The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It would be very tragic if Nokia went with Android. It's all well and that lots of people adopt the OS but too many is also bad, it makes them dependant on the OS. Android should really only be used by manufacturers which by themselves offer atrocious OS's ie. Samsung, Motorola etc... Nokia still have a decent OS.
I got a free drink off someone tonight because I had an android phone =D
**** YEAHHHHH!
Question :ahee:

If I make system/app R/W, can I move apps I've got from the market to there and they'll update normally (overwrite rather than a new apk)?
Original post by + polarity -
Question :ahee:

If I make system/app R/W, can I move apps I've got from the market to there and they'll update normally (overwrite rather than a new apk)?

I don't think you can tbh. Give it a go though! :biggrin:

I'm liking the HD2 - everyone seems to want it to live forever. I'd get one if I honestly had enough cash to do so on a whim.
Original post by mikeyd85

I don't think you can tbh. Give it a go though! :biggrin:

I'm liking the HD2 - everyone seems to want it to live forever. I'd get one if I honestly had enough cash to do so on a whim.

Okay, I'll see if there's anything that wants to be updated right now

Are they still really expensive?

I wonder if I could get Orange to send me one :mmm:

edit: Nothing needs updating right now; I'll wait a while. I just realised I'd have to make the whole of /system/ R/W, wouldn't I? :erm:
(edited 13 years ago)
Okay, I'll see if there's anything that wants to be updated right now

Are they still really expensive?

I wonder if I could get Orange to send me one :mmm:

edit: Nothing needs updating right now; I'll wait a while. I just realised I'd have to make the whole of /system/ R/W, wouldn't I? :erm:

£200 on fleabay. I'd be amazed if Orange still stock them tbh!

And yeah, I'd think so. You can get away with it I reckon so long as you're very careful with what you put on there.... I wouldn't risk it though!

And yeah, I'd think so. You can get away with it I reckon so long as you're very careful with what you put on there.... I wouldn't risk it though!

beast if they did

I'll try it when I'm on low space I think. It's not a necessity right now :colondollar:
beast if they did

I'll try it when I'm on low space I think. It's not a necessity right now :colondollar:

I find that 90% of the things I try do with my Hero aren't and probably never will be necessary. :biggrin:

I find that 90% of the things I try do with my Hero aren't and probably never will be necessary. :biggrin:

:ditto:

Is the browser/text lag a problem with phones other than the Hero?

That's the only thing that irritates me about this phone. :shifty:

Yeah, it's a Hero thing that one. Best thing I found is to turn off all haptic feedback and any flashy keyboard animations and live with it.

Still, not long til I can* upgrade.

*Whether I will is another thing entirely. Now that Honeycomb has been confirmed to have hardware acceleration in it's UI and will eventually come to phones, yet again I've found another reason to just hang on a little longer...

God damn it.

It's a problem on the SF too. If you are typing on a page in the browser, the texts lags a LOT. Pinch zoom is also little laggy (but not if you have one of the good custom ROMs).
I don't expect you'll get any issues with higher end Android phones though, although they all have that signature jerkiness on the browser lol Be proud google, can't even iron out this fault(!)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3533
I got bored of hanging on, ordered a Desire Z. Cannot wait to play with it, might try sense out for a bit then whack CM7 on. Just waiting for it to be delivered :frown:
Reply 3534
I don't know really. What phone do you have? Does it use Symbian S60 or Symbian^3?

I'm not entirely sure why they're bothering with Symbian^3 lol, but I guess it's good to have some variety :dontknow:

nokia 5800. It says S60 5th edition

Original post by Kaph
I got bored of hanging on, ordered a Desire Z. Cannot wait to play with it, might try sense out for a bit then whack CM7 on. Just waiting for it to be delivered :frown:

What does that look like?
Original post by cz100
nokia 5800. It says S60 5th edition

Skeen, my sister has that.

I keep telling her to update her software, but she doesn't see the point in it :facepalm2:

Original post by silent ninja
It's a problem on the SF too. If you are typing on a page in the browser, the texts lags a LOT. Pinch zoom is also little laggy (but not if you have one of the good custom ROMs).
I don't expect you'll get any issues with higher end Android phones though, although they all have that signature jerkiness on the browser lol Be proud google, can't even iron out this fault(!)

I'd say the ROM I have is good :smug: and I think pinch zoom is fine, but I usually tap to zoom :colondollar:

It's a shame about the lag. It seems even more pronounced when I use Swype rather than the standard FroYo keyboard. :sigh:

Kinda thinking I should have kept mine now. My DHD is not much better and is in worse condition. Plus I wouldnt be tied into a contract and could get the iPhone 5 if its good. Ah well hindsight and all that...
Reply 3538
Find it impossible to copy text direct off web pages, was easy to do on a bb -.-
Reply 3539
Original post by G8D
It's fairly easy to reposition the handles...

Lol ignore they previous post. :colondollar:

Latest

Trending

Trending