The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Randomly logged onto track, despite it saying it was down for maintenance, and it worked! Got a conditional for International Relations, now just have to wait to find out what college
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 3401
Original post by nuttynatz
haha.. we basically do the same subjects:biggrin: I do english, economic and history HL and biololgy, maths studies and Spanish ab at SL:biggrin:

I know the orals are terrible- haha, gonna fail my spanish on my ass! Lucky thing!! Which college? I'm still waiting to hear back for law

St Aidans :smile: i got put there but i dont mind i love durham and it looks really fun.. meant to be a party college with lots of fancy dress :smile: good luck with everything! Which college did you pick?
Original post by Gooner231
Offer for English :biggrin: :biggrin: confirmed on Monday. And now the wait for the college... they do like their waiting don't they.

So so happy :biggrin:

congrats! :smile:
Which college did you apply to?
Hopefully it won't be too long a wait, I waited forever before they changed it on AES and I still havent recieved the official letter from the college but I think I'm just being rather unlucky with mail. From what I've heard most people hear within a week or so.
Original post by nuttynatz
Question 4, To what extent do we need evidence to support our beliefs, final essay for tuesday:eek: and you?, have you guys done your presentations yet?, I really cannot think of an idea, I wish they could just give us a title :rolleyes:

Yay!, aha, I should probably do that, but currently my desktop is covered with notes of deadlines:frown: but still not long now! Starting revision for a lot my subjects now coz we've finished the syllabus :biggrin:

Also lived in England when I was little because both my parents are British

yip still waiting:frown:.. my friend who is also applying for law got a rejection from Durham last week, so I'm getting really nervous. :redface:

I'm doing the one with the picasso quote about truth and lying in art (Question 8?). I do a lot of art so I figured it'd be good for the 'knower's perspective' but I'm still about 800 words over.. :s-smilie: Mine's due pretty soon too.
Yea, we're beginning to do our presentations but I don't even have a group yet so its not particularly developed, lol.

What did you do your EE in?

Yea we've finished the syllabus in most of my subjects too, just the last topic or so left (except for geography cuz its a new syllabus and the teachers have no idea how to teach it.. which is quite worrying).
I swear, the only thing getting me through these next few months is the prospect of summer and next year. But despite having 4/5 months of summer I still don't think I'll be able to fit everything I want to do in that time!! Just the number of books I want to read is ridiculous, lol.

Yea, I can understand that being rather nerve-wracking. Then again you don't know what they base it on, s/he may have had killer predictions but you have a slightly better ps or visa versa, you really don't know until you hear. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you though.

Luckily I don't know of anyone in my year applying for my course at any university, so I haven't felt any kind of 'rivalry' which I think is quite nice. Actually I dont think anyone from my school has applied to Durham for any subject, which is kinda weird. Hmm..
Original post by webber8345
congrats! :smile:
Which college did you apply to?
Hopefully it won't be too long a wait, I waited forever before they changed it on AES and I still havent recieved the official letter from the college but I think I'm just being rather unlucky with mail. From what I've heard most people hear within a week or so.

St Cuthbert's :smile: what about you?

I got an official email/letter thing from the university today so yeah hopefully the college won't take too long. Don't mind too much if it isn't St Cuths but it would be nice haha
St Cuthbert's :smile: what about you?

I got an official email/letter thing from the university today so yeah hopefully the college won't take too long. Don't mind too much if it isn't St Cuths but it would be nice haha

Hatfield :smile:
If Cuth's doesn't work out, where would the NEXT place you'd want to go be? I had given my preference for Hatfield but in the 5 weeks (!) it took them to give me any indication as to where I might be (as in, before theyd put 'hatfield' under the 'useful links' bit of AES) I decided I'd really be happy anywhere and I was just so glad I got Durham - though I did begin exploring the other colleges so I could be well informed in my excitement once the decision had been made.

Would Durham be you firm? Where else have you applied?
Grey College appeared under my links yesterday. I currently love life.

I'm doing the one with the picasso quote about truth and lying in art (Question 8?). I do a lot of art so I figured it'd be good for the 'knower's perspective' but I'm still about 800 words over.. :s-smilie: Mine's due pretty soon too.
Yea, we're beginning to do our presentations but I don't even have a group yet so its not particularly developed, lol.

I'm doing this ToK question, only focusing mine on literature. They want our in to check next week, so we can start our ToK Presentations. I'm SO not finished.
If Cuth's doesn't work out, where would the NEXT place you'd want to go be? I had given my preference for Hatfield but in the 5 weeks (!) it took them to give me any indication as to where I might be (as in, before theyd put 'hatfield' under the 'useful links' bit of AES) I decided I'd really be happy anywhere and I was just so glad I got Durham - though I did begin exploring the other colleges so I could be well informed in my excitement once the decision had been made.

Ooooh I'm not sure. Hatfield would be quite good but I'd imagine it's pretty oversubscribed, maybe St Chad's? Or St Hild. I did apply more for the uni than the college but I wandered past St Cuth's while visiting and was invited to have a look round, so that pretty much made me choose.

It would be my insurance, probably. I've got a Cambridge offer that I'm definitely definitely going to firm (:eek:) and then I think I'll make Durham the insurance. I got rejected by UCL about two weeks after sending my application (and received a "reasons" email that I fulfilled the criteria for :confused:) and got an offer from Kent around the same time. I'm waiting on St Andrews but they're also AAA and I'd much rather go to Durham.

Same two questions to you :tongue:
Original post by UnaChance

I'm doing this ToK question, only focusing mine on literature. They want our in to check next week, so we can start our ToK Presentations. I'm SO not finished.

Congrats on Grey! :smile: What subject?

Ah ok, I was thinking of doing it literature based but I figured I'd have to do very little research if I did it on visual arts as I sorta KNEW who I wanted to talk about.
It seems so weird that we don't focus on more areas of knowledge. I've mentioned a few others to cover my bases but thats the only thing that bothers me about this question.
Reply 3409

cool what subject? i love hatfield but they ran out of places so i'm in st. aidans.. but i don't mind it looks really fun too! I just LOVE Durham!
Ooooh I'm not sure. Hatfield would be quite good but I'd imagine it's pretty oversubscribed, maybe St Chad's? Or St Hild. I did apply more for the uni than the college but I wandered past St Cuth's while visiting and was invited to have a look round, so that pretty much made me choose.

It would be my insurance, probably. I've got a Cambridge offer that I'm definitely definitely going to firm (:eek:) and then I think I'll make Durham the insurance. I got rejected by UCL about two weeks after sending my application (and received a "reasons" email that I fulfilled the criteria for :confused:) and got an offer from Kent around the same time. I'm waiting on St Andrews but they're also AAA and I'd much rather go to Durham.

Same two questions to you :tongue:

Yea I think it is quite popular, and I heard/read somewhere that it actually has more applicants than castle because people figured castle would be too competitive to get into which is rather amusing. Though I don't actually know how true that is.
Anyways, good luck with St Cuth's!

Congrats on your Cambridge offer :smile: I applied to Oxford but got rejected post -interview.
Durham is def my firm and I'm so so happy about it. I haven't got an insurance yet as I've only heard from Sussex which was exactly the same offer as Durham.
I still have yet to hear back from Exeter and St Andrews.
I've also applied to McGill (and will probably apply to UBC) in Canada, and though they're very competitive they ask for lower grades in the IB so perhaps one of them will be my 'back up' lol.
I dunno, I'll see what I'm to do when I hear back from everywhere.
Congrats on Grey! :smile: What subject?

Ah ok, I was thinking of doing it literature based but I figured I'd have to do very little research if I did it on visual arts as I sorta KNEW who I wanted to talk about.
It seems so weird that we don't focus on more areas of knowledge. I've mentioned a few others to cover my bases but thats the only thing that bothers me about this question.

International Relations!

I'm using the element of truth to link in other knowledge areas, like comparing an 'artistic truth' to a truth in say history or science. It's very strange...
Reply 3412

Hi, nice to see someone else with an offer from Grey! Congrats :smile: You thinking of going on the open day?
Yea I think it is quite popular, and I heard/read somewhere that it actually has more applicants than castle because people figured castle would be too competitive to get into which is rather amusing. Though I don't actually know how true that is.
Anyways, good luck with St Cuth's!

Congrats on your Cambridge offer :smile: I applied to Oxford but got rejected post -interview.
Durham is def my firm and I'm so so happy about it. I haven't got an insurance yet as I've only heard from Sussex which was exactly the same offer as Durham.
I still have yet to hear back from Exeter and St Andrews.
I've also applied to McGill (and will probably apply to UBC) in Canada, and though they're very competitive they ask for lower grades in the IB so perhaps one of them will be my 'back up' lol.
I dunno, I'll see what I'm to do when I hear back from everywhere.

Ahaha that's quite interesting. I'd probably be happy at any college in the end though.

Thanks very much :smile: my college had a major postal fail so I had to email them, which was rather weird but definitely worth it :smile: and commiserations about Oxford. I considered Canadian/US universities (and having been to Vancouver UBC would be :love: but I think I might have another look for grad stuff/even somewhere to end up. I think I would just about be able to cope with living and working around Vancouver :tongue: :tongue: or doing grad at Berkeley. Provided I had won the lottery previously :rolleyes:

I think I might cancel St Andrews' now, but I've emailed our UCAS guru/guy to see what he thinks.
Original post by mlsdbk
cool what subject? i love hatfield but they ran out of places so i'm in st. aidans.. but i don't mind it looks really fun too! I just LOVE Durham!

Shame about Hatfield, but yea, St Aidens does look really fun :smile: Any idea if they filled up for your subject or just generally?

Anthropology, you?

I LOVE Durham too! :smile: lol
International Relations!

I'm using the element of truth to link in other knowledge areas, like comparing an 'artistic truth' to a truth in say history or science. It's very strange...

Sounds inspired! :smile: I think the IB will like that!
Reply 3416
Shame about Hatfield, but yea, St Aidens does look really fun :smile: Any idea if they filled up for your subject or just generally?

Anthropology, you?

I LOVE Durham too! :smile: lol

haha i don't know but i think that they filled up as I asked the Economics department and she said it fills up very quickly due to the huge amount of applications :smile: haha so much Durham love! I am soo happy :smile: I 'm sure i'd be happy anywhere and i love the idea of lots of fancy dress parties at Aidans haha.. so its on your AES but no confirmation by the college? Same for me too :smile:
Reply 3417
Original post by JACKKDINE
Randomly logged onto track, despite it saying it was down for maintenance, and it worked! Got a conditional for International Relations, now just have to wait to find out what college

Well done! Me too! :smile:

For Psychology. Very happy! :biggrin:
And same! I want to know if I got Castle!! Unlikely I know, but I'm hoping! :smile:
Reply 3418
Original post by blackpot
Well done! Me too! :smile:

For Psychology. Very happy! :biggrin:
And same! I want to know if I got Castle!! Unlikely I know, but I'm hoping! :smile:

Is psychology in the main campus as well? My friend didn't apply to Durham for psychology because she thought it was at the Stockton campus! Oops on her behalf :wink:
Reply 3419
Original post by Hnk2401
Is psychology in the main campus as well? My friend didn't apply to Durham for psychology because she thought it was at the Stockton campus! Oops on her behalf :wink:

Ooh, there are two types of psychology. There's psychology BSC which is on the main campus, and there's applied psychology which is on the Stockton campus.
So maybe she's applying for applied psychology :smile:
Or maybe she just misunderstood :P

Latest