The Student Room Group

St. Andrews Medicine Applicants 2011 :D

Seeing as my use of the search button failed to bring up an bute applicant threads thought I may as well make one, what with wanting to check out the competition and talk to other people applying and whatnot

Anyway I haven't visited but the things I've heard about it are amazing andf just wanted to see other people applying other than the other 4 people applying there at my school :h:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm considering it :colone:
Reply 2
St. Andrews is really nice but my friend who went there for medicine said the admissions tutors were ridiculously critical and biased towards people at interview :/
Reply 3
laurenl93
Seeing as my use of the search button failed to bring up an bute applicant threads thought I may as well make one, what with wanting to check out the competition and talk to other people applying and whatnot

Anyway I haven't visited but the things I've heard about it are amazing andf just wanted to see other people applying other than the other 4 people applying there at my school :h:

You should visit! The new med school is absolutely amazing :biggrin: The really nice thing about St A is the med school is small enough so that the lecturers get to know you. Number one thing is the fantastic course which is traditional (so you get taught reeeeally well) but you also get taught clinical skills etc too. PLus full body dissection for 3 years means you know your anatomy really well (you just can't learn it from textbooks!) - great if you want to be a surgeon or whatever.
Reply 4
King Newt
You should visit! The new med school is absolutely amazing :biggrin: The really nice thing about St A is the med school is small enough so that the lecturers get to know you. Number one thing is the fantastic course which is traditional (so you get taught reeeeally well) but you also get taught clinical skills etc too. PLus full body dissection for 3 years means you know your anatomy really well (you just can't learn it from textbooks!) - great if you want to be a surgeon or whatever.

St Andrews is probably my first choice. :yep:

Although would you reccomend Manchester or Scotland? At the moment I'm sort of biased towards manchester. I know you're only second year :p:
I'm applying as a graduate. Details in signature.
Reply 6
Im thinking about it as a backup incase I dont get into manchester, though I have been hearing they are bias to Scottish people? :s
Reply 7
i doubt they will be biased towards scots (and i hope not! :smile: )
Reply 8
i'm english so they can't be too biased :wink:
Reply 9
hello ... i have one question ... after finishing the three year undergraduate course where do you continue your postgraduate study ? you choose where you want to go ? or do they send you based on your grades, etc ... thanks :biggrin:
Reply 10
You continue undergraduate medicine (clinical component) at either Manchester, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dundee or Aberdeen. The selection for scottish schools is based on grades. Most people want to go to Edinburgh but the majority end up in Glasgow.
Reply 11
so in terms of getting into the undergraduate course does scottish clin and manc clin use the same selection process for applying now?
Reply 12
You don't really apply as such. You put either manchester or scotland down when you apply to St Andrews. Then if you're going to Scotland, you select your order of preference for the scottish schools in 2nd year. The places are based on preference and then grades e.g. too many people want edinburgh so places there get decided by grades. For Manchester, you select your preferences for the 4 teaching hospitals in 2nd year. This is also based on grades - most people put MRI as their first choice.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
King Newt
You don't really apply as such. You put either manchester or scotland down when you apply to St Andrews. Then if you're going to Scotland, you select your order of preference for the scottish schools in 2nd year. The places are based on preference and then grades e.g. too many people want edinburgh so places there get decided by grades. For Manchester, you select your preferences for the 4 teaching hospitals in 2nd year. This is also based on grades - most people put MRI as their first choice.

Are the other ones all in Manchester? :smile:
Reply 14
Well 3 are in Manchester, the 4th is in preston :smile:
Reply 15
King Newt
Well 3 are in Manchester, the 4th is in preston :smile:

Cheers, I take it your based at the medical school (Edinburgh, Manchester .etc.) for exams and so on?
(edited 13 years ago)
There are more places in Manchester, so do you have an increased chance of an interview/offer if you choose Manchester?

:confused:

I.e. Is the medcine admissions split into 2 (one for Scotland and 1 for Manchester)?
Reply 17
I'm not really sure about exams etc. in Manchester/Scotland - it's probably best to ask the 3rd-5th years at Manchester/Scottish med schools about the clinical course they provide there.
Reply 18
garlicbreadman
There are more places in Manchester, so do you have an increased chance of an interview/offer if you choose Manchester?

:confused:

I.e. Is the medcine admissions split into 2 (one for Scotland and 1 for Manchester)?

I don't think it really matters where you put for clinical - if they want you then they will offer you a place. If there aren't enough places on the allocation you've chosen and they want to give you an offer, they may well offer you a place on the condition that you go to a clinical school you didn't choose.
Just submitted my UCAS form. No going back noo. The long wait begins. Good luck everyone.

Quick Reply

Latest