The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by slawaccess23
The funny thing is, we don't actually need such a forward player to win the league, perhaps the champions league we would definitely be better off having a villa or torres up there, no question about that. That would have solved our striking options out for seasons to come but we don't actually need torres to win the league, just better defensive play/ball retention and some consistency. I don't think Arsenal have ever had any problem bagging goals away, it's just that the ball goes in the other end too.

Sometimes we do. Van Persie is the only clinical striker we have, and if he's not on form (or injured) we can't rely on Chamakh or Bendtner to put away the chances. It's OK if we have Fabregas and Nasri to pick up the slack, but it's clear when we play the second string that we need another good striker (as well as a centre-back, a left-back, and another keeper).
Reply 2341
Original post by antonfigo

lol

Haha, this is why I stopped playing Fantasy Football. :yep:

alex_hk90
Sometimes we do. Van Persie is the only clinical striker we have, and if he's not on form (or injured) we can't rely on Chamakh or Bendtner to put away the chances. It's OK if we have Fabregas and Nasri to pick up the slack, but it's clear when we play the second string that we need another good striker (as well as a centre-back, a left-back, and another keeper).

Torres is not a second-string player. He'd have to be in the first team, but so would van Persie - signing him would only cause uncertainty amongst the squad.
Original post by Abiraleft
Torres is not a second-string player. He'd have to be in the first team, but so would van Persie - signing him would only cause uncertainty amongst the squad.

Of course he's not - I'd play both of them up front in the first team. The point is that we only have one good striker, which puts a lot of pressure on the midfield to get enough goals. We're only doing well because we have such an amazing attacking midfield that can cover when van Persie is injured or out of form.
Original post by alex_hk90
Of course he's not - I'd play both of them up front in the first team. The point is that we only have one good striker, which puts a lot of pressure on the midfield to get enough goals. We're only doing well because we have such an amazing attacking midfield that can cover when van Persie is injured or out of form.

Exactly, so we don't need Torres. Definitely not for £40m+.

As said before a player like Torres would be beneficial for the CL, however I feel our priorities for the next 2-3 seasons should lie domestically. At the moment, the likes of Barca, Real, Bayern and Inter are too strong for us, we had our chance a few years ago when they wern't as good.
Reply 2344
Original post by alex_hk90

And thus, we don't really need another awesome striker. :smile:
Get Torres and stick him in goal :awesome:
Reply 2346
Original post by Colonel.
Get Torres and stick him in goal :awesome:

With Wenger declaring Szczesny No 1 (for now), I don't think GK is our biggest point of concern any more. :biggrin:

Also, Chelsea have just conceded against Everton in the FA Cup. I'm hoping we don't screw it up tomorrow, this is another cup we should be giving our all in.
Chelsea have conceded TO EVERTON. I see a panic rising of a bid for Torres.
Reply 2348
JK.
OP
C'mon Chamberlain, show us why you're worth £10mil. :teeth:
Reply 2349
1 early goal in tomorrow's match and the job should be done for Arsenal:biggrin:. Otherwise, tension for the fans.
Reply 2350
Reply 2351
supply and demand i guess
The big Dane has had plenty of joy in his wide role - he made the crucial breakthrough against Ipswich in midweek after drifting in from the flank. And Wenger believes that a recent chat with the aforementioned Henry has given Bendtner a boost.

“Thierry spoke to him,” :coma: revealed the manager. “I don't know what was said but I saw them speak together. I don't know what people speak about in the dressing room.

“It can be about football, it can be about cars, it can be about anything. But Thierry likes to give advice to the other strikers.”

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/bendtner-takes-opposite-route-to-henry
Reply 2353
The big Dane has had plenty of joy in his wide role - he made the crucial breakthrough against Ipswich in midweek after drifting in from the flank. And Wenger believes that a recent chat with the aforementioned Henry has given Bendtner a boost.

“Thierry spoke to him,” :coma: revealed the manager. “I don't know what was said but I saw them speak together. I don't know what people speak about in the dressing room.

“It can be about football, it can be about cars, it can be about anything. But Thierry likes to give advice to the other strikers.”

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/bendtner-takes-opposite-route-to-henry

Whatever it was, it certainly did improve his performance midweek. Was it Fabregas or Wilshere who assisted him in that goal?.(Long ball)
Original post by jit987
Whatever it was, it certainly did improve his performance midweek. Was it Fabregas or Wilshere who assisted him in that goal?.(Long ball)

jack ****ing wilshere :cool:
Reply 2355
jack ****ing wilshere :cool:

What a pass!
I see Arshavin scoring today...

Damn it not being on tv though!
Reply 2357
Original post by mini_lidi
I see Arshavin scoring today...

Damn it not being on tv though!

its on espn.
I expect TH said 'Do some work you fat, lazy ****'. :mmm:
I also have a feeling this will be Almunia's farewell game.

Latest