The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xangelinax
I do 10 hour day shift is that not normal? I usually do 12-10's or 10-8's

Im not 100% sure but I thought that 9 hour shifts where the longest you could do during the day?
Reply 7561
Original post by AgentSushi
Im not 100% sure but I thought that 9 hour shifts where the longest you could do during the day?

Nah, you can work as long as you like really.
Reply 7562
Original post by FXX
Nah, you can work as long as you like really.

The week of christmas our store was open 24/5. People did mad 14 hour shifts
Does anyone know about changing hours and how to go about it?
Who would I need to talk to and is it easy to do?
Reply 7564
Original post by Saliency
Does anyone know about changing hours and how to go about it?
Who would I need to talk to and is it easy to do?

talk to your manager, you'll probably be asked to fill in an availability matrix.
Is anyone here on a dual store contract? Just wondering how it works - i've been offered one for when I go to uni :smile:
If I want a transfer for summer - not a dual contract just a store transfer - how do I go about it? Also, how much notice should I give regarding it?
Original post by affinity89
If I want a transfer for summer - not a dual contract just a store transfer - how do I go about it? Also, how much notice should I give regarding it?

My manager said as soon as I know what I want to do/where i'm going, to let her know and she'll start the process :smile: speak to your manager and i'm sure they'll be able to advise you
Pay Day!!
My shift yesterday was actually pretty interesting, if random. I ended up working in the pharmacy. :smile:

I'm annoyed about my wage query though. My manager gave me a letter about it - sealed - and said not to open it on the shop floor. I opened it when I had the chance, just after finishing my shift, to find all it says it that I should 'liaise' with my manager because he is the one who said I was off work when I wasn't. So, that means it is yet another month where I haven't been paid for the hours I worked in November. I am going to write a letter detailing what I did etc for my manager. Trying to talk to him is impossible - he is too elusive. :frown:
Reply 7570
Original post by broadwayrachael
Is anyone here on a dual store contract? Just wondering how it works - i've been offered one for when I go to uni :smile:

I'm not on a dual contract, but there are some people in my store who have it. You work at your current store during half-terms etc, and then during term-time, you work in a store near your uni.
sounds like people are getting sacked left right and centre in my store!
Original post by inksplodge
sounds like people are getting sacked left right and centre in my store!

How do you mean? fired on the spot kind of thing?
Original post by shooting.star
How do you mean? fired on the spot kind of thing?

nah, after investigations.
Original post by inksplodge
nah, after investigations.

oh okay.. scary stuff.
Reply 7575
Original post by shooting.star
oh okay.. scary stuff.

Not really, only have to worry about it if you're doing something you shouldn't.
Original post by FXX
Not really, only have to worry about it if you're doing something you shouldn't.

haha, yeah you are right! I just get worried for no reason at times.
Original post by Clare7
Anyone got any tips on how to make time go quicker (not literally of course) when you're on checkouts?

I do 4 hour shifts, so no break. It really drags 90% of the time.

I find covering the time on the till with a bit of paper helps a bit, otherwise im looking at it all the time

Ha I do exactly the same.....find checkouts soooooooo boring and haven't found a way to make time go any quicker yet it just seems to go slower every week :frown:
Original post by Foulish
I'm not on a dual contract, but there are some people in my store who have it. You work at your current store during half-terms etc, and then during term-time, you work in a store near your uni.

Aah ok :smile: are the uni stores pretty good with flexible hours for lectures and exams and stuff? If you could ask one of the people in your store i'd love you forever :tongue:
Reply 7579
I'm going to have a rant about IPM now...

I think the target in my store is 21 IPM but when I'm trying to scan fast I always feel bad for the customer, as they're stood there frantically packing with a million things being chucked at them.

Recently I've thought screw it, and I've been going at a pace which suits the customer, you get the odd few which are fast at packing and you can really go as fast as you can with them, but the majority of customers which come in at the times I'm working seem to be pensioners.

I get a lot of people saying to me before I start to go slowly, just recently I've had sooooo many people telling me how nice it is that I'm not rushing them.

It doesn't make sense to me why we have to go so fast, it just gets the customer more stressed out and isn't very good customer service in my opinion. The person with the highest IPM in my store was on a till near me the other day, I was watching him and couldn't believe how fast he was going, Id never seen anyone scan that fast in my life! The customers didnt look very pleased that practically an entire trolley full of shopping was thrown down the checkout at them.

Anyway sorry for ranting, I got a bit carried away lol

Any opinions on IPM?

Latest

Trending

Trending