The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rainbowbex
There is nothing wrong with arguing a point, I think the argument over the last day or so started well, but I think the point to be remembered is that yes, consider each other's arguments - everyone see's things differently and you might find you learn something, and to secondly remember that there is a point where you should let things drop. There is nothing to 'win' and that is what I feel the discussion started to turn into.

See above, debating isn't the issue, it's the way it's done. We can debate to encourage, without debating to win a point, or win an argument, and I feel the recent discussion swung towards the latter.

God Bless

EDIT: I only hope that I have not come across as dismissive or disinterested in peoples personal belief's an arguments, what I disagree with is saying that one persons stance is right and the other is wrong. surely the most important and fundamental thing is faith and belief in Jesus Christ.. the way truth and life.....

No you haven't come across as that! I purposefully haven't been joining in the argument because it's not constructive to the thread, our own faith or the missionary task which we have been set. At the end of the day, it's fine to discuss different interpretations and points of view, but we are all united in Christ, and shouldn't try and diminish other people/their beliefs...after all, at the end of the day, God is the one who knows what is right, who are we to say we know exactly what God meant in certain parts of the bible?!
Original post by Darkages
I guess these are pretty uncomfortable questions..which are hardly vacuous...hopefully some of you so-called christians will ponder on them and maybe might lead you to finding your own nirvana..

+ve rep for me pls :smile:

I was only saying the last bit was vacuous. :smile:

P.S. asking for +ve rep in each post will probably get you negged. :wink:
Matthew 26:41 "Keep watch and pray, so that you will not give in to temptation. For the spirit is willing, but the body is weak!"
My daily bible gave me this verse today, which I love

Psalm 27:14 Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord!
Original post by dreiviergrenadier
I think that's about normal, i've only been to the law group about 3 times in two years!

How come the workload is so heavy atm?

I think Queen's has a really good CU; they had some great reps last year (i'm sure they still do...), and it seems to be full of some fairly creative people. What made you choose Ebbes over Aldates?

I'll let them know that our reputation has spread far and wide :tongue:

One of last year's reps is still in the CU, the other is on her year abroad (I think....).

I chose Ebbe's because it was recommended to me a by someone who used to live in Oxford. I went there on Sunday of 1st week, and really liked it, so I stayed.

Workload - just being unlucky with overlaps in various allocations and schedules. I should be writing a lab report at the moment, for example....
I knew someone in Jesus' CU, but they left last year. How long have you been there?

Too long...

I would definitely know that person, as I finished my BA last year. I'm still around because I'm doing postgrad work. I'll PM you - quite interested to know who our mutual acquaintance is!
Reply 2866
Would it be possible to have a Christian soc discussion/debate thread?

Minus the hurtful things that some people have said, I think it's a really good thing to be having these discussions. Like someone mentioned, Christ challenged people and argued with them, and it's so important that we constantly evaluate our own opinions and stay open-minded. Sometimes, though, that's just not what people want! This thread has always been a nice place for people to build each other up, and while the two don't have to contradict each other, that sort of discussion seems to be getting drowned out by all the (ultimately less important) debate...

What made you choose Ebbes over Aldates?

Assuming you're also at Oxford, which church are you at, out of interest?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by marille
Assuming you're also at Oxford, which church are you at, out of interest?

Aldates, but purely out of convenience. Even i find it very difficult to sleep through an 8 o'clock service! It's also only a few minutes away, which helps.
:rofl:
Original post by wind-swept
I'll let them know that our reputation has spread far and wide :tongue:

One of last year's reps is still in the CU, the other is on her year abroad (I think....).

I chose Ebbe's because it was recommended to me a by someone who used to live in Oxford. I went there on Sunday of 1st week, and really liked it, so I stayed.

Workload - just being unlucky with overlaps in various allocations and schedules. I should be writing a lab report at the moment, for example....

Yeah, facebook tells me she is :tongue: I know some people who've been put off Ebbes by how conservative it is (although Aldates is much the same, maybe less overtly). Did you not get that impression?

And don't let us distract you! Although that said, i should currently be revising...
Original post by greeneyedgirl
My daily bible gave me this verse today, which I love

Psalm 27:14 Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord!

Do you listen to taize?
Original post by Magnum Opus

Original post by Magnum Opus
Do you listen to taize?

Never heard of!
Is Christ just another hero like superman, spiderman, Obama etc?

Be your own role models!
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
Is Christ just another hero like superman, spiderman, Obama etc?

Be your own role models!

Nope.
Yeah, facebook tells me she is :tongue: I know some people who've been put off Ebbes by how conservative it is (although Aldates is much the same, maybe less overtly). Did you not get that impression?

And don't let us distract you! Although that said, i should currently be revising...

Ebbe's does seem overly conservative to me, but then the best apologist I've ever met goes there so... :confused:

I wish I knew people from Jesus :frown:
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Never heard of!

Reply 2876
Aldates, but purely out of convenience. Even i find it very difficult to sleep through an 8 o'clock service! It's also only a few minutes away, which helps.

Hahah, yes, I tend to go to the late service when I've accidentally slept through all the others... : / I'm usually at Mags, though, which is a little different.
It's better than nothing. :sigh:
Original post by marille
Would it be possible to have a Christian soc discussion/debate thread?

I think that's a good idea. Just as long as people are loving and edifying in their discussions. If nothing else, it'll encourage people to read scripture more (always a good thing), read it perhaps with different angles and interpretations, and will be able to see where the other side gets their viewpoint from.

But only as long as people don't get angry or argumentative, but discuss out of love.
Original post by wind-swept

Was that because of the puddings for freshers? :rofl:

I go to Ebbe's too. Do you go to the 11:45?

Latest

Trending

Trending