The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by krishanchopra
Yup, thats it!

Quite annoyed that they took 2 months to come up with that lol.

Hmm, that's not really very good actually. If they were going to reject you on your LNAT, it would be fairly instantaneous.

Sorry to hear though. Good luck with other universities :smile:
Original post by Cast.Iron
Have you ever been to Bristol? It's a fantastic city and the Law School is regarded as being in the same tier as Durham (albeit towards the bottom of said tier). I wasn't too taken by the city of Durham but I love the collegiate system, know that the Law School is better and I actually prefer the course (it's more flexible). So yeah, I am pretty much sure that I will be choosing Durham.

Never been. But I came very close to applying to Bristol. Initially I wasn't too keen on the city of Durham, either. In fact, my original plan was to apply to all London unis. (And fwiw, most of the US school I applied to are in DC and NYC, or at least within 30 minutes).

Now, I'm much less concerned with the cities. I doubt I'd have much time to even enjoy any city. Think about it this way--they say to treat a law degree like a 9-5 job. So Mon-Friday, you're studying. Factor in the gym, dinner and maybe a sport....that turns 9-5 into 9-8/9-9. How much energy are you really going to have at that point? Okay, so you have Friday/Saturday for a proper night out. Nothing a pub, klute, etc. can't solve. Plus you have Newcastle 15-20 minutes away, if you're dying for a proper club.

A girl in my school got me all hyped in an argument earlier today about this. She's going to go to NYU (a notoriously overpriced school, $60,000 a yr) so she can be in NYC. Her parents can't afford it and she's taking out loans. Nothing I hate more than someone who's going to take out 250k in loans for UG.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1922
Oh you, such a joker :wink:.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

:dontknow:
Original post by LornaSandison1
Hmm, that's not really very good actually. If they were going to reject you on your LNAT, it would be fairly instantaneous.

Sorry to hear though. Good luck with other universities :smile:

Cheers m8. Looks like its birmingham for me.

Would be interesting to know my LNAT score now. lol.

good luk tou2
Reply 1924
Original post by adam0311
Never been. But I came very close to applying to Bristol. Initially I wasn't too keen on the city of Durham, either. In fact, my original plan was to apply to all London unis. (And fwiw, most of the US school I applied to are in DC and NYC, or at least within 30 minutes).

Now, I'm much less concerned with the cities. I doubt I'd have much time to even enjoy any city. Think about it this way--they say to treat a law degree like a 9-5 job. So Mon-Friday, you're studying. Factor in the gym, dinner and maybe a sport....that turns 9-5 into 9-8/9-9. How much energy are you really going to have at that point? Okay, so you have Friday/Saturday for a proper night out. Nothing a pub, klute, etc. can't solve. Plus you have Newcastle 15-20 minutes away, if you're dying for a proper club.

That's meant to be a minimum I thought.
People not doing Law degrees at top unis that I know work Saturdays and Sundays too (or at least partially on Sunday.)

Agree about the nightlife thing though, I tend to think people who base their decision on "where I can vomit with the loudest music ringing in my ears" may not be taking it as seriously as it perhaps demands.

Joking obviously. :getmecoat:

good luk tou2

Sorry about ur rej
Can I ask when u sent ur application of to ucas
Original post by Mann18
That's meant to be a minimum I thought.
People not doing Law degrees at top unis that I know work Saturdays and Sundays too (or at least partially on Sunday.)

Agree about the nightlife thing though, I tend to think people who base their decision on "where I can vomit with the loudest music ringing in my ears" may not be taking it as seriously as it perhaps demands.

Joking obviously. :getmecoat:

Agreed.

Throw in a couple of hours on Sunday. Saturday off is fair. 1-3 hours more after you get back on a weekday night.

Once this concept clicked with me, the importance of location dropped quite a bit.
Yes, I do agree that I am not wholly au fait with the essay part. I does seem unfair that certain people get certain essay questions and others get completely different ones. However I don't think it would be possible to change that because obviously Pearson couldn't set the same 5 essay questions for everyone, but have those taking the LNAT in September tell people taking it in December what the questions are!!

I guess the idea is that Law students are expected to have a certain amount of general knowledge about current affairs to be able to answer sufficiently one of the 5 questions. Also, I'm led to believe that it's not really the content that you put in the essay that counts, more the way in which you write it. I had a beast of a question along the lines of "it is the mother who should be solely responsible for bringing up the child," for which my arguments (against) were terrible and quite predictable, but I think I structured my essay fairly well. Well, UCL gave me an offer so... :confused:

Thing is none of the essays I had this year were on current affairs. I had prepared for my LNAT in advance and read newspapers everyday (spent a lot of money, damn). 3 or 4 of my 5 essays were very science-y and religious-y and I couldn't answer them, and the essay i was left with really.. was well awful!

Well done on your UCL offer :smile:
Yes, I do agree that I am not wholly au fait with the essay part. I does seem unfair that certain people get certain essay questions and others get completely different ones. However I don't think it would be possible to change that because obviously Pearson couldn't set the same 5 essay questions for everyone, but have those taking the LNAT in September tell people taking it in December what the questions are!!

I guess the idea is that Law students are expected to have a certain amount of general knowledge about current affairs to be able to answer sufficiently one of the 5 questions. Also, I'm led to believe that it's not really the content that you put in the essay that counts, more the way in which you write it. I had a beast of a question along the lines of "it is the mother who should be solely responsible for bringing up the child," for which my arguments (against) were terrible and quite predictable, but I think I structured my essay fairly well. Well, UCL gave me an offer so... :confused:

I got one about parking on double yellow lines being punishable by death...
Well, whether that's the case or not, it would be unfair for universities to discrimate against middle class applicants because "theoretically" they should do better than working class ones. The LNAT is meant to be an equaliser in that you can't prepare for it. If you happen to have a better aptitude for whatever reason, then there's not a lot than can really be done.

I'm also from a working class background, and hold an offer from UCL, so my LNAT couldn't have been that terrible. I guess there are exceptions to every case.

I didn't say that this is the sole reason why some people do better than others in the LNAT, i'm just putting forward a possible reason why it may contribute! I do think many factors all contribute to LNAT performance and general stuff! Plus not going to an LNAT uni isn't the worst thing in the world. :smile:
Original post by Bellrosk
Why? Because you didn't apply to LSE and applied to Durham & UCL?

Nah, just because they're almost inditinguishable in terms of their UK prestige,
but if we're talking internationally, an LSE law degree may be a bonus, granted
I know that this thread is mainly about all of the english law offers, but i would just like to add that i got an unconditional for dundee law school today! :biggrin: Yay!
Original post by teaandcoffee
I didn't say that this is the sole reason why some people do better than others in the LNAT, i'm just putting forward a possible reason why it may contribute! I do think many factors all contribute to LNAT performance and general stuff! Plus not going to an LNAT uni isn't the worst thing in the world. :smile:

No, I didn't say it was. I applied to two non-LNAT unis, one of which is my insurance and the 2nd of which was a very close contender with UCL. I would have been happy to go to either.
Original post by micky022
I got one about parking on double yellow lines being punishable by death...

...That's a little, odd.

Probably a red herring. It's difficult not to give a obvious answer to that one, "er no..." and if you agreed with the statement, universities would be like :eek:!
Original post by teaandcoffee
Thing is none of the essays I had this year were on current affairs. I had prepared for my LNAT in advance and read newspapers everyday (spent a lot of money, damn). 3 or 4 of my 5 essays were very science-y and religious-y and I couldn't answer them, and the essay i was left with really.. was well awful!

Well done on your UCL offer :smile:

Thank you :smile:

Mine weren't either actually. What I meant - and expressed very badly - was that Law students are expected to have a good enough knowledge of the world to express an opinion on almost everything.
Reply 1935
No, I didn't say it was. I applied to two non-LNAT unis, one of which is my insurance and the 2nd of which was a very close contender with UCL. I would have been happy to go to either.

Warwick is the only non-LNAT uni I've applied to, so I won't be too shocked if I don't get in anywhere this year. I don't really have an insurance unless a uni feels kind enough to give me a lower offer given that I'm doing 4 A Levels, Welsh Bacc and have a B in an extra AS. :tongue:
Original post by adam0311

A girl in my school got me all hyped in an argument earlier today about this. She's going to go to NYU (a notoriously overpriced school, $60,000 a yr) so she can be in NYC. Her parents can't afford it and she's taking out loans. Nothing I hate more than someone who's going to take out 250k in loans for UG.

You raise some good points, but it's good to be able to take a step back and relax at times and I think that living in Bristol would give you a better opportunity to be able to escape the pressures of university for an afternoon/evening.

But as you've rightly pointed out, there seems like there is plenty to do in Durham.

250k? That is utterly obscene. Land of opportunity my arse.

Original post by Mann18
I have no idea what you're talking about.

:dontknow:

And that would be why you're going to Oxford :wink:.

good luk tou2

Thanks ^^
Isn't Bham an LNAT uni anyway?
Guess we'll find out on Monday!
Reply 1938
And that would be why you're going to Oxford :wink:.

:rofl:
Original post by Howellsy
Warwick is the only non-LNAT uni I've applied to, so I won't be too shocked if I don't get in anywhere this year. I don't really have an insurance unless a uni feels kind enough to give me a lower offer given that I'm doing 4 A Levels, Welsh Bacc and have a B in an extra AS. :tongue:

Hey, you don't know your LNAT score yet, anyway! It could have been wonderful.
I think anyone applying ot the top universities would be very lucky to receive a lower offer though :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending