The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dani_88
Do you not get ANY sort of guidelines?? We have basically the area in which we have to do our dissertation on... we can't just do it on anything...
So if you have a smaller sort of area, say...i'm pretty good at coming up with ideas :p: (I already have loads for mine haha..ours is on service improvement though..what a load of ****e!)

Nope we can literally do it on ANYTHING to do with nursing lol i currently have the idea of pre-reg nursing education on pain management and how this affects their asessment of pain...but i need to simplifu it a bit. Either education or anaesthetics...
Reply 1701
Original post by Subcutaneous
Ok im staring at a blank piece of paper trying to brainstorm ideas of what to do for my dissertation and currently TOTALLY lost...

No idea where to start one bit..grr

the thought of having to do this in a matter of months (albeit a good 5 or 6 months) scares the heck out of me and makes me feel sick at the same time. I can barely bring myself to write 4000 essays atm.....can't I just do total practical assessment hahaha!

Nope we can literally do it on ANYTHING to do with nursing lol i currently have the idea of pre-reg nursing education on pain management and how this affects their asessment of pain...but i need to simplifu it a bit. Either education or anaesthetics...

I like this idea... are uni okay with you using qualitative research to do your dissertation? because pain is one of those topics that i reckon there's very little actual quantitative research on... though i could be wrong?

i think education seems like a better angle than anaesthetics... you can talk about the analgesic ladder and the pain scales and what not.... (i was incorrectly taught the analgesic ladder at first and had absolutely no idea what pain killers you could combine and what not)
Original post by dani_88
I like this idea... are uni okay with you using qualitative research to do your dissertation? because pain is one of those topics that i reckon there's very little actual quantitative research on... though i could be wrong?

i think education seems like a better angle than anaesthetics... you can talk about the analgesic ladder and the pain scales and what not.... (i was incorrectly taught the analgesic ladder at first and had absolutely no idea what pain killers you could combine and what not)

Well you can use any literature in a lit review. Pain actually has a fair few more quantitative as there are scales used to measure pain. Im going to sit down now abd brainstorm, maybe go through some placement evidence for ideas.
My dissertations on meeting the spiritual needs of patients with Advanced Alzheimer's. It interesting, I can make a point and pick apart a policy. :biggrin:
eeek i think im closer.

Just combined two interests of mine..

Pain and chronic conditions, did a search into heart failure and pain management...turns out there is little research, gaps for error BUT interesting...

hmm, could my research topic be

"Delivering effective pain management in heart failure patients"
I've had such a good day..

1) Finally decided on a dissertation topic "The effectiveness of pain management with patients who have congestiv heart failure"

2) Dissertation supervisor said I was heading for a 1st class honours, AND I found out i got the highest average of marks in my year!!

3) Been invited to speak at my schools own student engagement conference

4) Been invited to attend a national student engagement conference in scotland, fully funded by the university and means a trip to edinburgh!!

Soooo excited and very happy...:smile:
Ahh that sounds like a fab day Anna. Congrats on the grades as well!
I feel SO much more relaxed now i know what my dissertation is going to be about...

I want to find out where i'm on placement too. Plus made the decision not to go to the oxford interview, had a real think and I really am going to apply for jobs in nottinghamshire area...it's where I feel at home :frown:
This close to some kind of breakdown.
Down all the time, upset all the time, exhausted, stressed. I cant wholey blame 2nd year but i know the damn thing aint helping.
Original post by Becky_90
This close to some kind of breakdown.
Down all the time, upset all the time, exhausted, stressed. I cant wholey blame 2nd year but i know the damn thing aint helping.

2nd year blues! Just power through. I gave up after around 9months into the year, to the point where i was searching on UCAS for primary teaching degrees lol.
Yeh. I mean i cant blame uni for everything, because well, aside from uni, life has been cr@p at moment anyway! 2nd year just isnt making anything any easier!
Yeh. I mean i cant blame uni for everything, because well, aside from uni, life has been cr@p at moment anyway! 2nd year just isnt making anything any easier!

Awww :hugs: it will perk up!

Have you thought about seeing a uni counsellor?
Tbh, its a hugely long story involving a housemate of mine. I had to go into uni to explain the situation (she does the same course as me, just a year behind), so obviously on doing this uni were all about did i need any help etc.
Its just not me. Im ok for the time being, ive 2 weeks off in the middle of feb so hoping just a bit of a break from everything will sort things. See how things go afterwards.

Gonna throw this work out the window aswell lol!
Guyyssss...help!

This question is in this thing we've to do at uni:

140ml of fluid containing 600mg vancomycin is to be given over 50mins. Calculate the required pump setting in ml/hr

Now is it me or is this the most confusing question going. Any insight?
Guyyssss...help!

140ml of fluid containing 600mg vancomycin is to be given over 50mins. Calculate the required pump setting in ml/hr

EEEEK iv calculations

http://www.testandcalc.com/quiz/calcdrip.htm - may help!

http://emsstaff.buncombecounty.org/inhousetraining/ivdriprates/ivdriprates_overview1.htm
Guyyssss...help!

Is it a case of working out how much would be given if it were made up to an hour?

In which case

140mls in 50mins

Cancels down to

14mls in 5mins

so

28mls in 10mins

So therefore adding 10 minutes (28mls) to the 140mls in 50min calculation given would be,

140mls + 28mls = 168mls/hour.

But you'd only run it for 50mins (therefore giving 140mls which contains 600mg of Vancomycin) I'm yet to have much to do with pumps so I don't know much about programming them.

Thats my guess anyway...... *shrugs*
140/50=x.

x= mls per minute.

the giving per hour is simply a pump related thing as most pumps will work on a volume per hour. Get your rate per minute and multiply by 60 to get your rate per hour.

In real life the pump will ping to say it has run out after 50 minutes.

answer is 60X x. this is incidentally 168 mls/hour. Does that make sense? It is a very straightforward question if you understand WHY you need to work it out per hour and input that into the pump.
Thank you.

Actually makes alot of sense now, not as hard as i thought, just couldnt get my head around it! Me and maths really dont go together!
most drug calculations, particularly in adult nursing, are very simple. If they become complicated start again because you are probably doing it wrong.

Latest

Trending

Trending