The Student Room Group

Edexcel M2 - 28/01/11

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
2. a) 29 J

3. a)v = t^4 - 6t^2 + 8
b) x = 1/5 t^5 - 2t^3 + 8t
c) t = 2 and t = root 2

5. Got COM as 11, 11. Angle as 24 degrees.

6. b) 2.03
c) v = 3i + (5-9.8t)j (i think)
d) something around 0.2 i think
e) sqrt(18)

7. mew>0.514 for the least value of co-efficient of friction.

8. I dont remember what velocity i actually got, but it was back in the positive direction and therefore hit the wall again.

For 1 and 4 i dont remember the questions so cant remember what i got. Hopefully Arsey will come to the rescue with some solutions sometime over the weekend!

I got 77 in this exam last June and went into this exam having done no past papers since that exam, my only revision being an hour or 2 very late last night reading the textbook through. Thought it went surprisingly well though once i got in there.. Would be awesome to get 90+ in it.

Anybody dare to give an estimate for 100, 90, 80, 70 UMS?
(edited 13 years ago)
I thought it was a fair paper. Difficult but all covered in the spec. Did anyone do OCR chemistry or physics they were terrible.
Reply 122
For the work done question, i did Wd= Wd by pulling force - Wd against friction and got 5000and something i think
Reply 123
Are there any unofficial solutions yet?

Original post by k9markiii
I thought it was a fair paper. Difficult but all covered in the spec. Did anyone do OCR chemistry or physics they were terrible.

And yes I did those horrendous papers too. ¬¬
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 124
Original post by Panda Vinnie
You might get the marks I think...but logically, time can't be negative and the question gave the inequality 0 <= t <= T

I realise...
I don't particularly want to retake in June, as I have FP2, M3, S2, S3, and M3 to all take.
WOuld make life tougher...as if Christmas wasn't bad enough.
I got something totally different compared to everyone for 1b Something like 0.4
Projectiles question I ran out of time so lost four marks on d and e.
Question 7 got a different answer to almost everyone so all accuracy marks are lost.

IN total I've probably lost 10+ at least. :eek:
I think i lsot 10 at the very most..more likely 6-8
Original post by adam01ox
For the work done question, i did Wd= Wd by pulling force - Wd against friction and got 5000and something i think

Did you consider work done against gravity?

I think the work done by the pulling force was equal to the total work done (as the pulling force is working against both friction and gravity).

I did that question twice, first using work done against friction and gravity...and the other using work done by the pulling force. They both gave the same answer ~8040J (or 8480...something like that, I can't remember!)

What did everybody get for that question?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by 04smitht
Are there any unofficial solutions yet?

And yes I did those horrendous papers too. ¬¬

Are you doign FP1 on monday?
Reply 128
Original post by dan1d
2. a) 29 J

3. a)v = t^4 - 6t^2 + 8
b) x = 1/5 t^5 - 2t^3 + 8t
c) t = 2 and t = root 2

5. Got COM as 11, 11. Angle as 24 degrees.

6. b) 2.03
c) v = 3i + (5-9.8t)j (i think)
d) something around 0.2 i think
e) sqrt(18)

7. mew>0.514 for the least value of co-efficient of friction.

8. I dont remember what velocity i actually got, but it was back in the positive direction and therefore hit the wall again.

For 1 and 4 i dont remember the questions so cant remember what i got. Hopefully Arsey will come to the rescue with some solutions sometime over the weekend!

I got 77 in this exam last June and went into this exam having done no past papers since that exam, my only revision being an hour or 2 very late last night reading the textbook through. Thought it went surprisingly well though once i got in there.. Would be awesome to get 90+ in it.

Anybody dare to give an estimate for 100, 90, 80, 70 UMS?

