The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sam1am
Just found out I've been allocated Trevs for natsci (:

Slightly annoying as I originally put trevs on my ucas but then after visiting I decided I would rather and nice old college like St. Chads. I emailed them and asked if I could change my preference and they said that would probably be Hokay, but now I don't whether it was because there wasn't space at Chads or because the change didn't go through.

Ah well, sure I'll like it anyway.

hey :smile: I'm in the same boat, I really had my heart set on an old traditional Bailey college and applied for Castle. Originally put in an Open application to maximise chances then found out it doesn't matter and changed it to Castle. If it did go through then your campus code on UCAS should change, that's what happened to me. Ive been given Trevelyan too for Nat Sci (chem) ! Was slightly disappointed since i particularly dont like the building or the fact that it's a new college, but hopefully we will both come to love it :smile:. I haven't seen Trevelyan yet so keeping an open mind till the Open day. Are you going to the open day in March by any chance?? If so, which day?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Ooo yeah there was one in December on a Wednesday (can't remember which). I think the week before there was tons of snow across London and the South East and there was a chance of more on that day so decided against going since Trains are so unpredictable and I didn't want to get stuck somewhere due to the snow.

What did you think of bath?
Original post by eve_m
I've got offers from Exeter and Sussex (Exeter is a close 2nd to Durham), not heard from Bristol yet and pooled then rejected from Cambridge, so kinda similar to you :smile: Yeah, I think I'll avoid Cardiac Hill if I can - though, you know there's a 'cardiac hill' in Exeter too right? :tongue:

Ohhh what!! No way! Even at the Cornwall Campus!? Oh well, at least I can just chill out on the beach when it all gets too much :smile: Well done on your other offers too! I hear Cambridge have been a little odd with their selection criteria this year because the cleverest and busiest people in my year - e.g. head boy, also got pooled and rejected. You're not too bothered right? :smile:
Reply 3463
Original post by soph_ss12
Ohhh what!! No way! Even at the Cornwall Campus!? Oh well, at least I can just chill out on the beach when it all gets too much :smile: Well done on your other offers too! I hear Cambridge have been a little odd with their selection criteria this year because the cleverest and busiest people in my year - e.g. head boy, also got pooled and rejected. You're not too bothered right? :smile:

Nah, not at cornwall, only at Exeter :smile: as far as I know at least... Beach does sound lovely, unlike freezing Durham. And I know what you mean about Cambridge, everyone assumed my year would be a really good one, it's tiny (35ish people) but we had 10 oxbridge applicants - all rejected after interview, and I was pooled. But no, not too unhappy about it, I looove Durham so it's all good. You weren't too bothered about Oxford?
Original post by adam0311
Yeah, I'm 99% likely to firm Durham

Is your question--How many places does the college have?

No, how many are on the course? I'm just curious as to numbers in lectures/seminars and can't seem to find the numbers on the website :s-smilie:
Original post by hardy_4_paws
No, how many are on the course? I'm just curious as to numbers in lectures/seminars and can't seem to find the numbers on the website :s-smilie:

For lecture/seminar numbers, go to www.dur.ac.uk/faculty.handbook and look up your course. Once you've selected your course, it will show you all the modules you can take. If you click on the module codes and scroll down to the bottom of the page, it tells you what your contact hours will be, and what you'll be learning about. :smile:
People with offers for natsci, did you get confirmation that you had been accepted for chemistry?
I'm a bit worried, because I did put Ch in the 'further details' box on UCAS but I just want to be sure I can do chemistry otherwise I won't want to go to Durham :frown:
I emailed admissions about a month ago to ask for confirmation but they never replied.
Shall I just ask someone on the open day?
Reply 3467
Original post by 2 Love Learn
Congratulations to the both of you! :biggrin: that's brilliant! Either of you by chance going to the Bath open day?? Or even the Durham one? And if you are, which day??

I can't go to open days because I am not in the country at the time. Sorry.
Reply 3468
Original post by 2 Love Learn
Aw that sucks - but fingers crossed you get in for Bio and maths. I've not been there yet but Durham seems so lovely (or so Ive been told by everyone). Definitely my first choice, especially since cambridge rejected me but then Durham means a lot less work :biggrin:. Yeah I actually applied Open at first cause I just wanted to get into Durham and thought it would give me a better chance of getting in, then realised that it makes no difference and emailed them to change it. Chads sounds quite nice :smile: and it's an old bailey college, so it looks really pretty.

Im planning on taking mainly biology and chemistry modules and maybe a few economics just cause ive never done it and it seems quite intersting :smile:. I finally updated my signature to show UCAS so just check that out (hopefully it will appear haha). I need an A in bio, chem and maths. I'm going to wait for UCL and see both Bath and Durham so I'm sure before I firm Durham but 90% sure I will right now. We have almost the same UCAS! :biggrin: Cept I applied to UCL instead of Nottingham.
Best of Luck!

I got an offer for Bio and Maths, now just waiting to hear what college. I have to get an A in Further Maths and Biology, I already have an A* in Maths from last year. I'm about 80% sure I'll firm Durham, it's that or Nottingham, but the main thing that makes me not sure is I can do chem at Nottingham, also my older brother would be living in the city which would be cool.
Maybe I'll see you in October!!!
Original post by Upside Down
People with offers for natsci, did you get confirmation that you had been accepted for chemistry?
I'm a bit worried, because I did put Ch in the 'further details' box on UCAS but I just want to be sure I can do chemistry otherwise I won't want to go to Durham :frown:
I emailed admissions about a month ago to ask for confirmation but they never replied.

Best to ring up the NatSci director tomorrow and check :smile:
Reply 3470

Did you put chemistry as your first choice?? Some were accepted without Chemistry but Durham specifically sent emails stating they couldn't accept them for Chemistry and asked if they still wanted to be considered without it. (This happened to me and I now have a bio/maths offer). What email address did you send your emails to? it might be more effective if you email one of the following 2, I'm pretty sure they go to the same person, and he's the one who seems to have sent me all emails about natsci stuff [email protected], [email protected]
Having said all of that, I think you've probably been accepted of Chemistry if you put it on your UCAS and you have an offer.
Oh, and is Durham your first choice (if there is chemistry)? and do you know what college you've got an offer from yet?
Original post by angelmxxx
Best to ring up the NatSci director tomorrow and check :smile:

good plan :smile:
Original post by rebeccap
Did you put chemistry as your first choice?? Some were accepted without Chemistry but Durham specifically sent emails stating they couldn't accept them for Chemistry and asked if they still wanted to be considered without it. (This happened to me and I now have a bio/maths offer). What email address did you send your emails to? it might be more effective if you email one of the following 2, I'm pretty sure they go to the same person, and he's the one who seems to have sent me all emails about natsci stuff [email protected], [email protected]
Having said all of that, I think you've probably been accepted of Chemistry if you put it on your UCAS and you have an offer.
Oh, and is Durham your first choice (if there is chemistry)? and do you know what college you've got an offer from yet?

Yes I did put chemistry as my first choice, and also my personal statement made it pretty clear I wanted to study chemistry so fingers crossed! oo thanks for the email address, I'll give that a go :smile:
I've got an offer from Hatfield which I'm so happy about. Loads of people seem to not be getting their first choice colleges, which must be a bit annoying. Oh well, I doubt it matters too much anyway.
I'm not sure if Durham will be my firm. I'm completely torn between it and UCL.
Original post by hardy_4_paws

Here this will give you an idea of how many are on the course. But I'm not sure how many people are in each lecture/seminar.

http://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/ug.admissions/admindocuments/admincycle0809/2-1-5AS12sbyDepartment.pdf
Original post by eve_m
Nah, not at cornwall, only at Exeter :smile: as far as I know at least... Beach does sound lovely, unlike freezing Durham. And I know what you mean about Cambridge, everyone assumed my year would be a really good one, it's tiny (35ish people) but we had 10 oxbridge applicants - all rejected after interview, and I was pooled. But no, not too unhappy about it, I looove Durham so it's all good. You weren't too bothered about Oxford?

Yer, same. We had 14 Cambridge and 7 Oxford - I think about half of the Cambridge people got in and 3 to Oxford, but lots of medics in there so I can't really compare! I'm not too bothered about Oxford no, I liked it when I went but then I kept hearing all these things about the massive pressure and that it was as strict as school all over again :s-smilie: So after the initial dissapointment I got over it pretty quick, so many of my friends in the year above have said that you'll to be really happy wherever you end up :biggrin:
Yes I did put chemistry as my first choice, and also my personal statement made it pretty clear I wanted to study chemistry so fingers crossed! oo thanks for the email address, I'll give that a go :smile:
I've got an offer from Hatfield which I'm so happy about. Loads of people seem to not be getting their first choice colleges, which must be a bit annoying. Oh well, I doubt it matters too much anyway.
I'm not sure if Durham will be my firm. I'm completely torn between it and UCL.

I applied for chem in Nat sci. I thought I'd written chemistry on the right place on the UCAS form but apparently I hadn't and the head of department emailed me to let them know which subjects I wanted to do-especially if it was chemistry - and they couldn't consider my application until I told them. So I'm 99.99% sure that they've put you down for chemistry :smile: so no need to worry.

I'm applying to UCL too! But it's probably going to be my insurance. The main reason I chose Durham is cause it's a small place quiter and it's collegiate. I feel like it's more of a community.

If you like being in a city and going out tons then UCL is the place. Plus London is one place you can't be bored but its also expensive to live. Btw I saw the chem department for UCL and really hated it, it seemed really old and not very well equipped - Imperial is much nicer with better facilities.

(also I don't think the Nat Sci course at UCL is RSC accredited, which is a problem if you want to pursue a chemistry related career)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3476
Original post by mlsdbk
haha no i won't i really wanted hatfield put got put in aidans.. i don't really mind though i love durham so much it should be great anywhere! :smile:

Is it a reject college, havent heard of a single person actually chosing to go there haha. Im sure it will be awesome nevertheless.
Reply 3477
Original post by Taverner
Is it a reject college, havent heard of a single person actually chosing to go there haha. Im sure it will be awesome nevertheless.

haha yes it is but i don't think it matters tbh!some people do apply though! its meant to have a really good atmosphere and lots of fancy dress and events and stuff.. its only reject because the colleges are full.. ! people who get offers after january.. not because they're not good enough or anything.. after all the department picks :smile:
Original post by mlsdbk
haha yes the fancy dress seems so fun! I applied to hatfield too but they get so many applications that they run out quite early.. but you never know there might be very few people for law so they'll take you! :smile: tbh it doesn't matter like you said they're all fun! :smile: haha i'm soo excited!

lol:biggrin: Where else have you applied to?
Reply 3479
Original post by nuttynatz
lol:biggrin: Where else have you applied to?

york nottingham leeds sussex.. but Durham is my top choice for sure :smile:

Latest