The Student Room Group

Latymer Upper Sixth Form Interview TIPS?

Hi, I have got an offer for interview at Latymer Upper with the head of departments for my A - Level choices. However, I would like to know what kind of questions they might ask?

If anyone has been through this process, providing me with some questions you were asked would be very much helpful, as the interview is in only a few weeks time.
Reply 1
I've got my sixth form interview (at the school I'm currently at, not applying elsewhere) in early jan and I've been told they just ask what subjects you want to do and why, what your favourite subjects are, if you have any plans for careers/uni, whether you think your predictions are realistic, if you have very high predictions - are you considering Oxbridge? etc If it's a new sixth form they'll probably ask why you want to go there specifically, maybe about ECs, possibly a few subject related questions ie in French if you want to study it, or maths problems, that sort of thing. The general consensus (from looking at prev tsr threads) is that it is more an informal discussion than interview and doesn't form much the basis of an offer. The reference from your school, your predicted grades, any admissions tests are all more important.
Reply 2
Original post by BookWormShanti
I've got my sixth form interview (at the school I'm currently at, not applying elsewhere) in early jan and I've been told they just ask what subjects you want to do and why, what your favourite subjects are, if you have any plans for careers/uni, whether you think your predictions are realistic, if you have very high predictions - are you considering Oxbridge? etc If it's a new sixth form they'll probably ask why you want to go there specifically, maybe about ECs, possibly a few subject related questions ie in French if you want to study it, or maths problems, that sort of thing. The general consensus (from looking at prev tsr threads) is that it is more an informal discussion than interview and doesn't form much the basis of an offer. The reference from your school, your predicted grades, any admissions tests are all more important.

Thanks so much man! :smile:
Completely ****ed up my interview :L how was urs and wen was it?
Reply 4
Original post by DANNNNN12345
Completely ****ed up my interview :L how was urs and wen was it?

unlucky man, i think i did the same though, as it took me some time to complete some of the more difficult maths and chemistry equations. My interview was on Friday 7th and where did you go wrong?
umm.. well I said aluminium was magnetic :/ lol then I just failed the maths cos it was about surd :L
yeahh and I just got rejected today. fun fun fun (Y)
how bout you? have you got in?
Reply 6
Original post by DANNNNN12345
umm.. well I said aluminium was magnetic :/ lol then I just failed the maths cos it was about surd :L
yeahh and I just got rejected today. fun fun fun (Y)
how bout you? have you got in?

yeah man got rejected as well, but did it say at the bottom of your letter that if you achieve A's and A* in gcses then they might accept a few late places? That was said on my letter.
yeahh it did but my school at the moment requires a terms notice if u wanna leave so dont really wanna pay an extra 4k to get in
Reply 8
I got my letter of rejection yesterday :frown: but I was surprised because I thought I had a strong academic profile. I am taking 12 gcses altogether and they are all predicted as (5) and a*s (7) and i am taking an early as level, which is equal to 2 gcses, so overall 14 gcses .

Figev just out of curiosity what are your grades like ?

best of luck for the interview :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
i applied for a full scholarship , how about you?
Reply 10
@ninaowl, did they give you a reason for rejection? And I am sorry taht you got rejected :frown:
Reply 11
@roahssn they just said that they had a large number of applications from high quality candidates this year - but they didn't say specifically why, did you apply for latymer? and thankyou :smile:

@figuev did you apply for fee paying or scholarship?
Reply 12
@ninaowl, yes I did :smile: and its cool :biggrin:
Reply 13
@figuev what are your predicted / achieved gcse grades?
Reply 14
Yes I have but I feel so scared because I don't know what to expect :/ Have you been invited?
Reply 15
Yes I have. Have you?
Reply 16
Yes I have

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending