The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nuttynatz
I'm from South Africa, but have lived in Portugal for the last 2 years. I know what you mean by the identity crisis though:biggrin:- my parents are british, I live in Portugal but I was born in South Africa... ah well... what can you do :tongue:

haha, yea, exactly! Where in South Africa are you from? I've never been but I'd love to.
Yea, my parents are a combination of english, american, irish, swedish and i was born in New York but moved when I was 1 1/2 to PNG and since then we've moved around about every 4 years until we ended up in Rome.
I remember when I was about 9 someone asked me where I was from and there was just this long pause.. and I eventually came out with "..Australian!" lol, I'm not sure where that came from!

Did this conversation start because we both applied for Hatfield? Why did you choose it? I swear it was suuuch a pro-con list thing for me and even then it was hard, all the colleges were nice!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by spocckka
Collingwood college confirmed for engineering! Anybody going to the open day there?

Yeah, I'm going on the 21st March :smile:
Reply 3242
Original post by Rilel
Got an email yesterday from NatSci director, saying that he couldn't give me an offer for Biology with Chemistry as a second subject, but if I got back to him within a week, he'd "be happy to fast-track your [my] application". All the Chemistry places are full, apparently.

So, it sort of sounds both good and bad - I'll probably get an offer, but now I have to choose something other than Chemistry. On that subject, do any current/prospective/offer-holding NatSci people know if it's possible to combine a science with a language in the first year, doing a 3:3 or 4:2 split?

Well I've got a provisional offer (i.e. sent to college) to do Maths and French via NatSci, with each subject making up half. I'm told that so long as at least half of your modules are taken in natural science subject(s), you can take up to half of your modules in pretty much any other field.
Reply 3243
Original post by steffanie
Haha, I was like that, my parents laughed at me because I got so excited :frown:
You'll get to get all excited all over again when you get your email as well :biggrin:
Are you going to the open day?

aawww thank you for the support! yeh im going but i dont know what college i did an open application :smile: what college are you?
Original post by webber8345
haha, yea, exactly! Where in South Africa are you from? I've never been but I'd love to.
Yea, my parents are a combination of english, american, irish, swedish and i was born in New York but moved when I was 1 1/2 to PNG and since then we've moved around about every 4 years until we ended up in Rome.
I remember when I was about 9 someone asked me where I was from and there was just this long pause.. and I eventually came out with "..Australian!" lol, I'm not sure where that came from!

Did this conversation start because we both applied for Hatfield? Why did you choose it? I swear it was suuuch a pro-con list thing for me and even then it was hard, all the colleges were nice!

From Johannesburg:tongue: I know that basically every south african living abroad is from there... but hey, I'm not a very original person:biggrin: I love it there, just such a shame coz of the crime otherwise it would be the best country in the world :wink:.. but still it is definitly somewhere worth visiting (and I'm not saying that coz I'm from there, it really is stunning, and the people are so friendly!)

Wow... you really are an international child.. you could put the UN to shame:wink: can understand why you're confused about your identity... still, being Australian is as good as any to be, they have an awesome accent and kangaroos :tongue: what 9 year old wouldn't want to be aussie :smile:

Yeah, I think it did because I'm pretty sure you didn't apply for law. TBH, I love old traditional things (especially the whole gown at dinner thing- I don't know why but it seems really cool! I'm strange I know:tongue:) and so I knew I wanted to be in a Bailey College, and I chose Hatfield because it seemed to tick all the boxes, There wasn't one that I just didn't like, but Hatfield seemed to have a really nice atmosphere, I know its pretty oversubscribed but I thought I would take my chances. It was a pretty tough descision though tehy were all so great!, but Durham as a uni seems so nice, so I know I'll be happy wherever I end up (if I end up there:biggrin:)

Why did you?
Original post by mlsdbk
aawww thank you for the support! yeh im going but i dont know what college i did an open application :smile: what college are you?

I'll be at Josephine Butler :smile:
It might be in your useful links?
If you wanted to spoil the surprise :tongue:
Reply 3246
I'll be at Josephine Butler :smile:
It might be in your useful links?
If you wanted to spoil the surprise :tongue:

haha i looked but nothing.. my aes hasn't even updated.. my application never got sent to college which is weird i just got an offer.. it still says at department haha so i have no idea why the college should have picked me first! maybe they didnt update or something :smile: what subject are you doing?
Original post by mlsdbk
haha i looked but nothing.. my aes hasn't even updated.. my application never got sent to college which is weird i just got an offer.. it still says at department haha so i have no idea why the college should have picked me first! maybe they didnt update or something :smile: what subject are you doing?

Aah, they must have really loved you!
I'm doing law :smile: What about you?
Hi :smile:

I got my UCAS offer yesterday for Music and I guess from this you find out your college from your letter, as mine's not under Colleges on the AES. Any ideas how long it'll take between getting the offer and getting the letter? I'm obviously too impatient but I'd love to know :tongue:
Reply 3249
Aah, they must have really loved you!
I'm doing law :smile: What about you?

Economics :smile: im so happy its my first offer so i was feeling really low and my first choice! I adore durham :smile: you definately firming? and where else did you apply
Original post by SecretSmiles
Hi :smile:

I got my UCAS offer yesterday for Music and I guess from this you find out your college from your letter, as mine's not under Colleges on the AES. Any ideas how long it'll take between getting the offer and getting the letter? I'm obviously too impatient but I'd love to know :tongue:

It was about a week for me :smile:
Original post by mlsdbk
Economics :smile: im so happy its my first offer so i was feeling really low and my first choice! I adore durham :smile: you definately firming? and where else did you apply

Must have been very reassuring for your first offer!
I applied to Oxford, UCL, KCL and Exeter as well. Rejection from Oxford, offer from Exeter and nothing from the others, so I'm waiting on those before I decide :smile:
No idea how I'd ever decide if either of the others gave me an offer, I'm the most indecisive person :biggrin:
What about you?
Original post by Keckers

Original post by Keckers
Yeah, I'm going on the 21st March :smile:

me too!! collingwood right? :biggrin:
are you staying then night before?
Original post by FruitBombs
me too!! collingwood right? :biggrin:
are you staying then night before?

Erm, I'm staying over night, I can't remember which dates, but the monday and tuesday... whenever that is. you?
Original post by FallenProject
AAB Theology, Josephine Butler. However I'm trying to change colleges as I don't want self catered (I didn't realise there was a totally self catered college when i put my open application in)

yaaaay theology
i want an offer!
Original post by Keckers

Original post by Keckers
Erm, I'm staying over night, I can't remember which dates, but the monday and tuesday... whenever that is. you?

i don't know :s-smilie: haha i'm excited but i'm not gonna think about it much until exams are over!

i don't like how they're asking us to paying for accommodation, i don't mean to sound annoying but oxbridge don't ask for any payment
Reply 3256
Must have been very reassuring for your first offer!
I applied to Oxford, UCL, KCL and Exeter as well. Rejection from Oxford, offer from Exeter and nothing from the others, so I'm waiting on those before I decide :smile:
No idea how I'd ever decide if either of the others gave me an offer, I'm the most indecisive person :biggrin:
What about you?

I applied to nottingham, york, durham, leeds and sussex :smile: definitely firming durham i love it :smile: good luck with your applications.. but i would choose durham i just love it :smile: your choice though!
Reply 3257
Original post by mlsdbk

Congrats! Well done. Your first offer from your first choice - great stuff. You did well to keep sane in the meantime though - respect!:smile:
Reply 3258
Original post by kninja
Congrats! Well done. Your first offer from your first choice - great stuff. You did well to keep sane in the meantime though - respect!:smile:

Haha thank you! i went from no offers and feeling unwanted to an offer from my favourite uni :smile: it was soo amazing! what subject did you apply for?
Original post by mlsdbk
I applied to nottingham, york, durham, leeds and sussex :smile: definitely firming durham i love it :smile: good luck with your applications.. but i would choose durham i just love it :smile: your choice though!

Ooh nice :smile:
I know what you mean, I think I'd like the actual city more than I would London, I like little, old traditional cities :biggrin:

Latest