The Student Room Group

Ocr f215: 27/1/11

Scroll to see replies

Yup true oh well, as long as I gte at least a High C ill be happy because then my AS retake wont be tooo difficult
That was a tough exam...nice last question on behaviour but god I hate plants with a passion.
Original post by SwordStream
I think it was easier, not much mind. I was better prepared this time though.

My last contribution to this thread before i start seeing different answers from mine lol, ehm i guess it was easier, but then again there will be a number of people that didnt go uni and are resitting it and im sure they would drag the grade boundaries down...more, even though the number of people retakin is probably not that high:smile:
(this excludes tsr ppl)
Reply 263
I found the paper to be easy BUT to LENGTHY.. though the last 3 questions were a blessing.. by the way what did you put for the curve for the artificial selection and what happens to the curve if it's continous ? I am a bit skeptical on these rest are ok :P(hopefully)
Reply 264
Original post by mathsclown
oh i put the use of a respiratory substrate reduces the concentration of cAMP so doesnt and acts as a tran something control thing lol and i wrote something else

Ehm for some reason I wrote grasshoppers 0.o im craazy haha those questions really put me off, so im looking at around 65/100 to 72/100

I wrote that the bacteria releases lactase as a metabolite.
OO a quick google search says that too : http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-lactase.htm
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 265
God I loved the last bit too So straight forward.Rag worms for habituation/skinners box for operant and culture learning for gorillas :P
Reply 266
Yup same, last question on behaviour was cool, muscle questions were good, brain question was alright, pcr vs gene cloning was annoyng :/ 5 marks to say what enzyme etc was greeat! sigmoid curve was ok ehmmm thats it i guess

i definetly lost marks on the energy questions put me off, but ehm for the farm question it did ask for reasons so i think they were all valid as long as u had a valid explanation

I put down three phenotypic traits as: Growth/High milk yield and ermm... resistance to disease and good quality meat.Though a better resistance to disease would have been ok too...
No genetics LOL I loved it...
Reply 267
Original post by clad in armour
the fungus uses lactose as a respiratory and uses ammonia as a source of nitrogen to synthesise amino acids and general protein synthesis

pcr/vivo was *******s, couldnt think of enough things to say apart from obvious crap like, increased DNA amplification with PCR in the same given time as vivo, reduced costs with pcr since its automated, less labour intensive, requires skilled staff :/

dont know how it went, it felt like a blag

I put EXACTLY SAME AS YOU.. s hopefully I will get mark.I was bit worried about that too.. :P but yea.. i remembered that since nitrogen is used in the making of quorn same should apply here.
For the comparison I tbh couldn't make much sense of it but I wrote down about pcr first saying how it increases genetic material DNA,and about the enzyme working at high temp. so much stable and so on.. for the vivo thing I put obvious stuff.
Ye I put ammonia being used for source of nitrogen, but for lactose I mucked up and said it was a source of nutrients :/
The comparison all I said was about the speed, enzymes used, both produce high amounts of product bla ehm the cost differences and that pcr can be used for other things as well like genetic profiling

Yea for the lac operon bit I must of read it wrong, I now remember reading carbohydrate respiratory thing but and forgot the question was about lactose so i started to talk about cAMP -.-

The variation graph I had no idea, was it continuous? continuous show normal distribution shapes right?
Reply 269
Ye I put ammonia being used for source of nitrogen, but for lactose I mucked up and said it was a source of nutrients :/
The comparison all I said was about the speed, enzymes used, both produce high amounts of product bla ehm the cost differences and that pcr can be used for other things as well like genetic profiling

Yea for the lac operon bit I must of read it wrong, I now remember reading carbohydrate respiratory thing but and forgot the question was about lactose so i started to talk about cAMP -.-

The variation graph I had no idea, was it continuous? continuous show normal distribution shapes right?

I said all of them increase like exponentially.. ammonia/lactose/biomass..
It carried two marks.What do you think? I mean this is a continuous culture.Yea the operon question took me sometime to actually interpret what they wanted to know.It was a few minutes later when I realized that they are talking of "genes"... so yea all you had to state was what/how happens before the bacteria is introduced into the medium,repressor proteins and so on.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by ibysaiyan
I said all of them increase like exponentially.. ammonia/lactose/biomass..
It carried two marks.What do you think? I mean this is a continuous culture.Yea the operon question took me sometime to actually interpret what they wanted to know.It was a few minutes later when I realized that they are talking of "genes"... so yea all you had to state was what/how happens before the bacteria is introduced into the medium,repressor proteins and so on.

I remembered a teacher teaching it once but was kind of vague, so I drew half a normal distribution to the tip of the line

something like this / , was a wild guess though, ehm other than that the rest of the paper was fine, my aim is a high C soo should get that but I think may of got a B if all goes too plan and the rest of the country found it hard xd Horrible thought but oh well lol

EDIT I wrote what you wrote lol for continuous culture!!! lol my answer above is for the first page
(edited 13 years ago)
My last contribution to this thread before i start seeing different answers from mine lol, ehm i guess it was easier, but then again there will be a number of people that didnt go uni and are resitting it and im sure they would drag the grade boundaries down...more, even though the number of people retakin is probably not that high:smile:
(this excludes tsr ppl)

Grade boundaries were pretty low last year- 65% for an A and 59% for B so hopefully they will be similar this time.
Reply 272
Original post by kbountra
Grade boundaries were pretty low last year- 65% for an A and 59% for B so hopefully they will be similar this time.

LOL this time there was not a sign of genetics :P
How did yours go ?
Reply 273
I remembered a teacher teaching it once but was kind of vague, so I drew half a normal distribution to the tip of the line

something like this / , was a wild guess though, ehm other than that the rest of the paper was fine, my aim is a high C soo should get that but I think may of got a B if all goes too plan and the rest of the country found it hard xd Horrible thought but oh well lol

EDIT I wrote what you wrote lol for continuous culture!!! lol my answer above is for the first page

I see.. :P what about the curve on the selection of cows? I made a curve in between the "selected" cows...
:facepalm::facepalm:
LOL this time there was not a sign of genetics :P
How did yours go ?

Pffff. I thought it was ok. For minimum effort, the only question I didnt recall anything on was the conditioning questions.

I dont get the phenotypic traits :s-smilie: I put a large udde, strong legs muscles and a large mouth to eat grass! :facepalm:
Reply 275
Original post by Chunkeymonkey62

Pffff. I thought it was ok. For minimum effort, the only question I didnt recall anything on was the conditioning questions.

I dont get the phenotypic traits :s-smilie: I put a large udde, strong legs muscles and a large mouth to eat grass! :facepalm:

ah conditioning you had to describe them by giving an example.Ah well I am sure you'll be fine.. if these are the only mistakes.
Original post by Chunkeymonkey62

Im sure thats right, arent phenotypic traits ones that you can physically see?
Reply 277
Im sure thats right, arent phenotypic traits ones that you can physically see?

But not all phenotypes are looked after in a. selection
Large udder is plausible, resistance to disease,quick growth.It all depends on the MS.
I felt that this paper was a lot harder than last years. Also, what did you guys + put that penincin would grow exponentially but the other graphs for lactose would be horizontal
I see.. :P what about the curve on the selection of cows? I made a curve in between the "selected" cows...

Sorry to kind of interrupt...but what "selected cows" curve are you referring to...did I miss something?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending