The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Mathematics at UCL

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Zuzuzu
Snap, I live in a similarly as **** town, and I know it's a common, maybe even clichéd, thing to say but I actually can't wait to move away for university. Of UCL and Imperial, I get the distinct feeling that UCL is the more, for want of a better word, 'fun' place to be and Imperial the more studious, academically focussed uni - and whilst sharing a similar reputation with employers, despite Imperial having the better reputation for maths, if I had two unconditionals from them, I think I'd go for UCL. Ah well, if Cambridge doesn't work out, UCL and London are both brilliant places to spend three years at/in. :biggrin:

High five for people who live in boring places! Except not really, because it's no fun at all :tongue: UCL sounds like a lot more fun, but I also want to be a mathematician and get into academia and stuff, so I'd like to go to the uni with the best reputation for my course possible. But they're both fantastic - it's not like I'm choosing between ICL and Thames Valley - so it's probably better to be somewhere where you'd be happier studying.

Taking all of my maths modules this January was my original plan to free up timetable space for STEP and AEA preparation.. but yeah, that didn't happen how I would've liked - I have 4 modules in Summer now. Btw, how long do you reckon it would take to self-teach Core 4? It's pretty much crucial that that's nailed before any serious STEP work begins. Anyway, I'm not worrying about my maths and further maths grades for my offers too much, should be A*A* it's just the final A that will ever be in any real doubt - but even then I'd need to get low/middling Bs in my A2 modules to drop down a grade.

I taught myself C4 in a week :cool: Although that was half-term, so I wasn't doing much else. It's not horrendously challenging, really. Ooh, are you doing both STEP and AEA? I'll have STEP II and STEP III this summer, plus two German exams and three maths modules, and there was me thinking that 5 exams was a light workload - I had 14 last summer :rolleyes: I don't think the a-level requirement is really the hard bit; it's STEP that's horrible.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 21
Hi. New here, just thought I'd join a few thread :smile: I do IB - my offer is 39 with 7 in math higher level. How does UCL compare with Warwick in terms of the course?
Reply 22
Original post by kerily
I taught myself C4 in a week :cool: Although that was half-term, so I wasn't doing much else. It's not horrendously challenging, really. Ooh, are you doing both STEP and AEA? I'll have STEP II and STEP III this summer, plus two German exams and three maths modules, and there was me thinking that 5 exams was a light workload - I had 14 last summer :rolleyes: I don't think the a-level requirement is really the hard bit; it's STEP that's horrible.

Ah, that's relieving, I've heard stories from people that have already done both C3 and C4 that Core 4 is easier than Core 3. Having a quick scan through the topics for C4 on AQA, though, they don't seem as interesting as C3's... I love calculus and our (AQA's) C3 is loaded with it.

Yeah, I'm sitting STEP II and III for my offer. I self-taught core 3 over the summer, so maths lessons weren't really beneficial as I'd already covered the material, so my teacher gave me some AEAs to do in lesson and I really liked them.. Tbh, I found the style of question enjoyable, much like maths challenges, rather than STEP which makes me actually want to headdesk at times. So yeah, I'm taking both AEA and STEP (hopefully I, II and III if it's allowed this year; I and III have been scheduled on different dates for the first time so I dunno)..

I have 4 maths modules (C4, S1, FP2 and FP3), 2 physics exams, computing and general studies in the summer - how fun. It also happens that the majority (5) of these lie in the dreadful 20th to 24th week alongside STEP - double fun. :rolleyes:
Reply 23
Original post by mdcc
Hi. New here, just thought I'd join a few thread :smile: I do IB - my offer is 39 with 7 in math higher level. How does UCL compare with Warwick in terms of the course?

I can't speak about the course at UCL, but the one at Warwick is very good. To be honest, i'm quite surprised that people on this thread planning to apply to Cambridge are also planning to keep UCL as their insurance and ignoring Imperial and Warwick. Don't get me wrong, i think UCL is a great uni, but after oxbridge the next step down in terms of reputation would go to the latter two. Warwick is strong in the pure side of maths, while Imperial i'd imagine is strong in the applied side. Of course, if the decision is based on something other than academia, then fair enough.

There's a comparison of Mathematics departments at several universities done by someone at Manchester. I think prospective applicants would find it very useful; google it if you get a chance.
Reply 24
Original post by KSP
I can't speak about the course at UCL, but the one at Warwick is very good. To be honest, i'm quite surprised that people on this thread planning to apply to Cambridge are also planning to keep UCL as their insurance and ignoring Imperial and Warwick. Don't get me wrong, i think UCL is a great uni, but after oxbridge the next step down in terms of reputation would go to the latter two. Warwick is strong in the pure side of maths, while Imperial i'd imagine is strong in the applied side. Of course, if the decision is based on something other than academia, then fair enough.

There's a comparison of Mathematics departments at several universities done by someone at Manchester. I think prospective applicants would find it very useful; google it if you get a chance.

I'm pretty sure the reason people don't use Imperial and Warwick as insurance is because their standard offers are probably the highest, after Cambridge.
Reply 25
Original post by KSP

I know that it goes COWI and then Durham/UCL in terms of maths prestige, but my problem is STEP. I don't want both my firm and insurance to involve a STEP offer - I'm susceptible to exam stress (not to mention that the STEP exams are just generally horrible) but I can't afford next year's fees, so I want to be sure that even if I fail STEP miserably, I'm still going to uni. It's such a shame that my ICL offer has STEP in it for this reason.
Reply 26
Original post by mdcc

Wow, 39 with a 7 in HL maths? That is rather high for a maths department which is nothing more than a joke.

Seriously, you guys share your building with the UCL union. Have fun.
Reply 27
Original post by KSP

Thanks for the comment! I applied to both Imperial and Warwick as well. Got an offer from Warwick (which is exactly the same as the one from UCL, 39 w/ 7 in math hl), still waiting from Imperial. Imperial is my definite first choice, but IF (touchwood) I don't get it, it'll be between UCL and Warwick. The only thing about Warwick that bugs me is that it's in the middle of nowhere :frown:

Original post by sadhukar
Wow, 39 with a 7 in HL maths? That is rather high for a maths department which is nothing more than a joke.

Seriously, you guys share your building with the UCL union. Have fun.

Yea I've heard quite a few negative comments about the UCL Mathematics Department. The offer itself doesn't bug me though - I think they're generally high for Mathematics courses. I hope I can receive an offer from Imperial soon to spare me the decision of location vs course strength =/
Reply 28
Original post by mdcc
I think they're generally high for Mathematics courses. I hope I can receive an offer from Imperial soon to spare me the decision of location vs course strength =/

I wouldn't know but some unis have high offers so they can get a good score on the 'average tariff score' on the league tables but offer places to students who fail anyway. Bath is a huge offender of this, in fact Bath is a pretty fail uni for the entry requirements they're making you get (i.e. comparable to oxbridge and london)
Reply 29
Original post by sadhukar
I wouldn't know but some unis have high offers so they can get a good score on the 'average tariff score' on the league tables but offer places to students who fail anyway. Bath is a huge offender of this, in fact Bath is a pretty fail uni for the entry requirements they're making you get (i.e. comparable to oxbridge and london)

That is...such a low thing to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending