The Student Room Group

Edexcel M2 - 28/01/11

Scroll to see replies

Original post by raggamuffin93
I was told that you can't use the A2 modules without the AS in maths, but you can in further maths. So in other words you'd need to put M1 and M2 in maths if you want M2 in maths, but it is fine to put M2 in further maths without M1. This may be wrong though, it's just what my teacher said so check with yours - they may know better :smile:

I also heard the same thing.
Original post by CapsLocke
for my a level in maths, can I count C1- C4, and then S1 and M2, and the of my applied modules in FM,

Possible combinations for A-Level Maths:

C1-C4 as the standard plus:

-M1 + M2
-S1 + S2
-M1 + S1
Original post by Panda Vinnie
Possible combinations for A-Level Maths:

C1-C4 as the standard plus:

-M1 + M2
-S1 + S2
-M1 + S1

Surely D1 + D2 / D1 + S1 / D1 + M1 too? :wink:
Original post by Andy Ftw
Surely D1 + D2 / D1 + S1 / D1 + M1 too? :wink:

Ah yes of course :yep: forgot about Decision maths.
http://www.edexcel.com/notices/Pages/A-star-maths.aspx

The link explains that an A* can be achieved in FM by averaging 90 UMS in your best 3 units. Any combination is acceptable so in some respects it may be slightly easier for an A* in FM, especially if you are particularly strong in Stats/Mechanics and are able to take the modules.
Reply 205
are there anyone know if there is a mark scheme for this paper?
omg i got 73J for question 2 (the kinetic energy...) did i make a silly mistake, or do it all completely wrong...?
- i did impulse = m(v-u)
- then found v, and did Ek = 1/2mv^2
Reply 207
Is Arsey doing a mark scheme? :smile:
Reply 208
oh yeh.. can someone put up the mark scheme for this paper?
Reply 209
I could put up the mark scheme if someone got the exact questions... I don't remember the numbers for question 2 for example, or how some of the questions were broken down.
Does anyone know if it matters which methods we used? I did some pretty wacky things and still came out with the same answers...it's just that their marks schemes seem pretty specific so I don't know if I'd get the marks if I didn't use any of their methods? :s-smilie:
please put up a mark scheme,
even tho it'll make me upset coz ive done sooooo badly :frown:
Omg, I got NONE of the answers right based on what was said :frown: Definitely retaking, i felt terrible in that exam :frown:
Original post by snowflakesblues

Original post by snowflakesblues
Omg, I got NONE of the answers right based on what was said :frown: Definitely retaking, i felt terrible in that exam :frown:

me too :frown:
best of luck on results day.... im so scared, messed up in all my jan modules :frown:
Reply 214
Original post by Castiel
I could put up the mark scheme if someone got the exact questions... I don't remember the numbers for question 2 for example, or how some of the questions were broken down.

can you put up the mark scheme for Projectile questions and power and energy question, please
Reply 215
Original post by H.C. Chinaski

Original post by H.C. Chinaski
You do not get A* on any individual modules.
There are only criteria placed on certain individual modules that must be met in order to obtain an overall A* grade in the A-level qualification.

Right, but if Im aiming to get an A* this year, getting over 90% in this module would be crucial. I don't want to get 80% and have to make up for it in other modules like FP3 which are known to be tough exams. Hence why I asked if the criteria in the M2 exam for an A* is lowerd
Reply 216
Original post by Jkin
Right, but if Im aiming to get an A* this year, getting over 90% in this module would be crucial. I don't want to get 80% and have to make up for it in other modules like FP3 which are known to be tough exams. Hence why I asked if the criteria in the M2 exam for an A* is lowerd

oh thats kinda the same situation with me, i was really hoping to get above 90 in this so i dont need to in my other FM modules in june but to be honest M2 didnt go very well..

and i really wish someone would put the mark scheme up.. does anyone know where i can get the mark scheme for this exam?
Original post by Jkin

I don't want to sound too harsh, but If you want good information then you have to ask good questions...

you asked
Original post by Jkin

What percentage is needed to get an A*? I know in other exams, like C3 and C4, you need 90% or higher. Is it the same with M2? Or are the grade boundaries slightly lower?

which made no sense what so ever, hence my response.
for the mew question, i wrote m = 0.51. do you think I'll lose a mark for not quoting it to 3 significant figures?!
Reply 219
Original post by kerribbz_x
for the mew question, i wrote m = 0.51. do you think I'll lose a mark for not quoting it to 3 significant figures?!

I don't think you should worry about that. I got m to be 0.187 !!!
You'll lose 1 mark for accuracy though.

What did you get 1b as?
I got 0.4 but everyone seems to have got 0.08?
Did I forget to include resistance?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending