The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by her.
Predictions: A*History, A*engligh lit, A* spanish, A econ. predictions,
AS grades: A History, A English lit, A Spanish, A in econ, B in French.

LSE REJECTION FOR LAW.
so unbelievably gutted.
I have no idea what more they wanted, I had tons of work experience with UK renowned barristers, work experience abroad even, Queen Mary's said my personal statement was exceptional, my GCSEs were 6 A*s and 5 As.

And LSE, my top choice, rejected me.
This has to be based on luck :frown:

Sorry to hear that.

I'm tempted to say it was your GCSEs. LSE really are looking for at least 8A*s for a subject as competitive as law. Did you get feedback?

Unfortunately, although work experience helps, doing it abroad or with renowned barristers wont make a huge amount of difference - not everyone has that opportunity, so they can't consider it.
Original post by anoushka1
Whilst I understand that the LNAT could be a quite good indicator of your potential to be a law student, I just find it strange that whilst UCL rejected me based on my LNAT score , I got a straight(meaning not pooled) offer from Cambridge to study Law and I had to sit the Cambridge Law Test and have 2 interviews...the professors themselves must have seen that I had the potential to be a law student so perhaps, Im not saying in all cases, the LNAT is not the best indicator

Just putting my own experience out there

Or, if we're going to ruffle a few feathers, maybe the Cambridge Law test isn't the best indicator, and the LNAT is? :biggrin:

No, I'm sure you deserved your place at Cambridge. Universities use the admissions tests in different ways according to their own statistics and opinions. And of course, the admissions test isn't everything: UCL, unlike Cambridge, don't tend to interview for law, so they only have the LNAT to go on as an indicator of "legal" ability. Because Cambridge have an interview to double check, they can forgive a mess up of the CLT a little more. Perhaps if UCL had interviewed you, they'd have offered you a place.

Still, don't complain! You have a place at Cambridge!
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Obviously a test such as the LNAT isn't going to be as effective as 2 interviews and a written essay. Most uni's don't have the resources for that, though, so the LNAT is the best alternative.

Not quite as effective, perhaps. But it tests the same skills - the MCQs test your ability to reason and think critically (as do interviews), and the essay question is obviously.... an essay. :eek:
Reply 2003
Original post by GetCrunkedUp
A lot of the reasons for being rejected by either UCL or Kings and acceptance into Cambridge is largely based on the Unis you apply to. UCL don't like it if you apply to Kings, and usually reject people just for that i know it's stupid and you can say i'm wrong but i highly think it's true. And it's pretty much the same with oxbridge.

I have offers from both UCL and Kings...

Interesting theory but I am not sure there is much substance to it.
Original post by LornaSandison1
I figured! How did you find it though? Just seems a bit weird to me. :s-smilie:

I thought it was great, since I knew about Draco of Athens and Vlad III Tepes, so I was sorted for it. I turned it into a larger question about the justice system.
Original post by mc13177

Original post by mc13177

hi i am waiting for UCL as well, can i ask what your when you sent your application and did you LNAT simply so i can get an idea as to when i can expect a offer or rejection from them.
Not quite as effective, perhaps. But it tests the same skills - the MCQs test your ability to reason and think critically (as do interviews), and the essay question is obviously.... an essay. :eek:

But the interview sees how your thought process works and tests your legal reasoning skills whilst the LNAT most definitely does not?
Reply 2007
Original post by lfcwatcher
hi i am waiting for UCL as well, can i ask what your when you sent your application and did you LNAT simply so i can get an idea as to when i can expect a offer or rejection from them.

No problem!

Application sent: 7 October.

LNAT taken: 23 October.

Offer received: 29 November.

Best of luck with your application.
Original post by mc13177

haha yeah i was corrected earlier! Sorry for any confusion, that's what i had been told.

Oh well done on your offers! I'm still waiting for UCL and Kings too
where else did you apply??

xx
haha yeah i was corrected earlier! Sorry for any confusion, that's what i had been told.

xx

I applied to UCL early October, received an acknowledgment from them October 21st and took my LNAT around October time too. And so far I've heard nothing else... It's driving me slightly crazy, especially as it's the only uni I'm waiting to hear from!
Reply 2010

xx

Oxford, Birmingham and Exeter- SC.

Best of luck.
Original post by mc13177
No problem!

Application sent: 7 October.

LNAT taken: 23 October.

Offer received: 29 November.

Best of luck with your application.

:eek: You must have done amazing in your LNAT and/or have a string of great grades. I had assumed UCL wouldn't give out Law offers until January.
Original post by andrea1992
I applied to UCL early October, received an acknowledgment from them October 21st and took my LNAT around October time too. And so far I've heard nothing else... It's driving me slightly crazy, especially as it's the only uni I'm waiting to hear from!

Oh wow, you sent you application off really early. I wouldn't worry, a lot of their rejections were handed out last week. Arghhh monday is LNAT results day!

Where else did you apply/get offers from?

xx
Oh wow, you sent you application off really early. I wouldn't worry, a lot of their rejections were handed out last week. Arghhh monday is LNAT results day!

Where else did you apply/get offers from?

xx

I've got offers from Queen Mary's, Kent and Essex for Law with French/European Exchange. I got to the interview stage at Oxford but was rejected after that! I wasn't putting too much on that, luckily! you? x
Reply 2014
Original post by smallfish
:eek: You must have done amazing in your LNAT and/or have a string of great grades. I had assumed UCL wouldn't give out Law offers until January.

I'll find out on Monday...!

Thanks for your post btw.
Reply 2015

Hang on in there!

Best of luck.
I've got offers from Queen Mary's, Kent and Essex for Law with French/European Exchange. I got to the interview stage at Oxford but was rejected after that! I wasn't putting too much on that, luckily! you? x

Oh congrats! I've applied for SOAS which i got an offer for yesterday, still waiting for Queen Mary's, Kings, UCL and SOAS for middle eastern studies and law. I sent my application off quite late, like first week of December, so really surprised to have heard from SOAS since they usually take forever.

Fingers crossed for the others though xx
The Cambridge Law Test does not account for a large section of the admissions process at Cambridge. As none of the cohorts which have taken the CLT have graduated yet, the Faculty has not had the chance to correlate the scores in the CLT and the final degree classification. Therefore, whilst it gives them an indication of a student's aptitude for Law, it is by no means make or break.

This is what I got told when I asked about the significance of the CLT at my interview.
Sorry to hear that.

I'm tempted to say it was your GCSEs. LSE really are looking for at least 8A*s for a subject as competitive as law. Did you get feedback?

Unfortunately, although work experience helps, doing it abroad or with renowned barristers wont make a huge amount of difference - not everyone has that opportunity, so they can't consider it.

They may not be able to do it with renowned barristers but they can do it abroad! It's called getting a job and saving to do it! The UK only has relative poverty and due to benefits I'm sure there is no one who has to get a job to aid their parents at 16/17.
Original post by micky022
I thought it was great, since I knew about Draco of Athens and Vlad III Tepes, so I was sorted for it. I turned it into a larger question about the justice system.

Ah, that sounds good. My main worry was that some candidates might take the question very much on face value. :P

Latest

Trending

Trending