The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by monkajanik
Well done!!!!!!! What are your A-Levels if I may ask? I'm still waiting for King's and Queen Mary, I guess waiting is better than a rejection lol.

Hey. I'm a mature student and did my A Levels in 2007 (ie, before they introduced the A* mark): Maths A, English Literature A (100%, so maybe they counted that as an A*, I'm not sure) and Spanish A. I also did German and Music Technology AS levels.

It was quite a while ago though, so I'm not sure if they put so much weight on my A level results. Since then I've been 2 years in the UK volunteering and working (crappy jobs), and 1.5 years in Taiwan teaching, working and studying Mandarin.

I know the waiting is horrible, but I was just so glad to get even my first offer, I was starting to think it would be all "no"s. I haven't heard from anywhere else yet.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Potiron
I am very happy for you both :smile:

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by Doughnuts!!
:beard:

Fine, I'll agree that drawing fine distinctions is a good skill to have for a Law degree BUT the degree to which you need to do it in the LNAT is too much. Some questions are absolutely ridiculous in that you get 5 answers which can all be perfectly correct. Sure, when you're trying to work out the ratio decidendi in a long judgement, you'll need to employ those skills, but it will not be anwhere near as difficult as it is in many LNAT Q's.

The LNAT wouldn't be fair if more than one of the answers were correct (unless specified). There are always very small differences between answers.
Original post by LornaSandison1
The LNAT wouldn't be fair if more than one of the answers were correct (unless specified). There are always very small differences between answers.

And that's the problem. Some questions come up that have answers that could all be correct with only the tiniest distinction between the correct answer and the 4 wrong ones.

I agree with the person that said it should be more like the TSA.
Reply 2044
Original post by Nicola21
Just received an offer from London School of Economics! So shocked!!

I now have 3 offers :biggrin:

Well done!

Where have you heard from?

Where else did you apply? xx
And that's the problem. Some questions come up that have answers that could all be correct with only the tiniest distinction between the correct answer and the 4 wrong ones.

Yes, and that is exactly what differentiates between those who can think critically and draw fine distinctions, and those who can't. That's my point.

Having never looked at the TSA, I wouldn't know.

One of my LNAT articles last year was something about how this guy describes thinking or something.

Basically it was; Does the writer think thinking comes from the mind or the brain?

ARGH
Reply 2047
Original post by teaandcoffee
One of my LNAT articles last year was something about how this guy describes thinking or something.

Basically it was; Does the writer think thinking comes from the mind or the brain?

ARGH

That is an awful question!

Duality on an LNAT exam, not very nice.
Original post by Mann18
That is an awful question!

Duality on an LNAT exam, not very nice.

I didn't even understand the passage anyway. I wanted to cry for both of my LNATs haha. But yes, this is what I mean? Brain or mind? BRAIN OR MIND. ARGH. Tbh it was probably a different answer haha
Reply 2049
I didn't even understand the passage anyway. I wanted to cry for both of my LNATs haha. But yes, this is what I mean? Brain or mind? BRAIN OR MIND. ARGH. Tbh it was probably a different answer haha

:rofl:

Ah, most of the questions on that exam are frickin' weird anyway, so if you had to answer that one, I assume the others were crazy!
Original post by Mann18
:rofl:

Ah, most of the questions on that exam are frickin' weird anyway, so if you had to answer that one, I assume the others were crazy!

They really are. The timings for both of my LNATs went badly too, I think I could have done better if I had a little bit more time to think over the questions but I rushed both of mine! I also find it difficult reading lots of text on a screen? Not sure if anyone else finds this? I kept getting dizzy! Oh well :smile: Making up excuses for my rubbish LNAT performance makes me feel better :wink:
Reply 2051
Have any DOMESTIC students got an offer for M100 at Nottingham? Has anyone been rejected from there either?

I seem to be waiting forever to hear from Nottingham. I'm aware of the gathered field, but surely they must have made some decisions by now.
Reply 2052
Original post by nameeti
Have any DOMESTIC students got an offer for M100 at Nottingham? Has anyone been rejected from there either?

I seem to be waiting forever to hear from Nottingham. I'm aware of the gathered field, but surely they must have made some decisions by now.

Haven't heard of any domestic rejections or offers on here...and I'm a fairly efficient stalker. I'm waiting too! I reckon early to mid Feb.

ARGH

Ouch. My best lnat article was about a street party in notting hill, and I genuinely got a question about porta-loo placement.
The rest was horrific, but ho hum. :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2054
SOAS
Offer: Conditional AAA
Recived: 24th Jan
UCAS sent: 22nd Nov

I really want Nottingham to get back to me now, 3 days till LNAT results. :s-smilie: I'm not sure I want to know!!
Original post by ystam1
SOAS
Offer: Conditional AAA
Recived: 24th Jan
UCAS sent: 22nd Nov

I really want Nottingham to get back to me now, 3 days till LNAT results. :s-smilie: I'm not sure I want to know!!

Hey I received an offer from SOAS too!
Though Nottingham and Warwick will be my first choice
:beard: Hmm.. Warwick just acknowledged my application again! After already doing so in November. Has this happened to anyone?
Original post by LornaSandison1
I don't think that's wholly relevant, to be honest. Whilst universities might see work experience abroad as 'impressive', it's unlikely to affect the outcome of your application, at least for the top universities.

I completely disagree! It shows you are totally committed to studying the subject, one of the main aspects they are looking for. You've made the effort to save up the money (which anyone can do), you've made an even bigger to go abroad to see a different legal system and it's law based work experience no matter what.
Reply 2058
Original post by smallfish
:beard: Hmm.. Warwick just acknowledged my application again! After already doing so in November. Has this happened to anyone?

I ended up with acknowledgements in October and November. I think people have probably gone to them worried about not being acknowledged, so they've sent out acknowledgements again to anyone who applied after October.
Original post by jimmyatemyworld
I completely disagree! It shows you are totally committed to studying the subject, one of the main aspects they are looking for. You've made the effort to save up the money (which anyone can do), you've made an even bigger to go abroad to see a different legal system and it's law based work experience no matter what.

You can show you're commited to the subject in many ways. Doing a whole lot of work experience at local firms is sufficient. Saving up for something like that is all well and good if your parents are going to fund everything else you need whilst saving for it.

Latest

Trending

Trending