The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ilovehotchocolate
Went to the Kumar lecture.....AND got my text book signed :biggrin: Massivley sad? I don't care :p: I wasn't the only one in the queue.
Oh, and saw a fantastic discharge summary from A+E: 2 year old presented with plastic beads in both ears. Referred to ENT as very uncooporative.

Quite remarkably sad, but you're a little old now to care what other people think of you.:tongue:
Reply 641
Went to the Kumar lecture.....AND got my text book signed :biggrin: Massivley sad? I don't care :p: I wasn't the only one in the queue.
Oh, and saw a fantastic discharge summary from A+E: 2 year old presented with plastic beads in both ears. Referred to ENT as very uncooporative.

Wait till you've tried to remove shiny round things from a screaming, wriggling child, with minimal equipment and parents who don't want you hurting their little darling. Then say it's funny.

ENT have better equipment, are more skilled at fishing in ears and can do an EUA if needed. It's not just a cop out.
I've finished semester 1! albeit I haven't done the exams yet... Looking forward to cardiovascular, respiratory and renal 1.
Yay, I found out I passed the midsessional! Happy times!
Original post by felt_monkey
I've finished semester 1! albeit I haven't done the exams yet... Looking forward to cardiovascular, respiratory and renal 1.

Good luck for your exams! Renal is difficult! It was our first scenario in second term and I found it really hard :/
Original post by billet-doux
Good luck for your exams! Renal is difficult! It was our first scenario in second term and I found it really hard :/

Well I wouldn't say that - he's sometimes a bit grouchy - but actually a nice guy :p:

hehe
Reply 646
Original post by Helenia
Wait till you've tried to remove shiny round things from a screaming, wriggling child, with minimal equipment and parents who don't want you hurting their little darling. Then say it's funny.

ENT have better equipment, are more skilled at fishing in ears and can do an EUA if needed. It's not just a cop out.

Sheesh - we have it with auroscopes round here = lots of parents learning the ear-examination-clamp :colone: . No chance of antibiotics unless I see some convincing drums & then we'll talk about it... :wink:
Original post by Helenia

i think she was saying that the discharge summary was funny, rather than the referral itself
Reply 648
Original post by Helenia
I tell the parents straight off that if they're not holding on tight it's going to hurt more.
Original post by Helenia

I'm sure they are better at it, I wasn't laughing at that. I was laughing at the kiddie. What shall I do with this? In the ear! Oooo, another one!! In the other ear :smile: My Godaughter is two and has amazing tantrums, I'm very sympathetic to the unfortunate A+E doc who had to see the kid. When the discharge letter from ENT came back, it said saw this delightful little girl in my clinic referred for beads in ears. On examination ear canals were clear. Another laugh at holy terror in A+E to happy and smiley in ENT. I love kids :smile: Question: Why does everyone call them ENT, yet they call themselves otolayrngology? Is one oldf ashioned or is it just because the latter sounds fancier?
Question: Why does everyone call them ENT, yet they call themselves otolayrngology? Is one oldf ashioned or is it just because the latter sounds fancier?

In order to make the joke about "Early Nights & Tennis".
Original post by Huw Davies
In order to make the joke about "Early Nights & Tennis".

Ha, I've never heard that one +rep.
Reply 652
Just tried to help a fresher with anatomy viva...realised how little anatomy I know. I swear I'm forgetting everything I learn, new stuff is pushing old stuff out of brain, not enough brain space :frown:
Just had this email from Peninsula, what do you think?:
http://ilovehotchoc.blogspot.com/2011/01/f1-choices.html

Interesting.... I agree that Option 3 is pointless. 1 has some merit though - how do white space questions actually demonstrate whether you can be a good FY1? Clinical tests do sound like the introduction of national finals though.
Reply 655
Personally I think we should be limiting EEA trained doctors in preference of UK trainees.

However, since we're not going to do that we need to find a fair way to ensure that our graduates get jobs - I think option 1, possibly with an interview, might be the best way of doing that.
if i had to say anything at this point it would be that we left the FY1/2 to people graduating here and then admitted international (european or otherwise) into the system at the FY2+ stage into the staff/training grade places around that level. Otherwise we're massively wasting our time training people here. That said this could never happen as EU equal employment regulations forbid it.

I otherwise agree with option 1, if its going to means students are going to miss out on GMC registration it should at least be purely based on merit, at least its fair then. although it would still be massively biased in uk graduates favor because the medical schools would be better placed to prepare you for it. 2 is deffo a nono as i cant see people being prepared to full practice after 5/6years and it would be totally out of synch of other global medical training programs. 3 seems like a bit of a halfway house but better than having a pre-F1 cutoff.

edit: also we could get rid of the rubbish 'everyone is equal' policy and let FYP rotations be decided more on merit than rubbishy white space questions. that said i havent seen the new SJAs so cant comment if its got better.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 657
Option 4: Leave the EU?
Reply 658
I think the idea of linking parts of F1 to finishing medical school might be an idea - after all, if there is a crunch for jobs, why pay for medical graduates who potentially have no possibility of gaining full registration? I think extra training/mentoring potentially with full GMC registration. Full competition afterwards. Maybe so that during final year, you acquire sufficient skills to be deemed competent, after all, medical schools are very good at bits of paperwork, and teaching. So bring the two together. If that requires another year in medical school, so be it.

I don't think option 3 is that bad an idea actually. It was the way things were done in the PRHO days and is recommended in the Tooke report. Given, essentially, that the specialities you do in FY1 is almost meaningless (compared to FY2), moving the round of application for FY2 after FY1 when you have job experience, references and real skills to demonstrate under your belt makes sense. Many deaneries (Wessex, Yorkshire, South Thames to name just three) already do this with uncoupled F1 and F2.

Of course the downside would be that you have to stay in the place where you went to medical school for an extra year...

Latest

Trending

Trending