The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hygeia
Get used to it :wink: :p:

I always feel rather anxious before public speaking, but I seem to take to it rather nicely once I get going, I tend to make jokes when I'm nervous haha!
Original post by i'm no superman
Edit: Just received an e-mail notification from King's about my application. I'll hear a decision by March 4th at the latest. :headfire:

:eek: I haven't even sent mine yet! I'm still minus a reference and a class ranking!
so, wooo, everyone in halls is going out this week to celebrate end of exams... shame mine finish in two weeks! suppose i should start to get used to this being a medic and all!!

Its also difficult when upper years are saying, 'oh its only first year, you dont really need to work for the exams', when others are telling me 'yes you need to learn it reeally well, lots of people fail them!' confusion.

rant over! :smile:
Reply 603
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
I hate public speaking so much :sad:
You have a year or so to learn to love it.
Reply 604
Original post by blonde-beth
so, wooo, everyone in halls is going out this week to celebrate end of exams... shame mine finish in two weeks! suppose i should start to get used to this being a medic and all!!

Its also difficult when upper years are saying, 'oh its only first year, you dont really need to work for the exams', when others are telling me 'yes you need to learn it reeally well, lots of people fail them!' confusion.

rant over! :smile:

You do need to do some work but you don't need to go into a massive panic and live in the library 15 hours a day. Only a very small proportion of people fail and its usually because they've done very little work.
First proper session in the DR, with objectives and questions (please tell me we aren't the only people who dissect under pressure?) tomorrow. I may have gone overboard and spent 3 hours today making notes on the thorax. :facepalm2:
She'd had PMH of gastric ulcers, and we all know aspirins effect on the GI tract, hence the need for PPIs :wink:

Don't believe the drug reps - Clopidogrel is almost as bad as aspirin. The fact that it produces marginally less GI side effects is necessarily reason to celebrate. I've got a couple of patients on my ward with H Pylori -ve ulcers after taking clopidogrel.
Original post by Woody.
Also something to note perhaps, I didn't really sign up to be a manager, I signed up to primarily be a clinician. I imagine most other applicants did too. Some knowledge outside of medicine is clearly needed, but doing specificity and sensitivity calculations, some parts of epidemiology and sociology I find quite dry and, to my current knowledge, not overly necessary.

Unfortunately, being a clinician invariably involves being a manager as well whether that be management of your medical team, management of other healthcare professionals involved with your patients, or even if you rise in the medical hierarchy until you're a medical director or similar.
Original post by Captain Crash
Unfortunately, being a clinician invariably involves being a manager as well whether that be management of your medical team, management of other healthcare professionals involved with your patients, or even if you rise in the medical hierarchy until you're a medical director or similar.

So you think I should join the medical management society? >_<
Reply 609
Original post by Philosoraptor

So you think I should join the medical management society? &gt;_&lt;

Don't get CC started on...societies.
Original post by visesh
Don't get CC started on...societies.

Why, is he a Freemason?
Why, is he a Freemason?

:ninja:

But seriously, no, I have a problem with medical school societies that exist only to pad peoples CVs. We have currently have a whole swath of them here at Cambridge e.g. the Obs/Gyn soc, Neuro Soc, ID and epidemiology Soc, Cambridge Research Soc.....

But seriously, no, I have a problem with medical school societies that exist only to pad peoples CVs. We have currently have a whole swath of them here at Cambridge e.g. the Obs/Gyn soc, Neuro Soc, ID and epidemiology Soc, Cambridge Research Soc.....

This makes me feel better about not joining any of the UEA ones :yep: Although I do worry that I really should...... :s:

Yeah I know what you mean... quote a few popped up just recently.

That said - when I was in pre-clin, Surgical Society really did help me learn stuff I probably wouldn't have otherwise - I didn't do it for CV, rather actual interest. And they are quite well established now, but yes some seem rather :/ and like people only started them so they could write it on their CV...
Our surgical soc seems really good- they put on a teaching session for 1st years every Tuesday evening to prep us for dissection and anatomy assessment on Thurs/Fri.

Still haven't gotten around to paying for my membership though. :ahee:
Original post by Fission_Mailed

Original post by Fission_Mailed
Our surgical soc seems really good- they put on a teaching session for 1st years every Tuesday evening to prep us for dissection and anatomy assessment on Thurs/Fri.

Still haven't gotten around to paying for my membership though. :ahee:

Tbf our membership is only a couple of quid, I can just never be bothered to go to any of the events they put on :colondollar:
Tbf our membership is only a couple of quid, I can just never be bothered to go to any of the events they put on :colondollar:

Ours is £15 for the 5 years. I will probably have to join at some stage.
Reply 617
This makes me feel better about not joining any of the UEA ones :yep: Although I do worry that I really should...... :s:

I try to avoid doing any thing more to do with medicine/medics, I see them enough as it is and tend to go for socs like jiu jitsu where I get to throw people about :yes:
Original post by Lantana
I try to avoid doing any thing more to do with medicine/medics, I see them enough as it is and tend to go for socs like jiu jitsu where I get to throw people about :yes:

Good choice :yes:

*like*
Original post by Mushi_master
Good choice on the King's front :P

If I decide to intercalate (unlikely), neuroscience will be the one.
I realised that half the modules I picked for Physiology were actually Neuroscience based so it made sense to apply for it instead. The systems neuroscience and mechanisms of development modules very much appeal to me the most. I opted for a library based research project (option C) in the end, rather than an actual lab research project. If I get it, that's great. If not, I really don't think I'll give it a second thought. I'd happily stay at George's and intercalate or even carry straight onto T-Year. :smile:

Original post by Becca-Sarah
:eek: I haven't even sent mine yet! I'm still minus a reference and a class ranking!
There's still a good week to get it in. Have you picked your modules?

Latest

Trending

Trending