The Student Room Group

Edexcel Geography Unit 4 Pre Release Jan 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
is anybody doing the tectonics topic?
I'm doing tectonics section- Having difficulty on time management though...

The knowledge is there as I do geology and love geology so the pre-release is an ace but I am having issues with spending to much time on some sections and then rushing others- it does not seem like a report...

What about you?
Reply 42
yep- i'm having the same problem! i timed my intro today and it should have only taken me 10 minutes but it took me a LOT longer. I'm finding it hard to condense my intro because there are so many words to define! how are you splitting your report? wow, must really help that you are a geologist! :smile:
Reply 43
Hi, I'm doing the tectonics one too, and I'm going to split it up into:
plan
introduction
extrusive volcanic theory
extrusive volcanic case studies and their impacts (East Africa rift valley, Anhttp://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/images/icons/icon7.gifdes, Hekla and Kilauea)
evaluative comments
intrusive volcanic theory
intrusive volcanic case studies and their impacts (Yosemite Valley, Isle of Arran)
evaluative comments
seismic theory
seismic case studies and their impacts (Wasatch Fault, Sierra Madre Fault Zone)
conclusion

hope this helps!

how are you doing your methodology and sourcing? :smile:
Original post by yorkie44
yep- i'm having the same problem! i timed my intro today and it should have only taken me 10 minutes but it took me a LOT longer. I'm finding it hard to condense my intro because there are so many words to define! how are you splitting your report? wow, must really help that you are a geologist! :smile:

Yea, it does help alot actually, I am splitting my report in terms of plate boundaries- My theory is that whatever the question will be if i structure the report in terms of boundaries then i can ensure that i get everyting in:

Intro- 10 mins
convergent boundary- oceanic-oceanic island arc = 10 min
convergent boundary- oceanic- continental cordilleran = 10 min
convergent boundary- continental-continental collision = 10 min
divergent- oceanic- MOR = 10 min
divergent- rift valley = 10 min
conservative = 5 min
hotspot = 5 min
conclusion= 10 min

10 min for drawing diagrams and giving my hand a rest!

Well anyway good luck for tomorrow!
Reply 45
How are you lot revising tonight? I don't know how to. I've written a report to a question that basically has everything in it that I could be asked. It's too long but still. I know my case studies. The only problem is that my timing is completely off. I don't know how I'm going to spend only 10 mins on the intro, it seems like the amount of stuff you have to put in it that 10 mins is just not enough.

Anyway, good luck tomorrow everyone!!
Reply 46
Intro
Methodology
Volcanic Landforms(intrusive,extrusive)
Seismic Landforms
Conclusion

tried all different ways and that's definitely the best and simplest way to do it :smile:
I'm doing the tectonics one - what's everyone putting in their intro, and what kind of detail do we need in the case studies? I'm panicking quite a lot now, I spent too much time on theory and not on case studies. XD
Reply 48
Original post by Hench Goose
I'm doing the tectonics one - what's everyone putting in their intro, and what kind of detail do we need in the case studies? I'm panicking quite a lot now, I spent too much time on theory and not on case studies. XD

In the intro you just kind of explain the question, with the theory of tectonics, explain the different boundaries etc...with diagrams. define key terms like 'tectonic landscapes' etc... and case studies you don't need a lot of detail, you just need a lot of them. I think I have just over 25
Original post by englica
In the intro you just kind of explain the question, with the theory of tectonics, explain the different boundaries etc...with diagrams. define key terms like 'tectonic landscapes' etc... and case studies you don't need a lot of detail, you just need a lot of them. I think I have just over 25

Oh okay, that's what I was gonna put in my intro but I just wanted to make sure. Crikey, looks like I need more case studies...
Reply 50
Original post by Hench Goose
Oh okay, that's what I was gonna put in my intro but I just wanted to make sure. Crikey, looks like I need more case studies...

haha, if you can't remember any details, just try to remember the name of some for every type of landform. ahh, i really hope it's not about the distribution of the landforms :/
Reply 51
Good Luke to us all, I for one am going to need it.

Ben
Reply 52
wooo
so pumped :smile:
Reply 53
Original post by Becca...
wooo
so pumped :smile:

I wish, Dreading this exam. :frown:

Ben
Reply 54
soo, how did everyone find it..?
Reply 55
Hey, i'm not sure i crossed the box stating which question i answered, (it was the tectonic one) does anyone know what happens if you do this - do they give you nothing or work out which question youve answered ?
Original post by Sail2011
Hey, i'm not sure i crossed the box stating which question i answered, (it was the tectonic one) does anyone know what happens if you do this - do they give you nothing or work out which question youve answered ?

They will work it out
Reply 57
Original post by Amy_D6

HORRIBLE the worst exam I have done. the question was soooooo broad, There was virtually no structure offered by the question, not to mention I mucked up the timing! :mad:

All in all the worst day of my life (or so it felt at the time :tongue:)

Ben
Reply 58
Original post by Amy_D6

My timing went all wrong. Ended up missing out a case study that I had already spoken about in the methodology that I would use (my local one as well) and just had to say "This is where I would have put in ......... case study but I haven't got the time". Another case study ended up as bullet points and one as a spider diagram. I couldn't go into as much detail as I wanted with my other case studies and my hand writing is such a mess. But it was basically the same question which we had used as a mock and mine was too long then but I was told that it wouldn't be that long because it includes everything that could come up in the exam...then then question came up :angry: Oh and I only had one diagram :frown: two if you include the spider diagram of one of my case studies.

Anyway, how did you find it?
Reply 59
Original post by Drtux
HORRIBLE the worst exam I have done. the question was soooooo broad, There was virtually no structure offered by the question, not to mention I mucked up the timing! :mad:

All in all the worst day of my life (or so it felt at the time :tongue:)

Ben

I did that culture one and it was really broad as well. There is no way that it could have been properly answered in and hour and a half.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending