The Student Room Group

OCR Salters F334 Chemistry of Materials (26/01/2011)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Darthdevidem
For the nickel-cadmium cell question thingy.

When it asked you the write down the equation when the cell was being recharged.

What did you guys put? Did you put it the opposite way round from how the electrons would flow normally?!?!?!

Also for the polymer repeating unit questions I got a di-ester or something, I had a c=0 connected to a 0 connected to another c=0 in the middle...anyone else get this?

cross links are covalent bonds...at least I hope they are.

The (poly)acrylic acid?
I did this

But didn't show the double bond - abbreviated to COOH....
Original post by hidden_desire
The (poly)acrylic acid?
I did this

Me too dude
Original post by I'mBadAtMaths
What did everyone get for the one about mass spec? Like the mass of the peak at 94 and what not?

Was it 94 or 93?

94/93 : C6 H5/4 OH

And for the other one (211) I did the same molecule minus the OH group (228-211 = 17)
(edited 13 years ago)
The (poly)acrylic acid?
I did this

Oh nooooo I got that completely wrong. Do you remember how many marks was that worth? And were there any other questions based on that structure?
I liked that one :p: Was it 94 or 93?

94/93 : C6 H5/4 OH

And for the other one (211) I did the same molecule minus the OH group (228-211 = 17)

I put C6 H5 O+

No idea if that's right
Reply 245
This is the hardest exam out of all the past papers... This exam didnt even test your knoeldge of the core topics in A2.
I put C6 H5 O+

No idea if that's right

That would be right, I think you can right it as C6H40H +

or how you wrote it
I put C6 H5 O+

No idea if that's right

Shoooot I forgot the + sign. Grrrr, I need to get off this thread, its depressing me!
Oh nooooo I got that completely wrong. Do you remember how many marks was that worth? And were there any other questions based on that structure?

No idea and.... erm no other ones really spring to mind. Lol I'm a little useless :p:
Original post by cORBO3
This is the hardest exam out of all the past papers... This exam didnt even test your knoeldge of the core topics in A2.

Yeah seriously f*** this exam. I hope the grade boundaries are in the 50's or something /end of over-exaggerated rant
Reply 250
Original post by Conor 419
:colondollar:

I got 24

Did you plug that back into the equation to check rate came out correctly with that value?

I got that at first but realised it must have been 12 after checking.
Reply 251
Yeah seriously f*** this exam. I hope the grade boundaries are in the 50's or something /end of over-exaggerated rant

IN the past papers there were only a few marks on synotic eleents, but today, hmm
First question about 6 marks on e/z isomerism
and another 6 Marks on Polymers with last years, all the stuff we learnt about polymers never even came up apart from a condensation reaction for 2 marks.

And then the questions were so vauge, like the question after the rate equation, didn't know what it was asking.

If it was so symnotic heavy, I would actualy revise some of last years stuff.
Original post by AllUnits
Did you plug that back into the equation to check rate came out correctly with that value?

I got that at first but realised it must have been 12 after checking.

I got correct value after plugging 24 back in

Original post by cORBO3
IN the past papers there were only a few marks on synotic eleents, but today, hmm
First question about 6 marks on e/z isomerism
and another 6 Marks on Polymers with last years, all the stuff we learnt about polymers never even came up apart from a condensation reaction for 2 marks.

And then the questions were so vauge, like the question after the rate equation, didn't know what it was asking.

If it was so symnotic heavy, I would actualy revise some of last years stuff.

I agree, but even more than synoptic my problem is the vague questions. They should be testing our knowledge, not detective skills.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 253
I definitely counted 10 15ish marks which I struggled greatly on, but I'll probably pick up a few of them. The general reaction at my college was that it wasn't too bad except a few questions. I guess it is just what you got taught and what not...
Oh thank GOD I got the repeating unit question right.

On a related note it was a bit of a mean paper in areas. Honestly it threw me a bit when we were asked a fair few synoptic questions. I mean the polymer question was rediculous what's the point of learning about condensation polymers if they're just gonna test us on ones we did last year.
Reply 255
Before this exam i was aiming for a A, I'd be happy with a C now.

I'm prepared to retake this anyways.
Reply 256
Original post by peri93
What did people put down for ( i think) why the proportion of reactants used was small. I just said because if they were high then it would be zero order ;S

I put that they needed to be in excess so the only concentration changing was the concentration of the reactant you were measuring - could be completely wrong though :s-smilie:
Just Horrendous.
Original post by The Next Left
Were OCR smoking crack through their eyeballs when they wrote this ****? What the **** was all this paper about? As if all the synoptic crap like E/Z Isomerism, IR Spectroscopy and cross linkages wasn't enough, they then twist all of the A2 course content into vague, impossible and non-related rubbish. I am seriously pissed off at OCR for writing such a crap paper, which we are all now going to have to pay to resit, what a surprise. I am genuinely shocked that they can write papers as crap, vague and unrelated as this. Did they actually read this paper when they'd finished and think they'd done a good job?

Anyway yeah completely screwed up the paper, I really don't think I knew the answer to 85% of the questions. The first question was just ridiculous - it was on What's in a Medicine. Why do they question us on molecules that we haven't studied? I'm pretty sure that we were supposed to assume that molecule would just do the same thing as a phenol, even though they added in double carbon bonds etc. I've looked in the textbook and the reactions of phenols gets about a quarter of a page in writing - no diagrams or anything. Then when the rest of What's in a Med topic came up (reactions of esters, carboxylic acids) it was woefully vague and massively unapparent. The other topics, Steel Story, Materials Revolution, and Thread of Life were just focused around completely unrelated things - they didn't test us on the core course content. Materials revolution was basically all synoptic with that cross links crap and Thread of Life was that DNA/mRNA thing and I have genuinely never even covered that and I have an excellent chemistry teacher.

Out of ten I would give this paper minus infinity.

QFT.

Was a bitch of a paper tbh, so many ways they twisted what we'd learnt. After the first couple I thought maybe they'd let up a bit but they didn't, it as just like they added an extra layer of complexity to every question compared to normal.
Original post by xPixie
Moi aussi! :frown: Sad Mechanics times :frown: Thank god it'll be over by tomorrow (actually, today.. :tongue:)
I'm aiming for a D in M1 :tongue:

How did you find them? :biggrin: Question 7 in M1 was a b**ch. 10 marks down the drain! :grin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending