The Student Room Group

OCR Salters F334 Chemistry of Materials (26/01/2011)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
On the last question where we had to put the mass of the compound used (like a 4 mark calculation question) i vaguely remember putting 1.7g or something, and i doubted myself when asking around today. what did everyone else get?
Reply 381
I also put 1.7g or something. My method involved multiplying the mols by 2/3 because that was the ratio i think. My other friend multiplied it by 3/2 which i think was wrong...

Can anyone confirm?
Reply 382
Original post by jam277
Yeah. I wrote PH, then concentration of H+ ions, then I wrote measured with PH Meter. I've seen this question a lot and they accept that.

thank god some other people are saying this, my friend said something about using a gas syringe and measure the volume of oxygen :O wtf
Reply 383
Original post by Jacobic
thank god some other people are saying this, my friend said something about using a gas syringe and measure the volume of oxygen :O wtf

What would work too if there was gaseous oxygen given off. I can't remember the exact equation though.
Reply 384
I have the exam infront of me.. got a spare copy.. teacher gave me today as we had a chem lessson.. just was going through it with class to produce an unoffical mark scheme..

But everyone did stress that it was a horrible paper, very synoptic heavy and very physics based.. which is bad for many who do biology.... Also we wasnt tested on the core course content.. so basically the exam was bullshi*.. defo a re-sit in the summer..

anyone want any questions.. got the exam here??
Original post by ManPowa
I have the exam infront of me.. got a spare copy.. teacher gave me today as we had a chem lessson.. just was going through it with class to produce an unoffical mark scheme..

But everyone did stress that it was a horrible paper, very synoptic heavy and very physics based.. which is bad for many who do biology.... Also we wasnt tested on the core course content.. so basically the exam was bullshi*.. defo a re-sit in the summer..

Could you uploaded the unofficial markscheme or at least the paper?
Reply 386
Original post by AliceMedawar
Your teachers can view the paper 24 hours after the exam, the actual mark scheme won't be up for ages (nov. I think) on a secure website, so it can be used as a mock. Such a hard paper! x

Reply 387
yeah please :biggrin: a part of the last question.. Its on about finding the unkown mass of some compound, i think it was like 4 marks? or even if you could find a way to upload the paper for everyone to see that would be very beneficial, thanks.
Original post by ManPowa

Could you scan and upload the paper?

If we all work together to make a unofficial mark scheme at least we'll all know how deep in the water each of us stand.

Hopefully UMS will go down so maybe there will be no need for a retake for you.
Reply 389
Original post by Sneg
yeah please :biggrin: a part of the last question.. Its on about finding the unkown mass of some compound, i think it was like 4 marks? or even if you could find a way to upload the paper for everyone to see that would be very beneficial, thanks.

2K2FeO4 + 3NO2- + 2H20 === Fe203 = 3NO3- = 4KOH

The concentration of N02- in a sample of impure water is 6.0 x 10-6 mol dm-3.
What is the minimum mass of solid potassium ferrate needed to oxidise all of the N02- ions in 1000dm3 of the pure water? :confused::confused: (4 marks)
Original post by ManPowa
2K2FeO4 + 3NO2- + 2H20 === Fe203 = 3NO3- = 4KOH

The concentration of N02- in a sample of impure water is 6.0 x 10-6 mol dm-3.
What is the minimum mass of solid potassium ferrate needed to oxidise all of the N02- ions in 1000dm3 of the pure water? :confused::confused: (4 marks)

the concentration of K2Fe04 would be 4.0*10^-6 mol dm-3 via ratio.
I then did number of moles of K2FeO4=Concentration times volume i.e.
4.0*10^-6*1000
that is the number of moles needed. so then i found the molar mass of K2FeO4 and times the molar mass by the number of moles to get the mass.
Original post by jam277
the concentration of K2Fe04 would be 4.0*10^-6 mol dm-3 via ratio.
I then did number of moles of K2FeO4=Concentration times volume i.e.
4.0*10^-6*1000
that is the number of moles needed. so then i found the molar mass of K2FeO4 and times the molar mass by the number of moles to get the mass.

I'm pretty sure I did the same thing....
Original post by hidden_desire
I'm pretty sure I did the same thing....

Phew. I only got better at moles equations like in the holidays even though I did chemistry for a year. I'm sure that's right. At least I might have a hope of getting an A* so I don't have to resit to get 90%. How did you find the test?
Original post by jam277
Phew. I only got better at moles equations like in the holidays even though I did chemistry for a year. I'm sure that's right. At least I might have a hope of getting an A* so I don't have to resit to get 90%. How did you find the test?

Lmao, I hope you do get that A*! I'll be over the moon to get an A :rolleyes:

Erm to be brutally honest, I didn't think it was really that hard - as in there weren't any questions that completely threw me. My main downfall is the problem I've been trying to battle for a while now, which is my terrible exam techniques, impulsivity and NOT READING THE QUESTION PROPERLY. And making avoidable mistakes. And not adding things in that I know I should have done :bawling:

Aaah well. Fingers crossed :smile: x
Original post by hidden_desire
Lmao, I hope you do get that A*! I'll be over the moon to get an A :rolleyes:

Erm to be brutally honest, I didn't think it was really that hard - as in there weren't any questions that completely threw me. My main downfall is the problem I've been trying to battle for a while now, which is my terrible exam techniques, impulsivity and NOT READING THE QUESTION PROPERLY. And making avoidable mistakes. And not adding things in that I know I should have done :bawling:

Aaah well. Fingers crossed :smile: x

Yeah I know, the test was easy but i made so many stupid mistakes, I'm scared that I might have to resit since my teachers will probably not want me to resit and say i can do good in the next module but i'm not risking that.
Reply 395
ive like totally forgetten the exam questions ! LOL
Original post by sanaaa
ive like totally forgetten the exam questions ! LOL

Lol. I need to get the paper somehow. So I can find out my potential marks. I'm angry I made so many stupid mistakes. I could have so easily completely Aced this paper, the thing is my teachers probably won't let me resit if I get 80% even though I want an A*
Reply 397
Original post by jam277
Lol. I need to get the paper somehow. So I can find out my potential marks. I'm angry I made so many stupid mistakes. I could have so easily completely Aced this paper, the thing is my teachers probably won't let me resit if I get 80% even though I want an A*

Won't let you resit? I can't believe they have that much control over those kind of choices.
Original post by Cinamon
Won't let you resit? I can't believe they have that much control over those kind of choices.

I got a high B in my january exam, they didn't allow me to resit it in june because they said the next module was harder. I got an A in the next module and the coursework with the same amount of effort put into the first module but I got a B overall, then I asked to resit my B and they said I should do it in the summer. I was 1 UMS away from an A in AS, I'm so angry with them.
Come on please scan and post the paper someone, we can all make a unofficial mark scheme then and at least have an idea how each of us did!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending