The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by meatball893
I don't really think of Ebbe's as conservative. But then, my previous church was very very different. But I agree with you on all the other points. I chose Ebbe's because most of my college's CU go there, and I went along with them and really liked it. Do you go to focus? Sorry for all the questions lol, just trying to figure out if we've met... (I doubt it, but there's no harm...) :smile:

Haha, unlucky with the early starts :p: I don't have anything before 11 :smile: (Except for 9:30 tutorials on Wednesdays this term... :frown: )

I do go to focus - I was particularly pleased when I found out that we were going through Romans this year :smile:

9.30 tutes once a week, oh poor you :tongue:
Original post by boromir9111

I'm a Muslim but I thought I come in here and say hello to everyone in here :smile:........you're so lucky, it's just cold here and that's no fun :tongue:

safe

have you seen Khodu around lately? I miss her :mmm:
Original post by Calumcalum
...then the best apologist I've ever met goes there so... :confused:

Really? Who?

Ebbe's does seem overly conservative to me

King_Duncan
In terms of conservatism, Aldates has many ministers and congregation members with similar views to those at Ebbe's

I think most people would be shocked at how conservative some the Aldates ministers are; i had a rather terrifying conversation with one (Gordon Hickson) mainly about Islam. I was very shocked.
Original post by marille
Hahah, yes, I tend to go to the late service when I've accidentally slept through all the others... : / I'm usually at Mags, though, which is a little different.

:eek: Does that mean you manage to sleep through the 6.30?!
Original post by rainbowbex
Know anyone from oreil? (sp I'm a bit dyslexic)

I know someone at Oriel (doing theology and philosophy), but tbh i think Oriel should just be generally ignored. They're too busy trying to cheat at rowing to count as a proper college :tongue:
Original post by wind-swept
9.30 tutes once a week, oh poor you :tongue:

I currently have lectures at 8.30 Mon-Wed :frown:
My earliest lecture is 11, and I find it tricky enough to get up for that...

I pity you 9:30, 8:30 people...
Reply 2907
I have 9am lectures three days a week, attendance is recorded and compulsory :frown: Then 10am on Fridays, and either 10 or 1 on Mondays depending on whether I go to the morning or afternoon philosophy lectures. Horrible timetable!
Moving back to bible college at York on Tuesday! Can't wait!
I really want to take Isaiah, Leviticus, 1&2 Samuel, Romans and Apologetics, just praying that the timetabling works out good. Hoping they're offering New Testament Background too.
Original post by dreiviergrenadier
Really? Who?

Dan Darg - know him? Think he's a PhD astrophysicist at New?

I think most people would be shocked at how conservative some the Aldates ministers are; i had a rather terrifying conversation with one (Gordon Hickson) mainly about Islam. I was very shocked.

I also noticed this, though I think he's one of the more conservative. The student pastor I know is really open and, although not liberal, more of a big-tent Christian.
But yeah, I was quite confused at the sudden emphasis on Islam when I came to Oxford. No one in the churches saw it as such a big deal theologically in Croydon (it was more the gang fights between Muslims and Christians).
Dan Darg - know him? Think he's a PhD astrophysicist at New?

I do! We went to the same Bible study group quite a few times in my first year (in fact, i'm fairly sure there are some photos of us both there somewhere...) How do you know him?

I also noticed this, though I think he's one of the more conservative. The student pastor I know is really open and, although not liberal, more of a big-tent Christian.
But yeah, I was quite confused at the sudden emphasis on Islam when I came to Oxford. No one in the churches saw it as such a big deal theologically in Croydon (it was more the gang fights between Muslims and Christians).

Gang fights?! I had assumed it was just because there actually were some Muslims in Oxford (unlike where i live). In that case i don't know.

Do you know of any more liberal churches in Oxford (other than chapels)?
I do! We went to the same Bible study group quite a few times in my first year (in fact, i'm fairly sure there are some photos of us both there somewhere...) How do you know him?

Well this is weird! Which year are you in? I go to his apologetics group :smile:

Gang fights?! I had assumed it was just because there actually were some Muslims in Oxford (unlike where i live). In that case i don't know.

I dunno. The younger generation of Croydon is mostly first few generation immigrants, so there are a lot of Muslims. Then as people get into high school, being Muslim or Christian is a way of identifying and being in a group, and you pretty much need a group in some schools or it just won't end well. Which means that you end up with quite a lot of Muslims who aren't that much into the peaceful end of their faith and who are in it just for the group solidarity, so it comes up a lot in gang warfare. I remember my friend telling me about one rave his Christian brother went to, when someone suddenly shouted "MUSLIMS ONE SIDE, CHRISTIANS THE OTHER, FIGHT" or something like that, and being the only Christian he basically juts got a whole load of bottles thrown at him and stuff.

Do you know of any more liberal churches in Oxford (other than chapels)?

Ermmm Mary Mags, St Andrews (I think?), St Columba's URC, St Margaret's. Don't know of many with a particularly substantial student population - John Wesley Methodist and Cowley Methodist maybe? Cowley has an evening service for students I think...
(Unless you're thinking very high Anglo-Catholic in which case Pusey House is for you)
Original post by + polarity -
safe

have you seen Khodu around lately? I miss her :mmm:

lol.......She rarely replies on the thread anymore, shame really :frown: :tongue: You make that Doctors appointment mate?

lol.......She rarely replies on the thread anymore, shame really :frown: :tongue: You make that Doctors appointment mate?

I'll call in the morning; same day appointment :ahee:

Assuming I wake up early :colondollar:

I did wake up at 10 today though :broken: and was up for a couple of hours, before going back to sleep.
Original post by + polarity -
I'll call in the morning; same day appointment :ahee:

Assuming I wake up early :colondollar:

I did wake up at 10 today though :broken: and was up for a couple of hours, before going back to sleep.

Glad to see you're not "that" lazy but you have a valid excuse so it's alright :biggrin:

That's a long sleep mate, is that your usual routine when you're at uni? I normally get headaches if I sleep longer, seems like the reverse for you :tongue:

Glad to see you're not "that" lazy but you have a valid excuse so it's alright :biggrin:

That's a long sleep mate, is that your usual routine when you're at uni? I normally get headaches if I sleep longer, seems like the reverse for you :tongue:

My usual routine? There is no routine. I go to bed in the middle of the night, and then wake up between 8 and 1 (in the morning/afternoon) usually.

I'm trying to regain some semblance of structure now though :yep:
I currently have lectures at 8.30 Mon-Wed :frown:

ouch - I though 9am Mon-Fri was bad, which is why I appreciate weekends
how has your day been?
Reply 2917
:eek: Does that mean you manage to sleep through the 6.30?!

That would be quite impressive. XD But no, I have chapel choir till 7ish so I can never make that one anyway... What are the other Aldates services like in style, compared to the 8.15?

Ermmm Mary Mags, St Andrews (I think?), St Columba's URC, St Margaret's. Don't know of many with a particularly substantial student population - John Wesley Methodist and Cowley Methodist maybe? Cowley has an evening service for students I think...
(Unless you're thinking very high Anglo-Catholic in which case Pusey House is for you)

Is Pusey that liberal? I know they're quite academic, but they don't like ladypriests, so I thought they were more 'Forward in Faith' than 'Affirming Catholicism'. : P
Original post by marille
Is Pusey that liberal? I know they're quite academic, but they don't like ladypriests, so I thought they were more 'Forward in Faith' than 'Affirming Catholicism'. : P

I dunno, they seem pretty yay-gay so more liberal than many others, I woulda guessed.
Reply 2919
Hey guys :smile:

Just wondering if anyone had any good bible verses for worry (minus mathew of course :smile:) and/or depression. I've got a friends going through some things atm who could use a reminder that God is there for them and will get them through it :smile:

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Latest