowed to say I thought it was a really good paper? There was loads of physicsy stuff and almost no biology, which was good for me, but might not be good for all you biologists...

I loved this paper even though I didn't do physics, I should have chosen physics and I chose biology even though i'm **** at it. This test was easy. Since grade boundaries are low I probably got at least 83 UMS
i actually thought this exam went really well! i am really glad that there was a 6 mark colorimetry question :smile:
what did anyone get for the calculation on the last page?
The un-linked one had COOH groups which allowed hydrogen bonds to form with water, therefore it's soluble. But then for the cross-linked chains, I wasn't really sure because some of the methods still left the COOH intact and they didn't tell you which one they were talking about. Just said something about water molecules not being able to get inbetween the chains?

I wrote that the cross links were intermolecular forces and the one with links cannot make any more links with the water while the one without cross links can because they can make more intermolecular bonds i.e. hydrogen bonding with the water.
For the nickel-cadmium cell question thingy.

When it asked you the write down the equation when the cell was being recharged.

What did you guys put? Did you put it the opposite way round from how the electrons would flow normally?!?!?!

Also for the polymer repeating unit questions I got a di-ester or something, I had a c=0 connected to a 0 connected to another c=0 in the middle...anyone else get this?

Original post by jam277
I wrote that the cross links were intermolecular forces and the one with links cannot make any more links with the water while the one without cross links can because they can make more intermolecular bonds i.e. hydrogen bonding with the water.

cross links are covalent bonds...at least I hope they are.
What did everyone get for the one about mass spec? Like the mass of the peak at 94 and what not?

Quick Reply

Latest