The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by webber8345
Have you not finished your EE? I did mine looking at viewer interactivity in digital interactive art. (lol, yea, art again.)

I've read books but they've normally been related to either interview prep or one of my school subjects. I've been between about 4 novels for ages!

Yea hopefully travelling. Its a bit of a tradition now for people in my school to go to Ios in Greece after the IB exams so there's that, then a friend of mine has a house in the south of france so hopefully hang out there for a bit. Maybe a festival in the UK, otherwise I might go with my mum to burning man in the states which I've been dying to go to but havent been able to cuz it always overlaps with the school term.
I'm probably being a bit ambitious but this will be the first summer holiday since year 9 where I haven't HAD to do a certain amount of art and that freedom feels AMAZING :smile:
What about you?

Goodluck with your LNAT results!

lol... nope not finished yet:colondollar: final deadline is some time in Feb, our school is not the most organised:biggrin:

wow... that sounds like a pretty awesome summer.. especially the Greece and south of France bit:biggrin: Not quite sure whats gonna happen this summer... in Portugal till the end of June, so will probably be hanging out with friends, beach:biggrin: and maybe a week away somewhere, but not sure yet. Then going over to England, and have to get a summer job:frown: but need money to fund the fun at uni:wink: Hopefully do some horse riding then, and then just relax and spend time with family. My mom and I were looking into doing a trip to Egypt or Israel or something like that,:biggrin::biggrin: but not sure if that will happen:rolleyes:

Its weird.. this is probably the only summer that we will have absolutly nothing to worry about until we retire! Its gonna be so nice not having to worry about work that I'm not actually doing...:biggrin: ah, I can't wait!:biggrin:

Thank you, tomorrow will either be a very good day or a very bad one:biggrin: Have you heard from any of your other unis yet?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 3481
Original post by nuttynatz
lol... nope not finished yet:colondollar: final deadline is some time in Feb, our school is not the most organised:biggrin:

wow... that sounds like a pretty awesome summer.. especially the Greece and south of France bit:biggrin: Not quite sure whats gonna happen this summer... in Portugal till the end of June, so will probably be hanging out with friends, beach:biggrin: and maybe a week away somewhere, but not sure yet. Then going over to England, and have to get a summer job:frown: but need money to fund the fun at uni:wink: Hopefully do some horse riding then, and then just relax and spend time with family. My mom and I were looking into doing a trip to Egypt or Israel or something like that,:biggrin::biggrin: but not sure if that will happen:rolleyes:

Its weird.. this is probably the only summer that we will have absolutly nothing to worry about until we retire! Its gonna be so nice not having to worry about work that I'm not actually doing...:biggrin: ah, I can't wait!:biggrin:

Thank you, tomorrow will either be a very good day or a very bad one:biggrin: Have you heard from any of your other unis yet?

ahhhh the dreams about summer after the IB! :smile: i just want it to be now.. this stress is killing me..
Original post by mlsdbk
york nottingham leeds sussex.. but Durham is my top choice for sure :smile:

:smile: lol... do you have offers from them all then?
Reply 3483
:smile: lol... do you have offers from them all then?

haha no i haven't heard but i don't mind really :smile: i'm so happy to have Durham.. good luck with everything :smile:
Original post by 2 Love Learn
I applied for chem in Nat sci. I thought I'd written chemistry on the right place on the UCAS form but apparently I hadn't and the head of department emailed me to let them know which subjects I wanted to do-especially if it was chemistry - and they couldn't consider my application until I told them. So I'm 99.99% sure that they've put you down for chemistry :smile: so no need to worry.

I'm applying to UCL too! But it's probably going to be my insurance. The main reason I chose Durham is cause it's a small place quiter and it's collegiate. I feel like it's more of a community.

If you like being in a city and going out tons then UCL is the place. Plus London is one place you can't be bored but its also expensive to live. Btw I saw the chem department for UCL and really hated it, it seemed really old and not very well equipped - Imperial is much nicer with better facilities.

(also I don't think the Nat Sci course at UCL is RSC accredited, which is a problem if you want to pursue a chemistry related career)

Wow, such a helpful post, thanks :smile:
That's really calmed me about chemistry! I wasn't sure I'd written chemistry in the right place, but I must have I guess.
I think Durham seems amazing and it was always going to be my first choice (if i didn't get into Cambridge, which i didn't hehe). Then I applied to UCL as literally a last minute choice and I'm starting to think it might be better than Durham. My brother worked in Durham for a year and he thinks I would get very bored after a short time. But I guess it's different being a student there, than just living there.
I saw the chem department at UCL at my natsci interview and I thought it seemed quite nice. That's probably just because it stank of esters when I went in there though :tongue:
I just checked on the RSC website and you're right, UCL natsci isn't accredited. I didn't realise this was a problem!! This has thrown a spanner into the works..
Original post by mlsdbk
ahhhh the dreams about summer after the IB! :smile: i just want it to be now.. this stress is killing me..

Right?? I keep fantasizing about after the IB but its so counter-productive because it means I don't do the work I need to NOW and so I feel like I'm not ready for the exams which will determine whether I get into my uni of choice and so I'm simultaneously dreading the end of the IB.
Reply 3486
Original post by 2 Love Learn
hey :smile: I'm in the same boat, I really had my heart set on an old traditional Bailey college and applied for Castle. Originally put in an Open application to maximise chances then found out it doesn't matter and changed it to Castle. If it did go through then your campus code on UCAS should change, that's what happened to me. Ive been given Trevelyan too for Nat Sci (chem) ! Was slightly disappointed since i particularly dont like the building or the fact that it's a new college, but hopefully we will both come to love it :smile:. I haven't seen Trevelyan yet so keeping an open mind till the Open day. Are you going to the open day in March by any chance?? If so, which day?

Yeah they said instead of changing my ucas they would attach a letter with the physical copy of the application, I have a feeling my request got lost somewhere in the bureaucratic cycle though :/

And I liked the look of trevs from the internet, but then when I visited durham wasnt keen on the look of it at all. I guess there's more to a college then its buildings though. Didn't help I went to oxford for my interview and loved the old style of buildings there.

And yeah, I'm going up on the first day, the monday, might be the 22nd? Not sure. Apparently the train line to durham is closed that week so its if I can get there at all!

Wow, Egypt/Isreal sounds incredible!! :biggrin: I'm very jealous

That's such a depressing way to think about it!! Now there's so much pressure for this to be the best summer ever. lol. Well, it was going to be anyway so I guess it's just living up to its potential.

Yea, I want to get a summer job too but I have no idea where I'll be in one place for long enough.. hmm.. some mula would be very convenient - particularly for all my ambitious travelling plans! lol

No, Durham was the last one I've heard from and that was before Christmas. I'm still waiting on Exeter and St Andrews.

Goodluck with finishing your EE, trust me, itll be worth it in the end. Strive for those bonus points!! The only thing I can suggest is for you to get literally everyone you know to read it, but I'm sure you're already doing that :smile:
Reply 3488
Right?? I keep fantasizing about after the IB but its so counter-productive because it means I don't do the work I need to NOW and so I feel like I'm not ready for the exams which will determine whether I get into my uni of choice and so I'm simultaneously dreading the end of the IB.

haha defiantly have the same feelings.. right now i should be doing my econ and history coursework. Tok essay, CAS evidences, and about 5 other essays.. fun times :smile:
Original post by mlsdbk

I know.. I swear to god I found a grey hair the other day!:biggrin:.. evil organisation!:biggrin:
Wow, Egypt/Isreal sounds incredible!! :biggrin: I'm very jealous

That's such a depressing way to think about it!! Now there's so much pressure for this to be the best summer ever. lol. Well, it was going to be anyway so I guess it's just living up to its potential.

Yea, I want to get a summer job too but I have no idea where I'll be in one place for long enough.. hmm.. some mula would be very convenient - particularly for all my ambitious travelling plans! lol

No, Durham was the last one I've heard from and that was before Christmas. I'm still waiting on Exeter and St Andrews.

Goodluck with finishing your EE, trust me, itll be worth it in the end. Strive for those bonus points!! The only thing I can suggest is for you to get literally everyone you know to read it, but I'm sure you're already doing that :smile:

Thank you... almost done, just got a little more to do, but I know it'll be worth it in the end! Good luck with the rest of your stuff in IB, and hope your application goes well! :smile:
Original post by mlsdbk
haha defiantly have the same feelings.. right now i should be doing my econ and history coursework. Tok essay, CAS evidences, and about 5 other essays.. fun times :smile:

haha amen to that.
keep everything the same but substitue econ with biology and history with art projects and we are in the same stressful boat.
Reply 3492
haha amen to that.
keep everything the same but substitue econ with biology and history with art projects and we are in the same stressful boat.

we will survive! what college and subject are you? :smile:
Original post by mlsdbk
we will survive! what college and subject are you? :smile:

Anthropology at Hatfield :smile: you?
Reply 3494
Anthropology at Hatfield :smile: you?

Economics at St Aidans i think its on my useful links :smile: i applied to Hatfield but I guess its full by now! But i love Durham so i don't mind to be honest.. Aidans is supposed to be party college and it looked really fun with fancy dress and stuff :smile: are you going to the open day? aha i think i may have told you this before i get so mixed up with the names haha! :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3495
Hey, I've got an offer for Natural Sciences at Durham in Collingwood College, which I am stoked about. But I'm also waiting on an offer/rejection from UCL.

I'm not sure which one I'd prefer to go to. Any1 got any ideas/recommendations/words of wisdom? Any1 in this situation?

Any help would be awesome :smile:
Original post by jroy9
Hey, I've got an offer for Natural Sciences at Durham in Collingwood College, which I am stoked about. But I'm also waiting on an offer/rejection from UCL.

I'm not sure which one I'd prefer to go to. Any1 got any ideas/recommendations/words of wisdom? Any1 in this situation?

Any help would be awesome :smile:

I think you need to think what kind of environment you want to live and study in. I used to go to Durham, and loved my time there (I have actually applied to go back) - but while I like the university, I much prefer upbeat city environments. For me, Durham is a bit sleepy and there's not too much going on. Newcastle's only a short train ride away but most of the people I knew never really went that often. Plus for me, Newcastle is a bit sleepy too lol (I've lived in Dubai, Shanghai and Hong Kong).

The thing that's drawing me back to Durham is the relatively peaceful student life. It's quite easy to focus on your studies without being overly distracted by too many other things. Plus the fact that academically it is a fantastic institution - but in your case so is UCL. The main reason stopping me from completely wanting to go back to Durham as opposed to London, or to Hong Kong University (I now live in HK), is that there are far more things to do in big cities and you tend to meet a wider range of people.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by angelmxxx
For lecture/seminar numbers, go to www.dur.ac.uk/faculty.handbook and look up your course. Once you've selected your course, it will show you all the modules you can take. If you click on the module codes and scroll down to the bottom of the page, it tells you what your contact hours will be, and what you'll be learning about. :smile:

Thank you :smile: x
Reply 3498
Has anybody got an offer yet for PPE?
i'm still waiting :frown:
Law at Castle

Literally just accepted their offer as my firm choice - can't wait!

Latest

Trending

Trending