I recon they will be similar to Jan 2004
Jan-04 100UMS=64 90UMS=57 80UMS=50
Probably a little high.
Stab at the UMS:
100|73 90|66 80|57 70|50 60|44 50|36 40|29
These low UMS predictions make me happy..
Original post by anradu
I realise...
I don't particularly want to retake in June, as I have FP2, M3, S2, S3, and M3 to all take.
WOuld make life tougher...as if Christmas wasn't bad enough.
I got something totally different compared to everyone for 1b Something like 0.4
Projectiles question I ran out of time so lost four marks on d and e.
Question 7 got a different answer to almost everyone so all accuracy marks are lost.

IN total I've probably lost 10+ at least. :eek:

Sounds similar to me, I also got 0.4 for acceleration and messed up 7 completely. I originally had the right method but then changed it as my answer seemed ridiculous because of a stupid cosine error (grr.) I was hoping not to retake it along with FP2 FP3 STEP II and III and physics exam and inevitably retake too. Lets hope for low grade boundaries? I actually thought it was a pretty average paper though, I just made the most ridiculous mistakes!
I don't think the paper was that bad, it was just very easy to make mistakes on...lets hope that everyone else around the country made them rather than us. :ninjagirl:
Reply 133
Original post by raggamuffin93
Sounds similar to me, I also got 0.4 for acceleration and messed up 7 completely.

Oh i think i remember something similar to that for the acceleration. Maybe anyway..
Reply 134
Original post by k9markiii
Stab at the UMS:
100|73 90|66 80|57 70|50 60|44 50|36 40|29

It didn't seem too hard really, though there were a few places you could lose quite a few marks quite easily (other people seem to have, anyways). I think your UMS is a bit low tbh, but we will find out soon, I guess...
I would assume UMS would be similar to Jan 10 but a bit higher

100 - 73
90 - 66
80 - 60
70 - 54
The thing about this paper was the big mark questions were all in one part worth like 10 marks as opposed to breaking it down as parts a) b) c) etc. where each part follows the calculated values of the previous part.

That meant that there wasn't really much direction/hint from the question as to what approach/principle to apply and also that if you do make one tiny mistake...that's a huge amount of marks gone out of the window.

In that sense it was more difficult, but I found the content moderate. The collisions question was pretty simple and straight forward, it was numerical instead of the algebraic manipulation of e and inequalities etc.
Reply 137
Original post by Panda Vinnie
The thing about this paper was the big mark questions were all in one part worth like 10 marks as opposed to breaking it down as parts a) b) c) etc. where each part follows the calculated values of the previous part.

That meant that there wasn't really much direction/hint from the question as to what approach/principle to apply and also that if you do make one tiny mistake...that's a huge amount of marks gone out of the window.

In that sense it was more difficult, but I found the content moderate. The collisions question was pretty simple and straight forward, it was numerical instead of the algebraic manipulation of e and inequalities etc.

For these precise reasons I feel that most, including myself, found the paper surprising. I was confident with past papers, as most questions were concise and guided. This paper was however, rather more challenging, and so silly mistakes were easier to concede.
On the bright side this does mean that the June paper will be easer :biggrin:
Reply 138
Original post by i_hate_teeth
Are you doign FP1 on monday?

No I did it last year, 88ums I would've liked to resit it though but didn't have the time/money. Oh well, you don't need over 90ums until A2.
Original post by CapsLocke
Okay here are my answers to M2, I'm not entirely sure on these answers so don't take my word for it.

1. a) v = 12
b) a = 4/45 = 0.0889

2. a) 29 J

3. a) t^4 - 6t^2 + 8
b)1/5 t^5 - 2t3 + 8t
c) t = 2, t = 1.41 = root 2

4 a) couldn't do it
b) 10.24

5 a) 11, 11
b) 24

Not sure about question 6, could someone confirm if this is right?
6 a) .. prove
b) 2.03
c) v = 3i + (5+9.8)t
d) 0.204
e) 3root2

7. mew = 0.514

8 a) prove m = 4
b) v = 2/9 therefore moving towards the wall.

4 a) 3450 J

and 6 c) v= 3i + (5-9.8t)j

rest all are same:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending