The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

My application has been received by a college and its been like this for 2 weeks .. Can someone tell me how quickly theres went from AES to UCAS and does it usually take a while? Little bit worried im one of those few who got approved by the department but not the college
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Kayleyyyy
I'm from the South :smile:

ah ok, I live in Rome so I was just curious :smile:
Original post by webber8345
ah ok, I live in Rome so I was just curious :smile:

Oh Rome! Nice! Are you italian?
Reply 3183
Original post by Dunnowhattoputhere
My application has been received by a college and its been like this for 2 weeks .. Can someone tell me how quickly theres went from AES to UCAS and does it usually take a while? Little bit worried im one of those few who got approved by the department but not the college

tough to get a good estimate as timing seems to be all over the place . . . however, I'd say it is awfully early in the cycle to have run out of places for any subject at the entire university. Also, I doubt there is any harm calling the dept and asking.
Oh Rome! Nice! Are you italian?

No, but I've come here every year since my nan's lived here for about 40 years. We moved here about 6 years ago - it's shocking my Italian isn't better, but I'm trying! :smile:
Do you do the liceo? What have you applied for at Durham?
No, but I've come here every year since my nan's lived here for about 40 years. We moved here about 6 years ago - it's shocking my Italian isn't better, but I'm trying! :smile:
Do you do the liceo? What have you applied for at Durham?

Yes I attend Classical Studies (Liceo Classico) ; I applied for PPE :smile:
What about you? Do you go to school?University?
Reply 3186
Hi Guys!!

I'm already a student at Durham University I'm studying sociology at Josephine Butler College.

Feel free to ask me anything about university life! You'll all love it here in Durham! :smile:
I got rejected for History and English combined two days ago. They sent an email explaining about how competitive it is and so on; I'm not bitter, it was totally fair enough. I'm sure there are many, many worthy applicants out there but the places are limited and not everyone who is worthy of one will always be able to get one. I got my four other offers and will probably go to Exeter instead. Congrats to all who recieved offers! :biggrin:
Reply 3188
Any modern languages applicants heard anything from Durham yet? :smile:
Yes I attend Classical Studies (Liceo Classico) ; I applied for PPE :smile:
What about you? Do you go to school?University?

Yea, I do the IB at a British International School here. I would never have been able to choose which liceo I'd want to do, though I guess it doesn't limit you like I thought it did. I mean, you do classico but you've applied for PPE and they're not necessarily related so thats quite nice :smile:
Yea, I do the IB at a British International School here. I would never have been able to choose which liceo I'd want to do, though I guess it doesn't limit you like I thought it did. I mean, you do classico but you've applied for PPE and they're not necessarily related so thats quite nice :smile:

Yes It's true :smile: So next year,are you going to University?
Yes It's true :smile: So next year,are you going to University?

That's the plan if all goes well :smile:
That's the plan if all goes well :smile:

Cool :biggrin: What would you like to study?
Hi guys,

I was just wondering if anyone else was offered a place on a different course from the one they applied for? I applied for Psychology and Philosophy at all my universities and Durham offered me a place for just Psychology. Do you think I should email or phone the admissions office and ask why, or ask if they can change the offer?

I wouldn't mind doing just Psychology and Durham was my first choice of university, so I'm really excited I got a place at all, but obviously I'd prefer to do the course I applied for if possible.

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 3194
Original post by rebeccap
I am no longer a Chem NatSci, they emailed and said because Chemistry is so popular they can't offer me a space in that but can still consider me for NatSci without chemistry, so I'm still waiting to hear if I get an offer for biology and maths instead. I was never completely sure if I wanted to do chem or not anyway. I applied to St. Chads but I'm not tooo bothered about college, I didn't really know anything much about the colleges so asked a friends who's sister was at Durham about colleges and her sister suggested that one and it sounded fine so I picked it :P

What offer did you get? What are you doing as well as Chemistry?? Got offers from any other unis yet? Is Durham your first choice??
Hopefully get an offer, and then probably firm Durham unless I decide I really want to do chemistry, in which case I'll accept Nottingham (natsci - chem, bio and maths)

Similar for me - Chem was my second subject, so that's now been changed to German. :biggrin: Once you've let them know, you should get moved to a college pretty quickly, assuming you haven't already - I sent off my email on Saturday, got a reply on Monday, and got sent to a college today. =]

It looks like there's quite a bit of Chem in the Biology modules, assuming you want to do the Cell stuff, as opposed to whole organisms.
Original post by aef27
I sent mine off in early October too, and mine was only sent to the college on Friday, so I wouldn't worry.

What subject are you applying for?

That makes me feel a bit relieved. I've applied for Biology with industrial placement.:smile:
Original post by pianofluteftw
Same (except on 12th :tongue:) - I'm assuming you are also Oxbridge? :smile:
What are you applying for?
And while it's worrying I take some hope in the fact that no news means no rejection, and they actually have until 31st March to make a decision :rolleyes:
But playing the waiting game is getting pretty tedious...

That's good to know.

And, no I'm not an oxbridge applicant...

I've applied for Biology with industrial placement at Liverpool, Birmingham and Reading and Optometry at Manchester. I have got offers from all those 4!:smile:
Original post by njs

Nooo, and it's making me increasingly nervous! What languages did you apply for? :smile:
Original post by njs

Original post by katey_doodles
Nooo, and it's making me increasingly nervous! What languages did you apply for? :smile:

I haven't heard for modern languages either! I applied to do french and spanish, which did you two apply for?
Original post by Olivia1234
I haven't heard for modern languages either! I applied to do french and spanish, which did you two apply for?

That's good! Well, not good, but comforting :smile:
I'm for French and Spanish too. What college did you apply for?

Latest