The Student Room Group

Edexcel M2 - 28/01/11

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cazzy-joe
Did anyone get work done in Q4 as 3450J ????

I did work done = frictional force * distance :mad:

I use that to find velocity which I got as 10.2 and also I found out velocity another way by first finding acceleration and both answers were the same:confused::confused:

Anyone remember distance which particle travel up and angle slope make with horizontal??????

travelled 50m up the slope which was at an angle 20 degrees i think! :smile: I'm hoping the question said 'calculate the work done against friction' because i forgot about gpe!
Original post by chaz1992
YAY!!! :tongue:

I messed up C4 so badly and I think i've got 100 in M2 and S2 lol.

Is the A* in Further Maths dependent on an A* in maths or are they completely independent?

They are independent. A* for FM requires 90% average in 3 A2 modules

Original post by raggamuffin93
It was to do with pulling something up a rough plane. Part a was to work out the work done I think and part b was to find the speed it reach when released. Do you remember which was the 5 mark part? I think I made a silly mistake on b. thanks :smile:

I think it could be 7 marks for part a and 5 marks for part b :confused:
Reply 162
What percentage is needed to get an A*? I know in other exams, like C3 and C4, you need 90% or higher. Is it the same with M2? Or are the grade boundaries slightly lower?
Work done against resistances = Work done to over come friction (that was the only resistance) x distance travelled.

It was being pulled up an inclined plane. Its weight would be a force down the plane, and thus opposes upward motion.

Time for something to be 45 degrees below the horizontal means it's 135 degrees below the normal. tan 135 is -1, so the j vector divided by the i vector (t o a) would equal -1. As a result, I got time to be 40/49 seconds or 0.816 seconds and the velocity of it would be 3i - 3j so the speed would be 3 root 2. Did anyone else get that?

Work done against resistances = Work done to over come friction (that was the only resistance) x distance travelled.

I got 3450 or something like that and the speed going back down the hill to be 10.2.

I think you are right about the projectile question.
I just spotted my mistake I dint actually consider the vertical speed at B as downwards so I did vertical speed upwards with 45 degree instead of vertical speed downwards with 45 degree.

And you are the first person who did work done=frictional force*length
:biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by Harry S Truman
It was being pulled up an inclined plane. Its weight would be a force down the plane, and thus opposes upward motion.

Yes, however, the work done against resistances is simple work done against each component of resistance x distance travelled.

The upward inclined plane is dealt with as the normal reaction would become mg cos a rather than mg alone.
Reply 166

Sorry to be a pain and ask the same question again, but does anyone remember the marks for each question? I remember 1a) 3 marks 1b) 3 marks and 7) 10 marks but can't remember the rest! If none of the others the marks for question 4a and b would be helpful because I think I may have got part of this wrong and can then work out my rough mark. Thanks :smile:

4a) 6marks and 4b) was 5marks. 8b) 7marks. the CofM one (cant remember question number) part a) was 7marks and b) 3marks
http://www.teachnet-uk.org.uk/2006%20Projects/Maths-Mechanics_eBook_M2/Work_Energy_Power.htm

scroll down to example 3 :biggrin: .

Only thing is is that did the question say work done against resistances or just normal work done? If it was just normal work done, I may lose marks as I forgot to consider gravitational mgh :eek:

The question was out of 5 marks I think, probably would lose 2-3. No biggie.
Original post by Jkin
4a) 6marks and 4b) was 5marks. 8b) 7marks. the CofM one (cant remember question number) part a) was 7marks and b) 3marks

I think I did very well on that test. For the centre of mass question, I got centre of mass being (11,11) and angle between AB and vertical when hung from A to be 24 degrees to the nearest degree.

Time for something to be 45 degrees below the horizontal means it's 135 degrees below the normal. tan 135 is -1, so the j vector divided by the i vector (t o a) would equal -1. As a result, I got time to be 40/49 seconds or 0.816 seconds and the velocity of it would be 3i - 3j so the speed would be 3 root 2. Did anyone else get that?

I got 3450 or something like that and the speed going back down the hill to be 10.2.

For the question with the plank resting on the peg and we had to calculate mu, I got mu to be 0.517 or something close to that.

Oh yeh, and for the final question, did anyone get the velocity of P after colliding with another ball to be 2/9 ms^-1 towards the wall and so there'll be another collision between P and the wall?

Everything you've said I agree with, except I don't think you included the component of weight in part a?

Oh and I got 0.514 for mu. :smile:
Original post by Carpet21
Everything you've said I agree with, except I don't think you included the component of weight in part a?

Oh and I got 0.514 for mu. :smile:

yeh I probably got 0.514 just can't remember.

weight in what question?

yeh I probably got 0.514 just can't remember.

weight in what question?

Sorry, I meant the work done question!
Original post by India13
Yeah, that's why i used -3 instead of 3 and i got the time to be 0.816.
No idea if that's right.

That's what I did too :smile:
Reply 173
I'm really annoyed with myself about question 7.
Silly mistake of using sinx rather than cosx, and ended up with an answer of 0.187.

Is Arsey around?
Original post by Jkin
What percentage is needed to get an A*? I know in other exams, like C3 and C4, you need 90% or higher. Is it the same with M2? Or are the grade boundaries slightly lower?

You do not get A* on any individual modules.
There are only criteria placed on certain individual modules that must be met in order to obtain an overall A* grade in the A-level qualification.
Original post by H.C. Chinaski
You do not get A* on any individual modules.
There are only criteria placed on certain individual modules that must be met in order to obtain an overall A* grade in the A-level qualification.

Exactly, I still can't understand why people say they hope to get A* on a paper...it's not possible. The A* is awarded as a grade for the overall qualification with the combination of the modules. As individual modules the highest grade possible is A.

For Maths A-level you need to average 90% across C3 and C4, the application modules e.g. mechanics, stats, decision are not taken into account for the 90% average.

A* in Maths: Average 80% across the 6 A-level Modules (so at least 480/600) and average 90% across the 2 A2 core modules, C3 and C4.
Reply 176
Does anyone have the details and values for question7, the coefficient 10 marker, I wanna try and work it out again cos I got 0.60 :/
O' Arsey where art thou :frown:
Reply 178
Original post by colaj001
Does anyone have the details and values for question7, the coefficient 10 marker, I wanna try and work it out again cos I got 0.60 :/

i got 0.6 something too!! unfortunately i think its wrong coz NO-ONE got that :frown:
well i got 0.5 and i asked with my frns n he also get the same...well you r near to the answer..so might b ur answer will b ok too...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending