The Student Room Group

Got a job at Jack Wills!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by nisus1992
shutup mate your choosing to get involved

choosing to get involved? you asked for OUR opinions!
Hands up everyone who thinks this joker's gonna get sacked before the end of his first week?
Reply 42
OP Ignore the fools If I used to work for mcdonalds I wouldn't care about the salary either, it can't be much worse seen they pay minimum wage. At least you'll get some sort of benefit with JW although they're not the best. When you do find out let me know please. Which store have you applied/got the job for?
Reply 43
i assume its general sales assistant stuff, folding clothes, serving customers, greeting and welcoming them, checking stocks etc.... as for pay, i have yet to start i imagine i will get told all this on my first day which is next week, im on here asking for help and not a single person has helped yet so **** you , don't be mad cause i got a better job than you.

okay right ive had a job for 6 months and have recieved several promotions, the hours are superly flexible, i get paid study leave also. Furthermore, i remain constant in my view, you SHOULD have asked how much you got paid, promotion prospects, entitlements and everything. When I was interviewed for my job i had 4 other job interviews that week, i asked how much i got paid and what work it was in every single interview and ended up with a job offer from every business. So before you use blasphemy, perhaps you could just accept that you were wrong and learn from your little mistake. If you were to do make this mistake again on something like a loan agreement for example you could be tied down to a contract and not know what it entails and the consequences could be huge, see my point? And by the way, congratulations on getting the job, wish you the best of luck
Hi i recently got a job at jack wills (very happy, first ever retail job!) and I would like to know what sort of things I will have to do, how much money I will be paid, and what sort of discount I will be getting ( I heard 75% but can anyone confirm this?), I start next week and am kinda excited! Does anyone here work in jack wills?

thanksssssss

First off, congratulations on getting the job! I'm disheartened by the negative responses here. You've got a job at a high-end retailer serving customers who (I assume) will be in your age range. And you've secured a job when jobs are hard to get, so well done.

Secondly, before you apply for a company, you should check to see what is involved. I don't hold you against the fact you didn't because as you say this is your first job in retail, but companies will usually have some information on roles and expectations (and in return, benefits) on their site. Keep it in mind for the future. And if they don't, or you would like to confirm, ask at the interview! As previous posters have mentioned, asking questions at an interview is good because it shows you take an interest in the company and you are committing to the job prospect.

I suppose it is not too late to write or phone in asking some questions. Alternatively, ask employees who are there. You could just wait until your first day and see how it goes. Remember to post your findings back here! And as a side note, do you have any tips for filling out the online form? I too would like a job at Jack Wills!
Original post by Summergirl.x
There's not too many around.. but the name is around.. www.jackwills.co.uk

It's a middle class 'Fabulously British' store selling clothes aimed at preserving tradition, associated with private school. It's the 'university outfitters'or the 'outfitters to the gentry.'

Basically its a ponsy waste of space, with people wearing the clothes to try and fit into this 'ideal'.
Who the **** would want to work there? I wouldn't be seen dead in Jack Wills clothes let alone a Jack Wills shop...
Reply 47
I agree with congratulations especially in a competitive market. You must have done well in application and interview process.

Procedures seem to be revealed gradually rather than issued in one fat formal handbook. Shift rotas (each standard shift is four hours a week for someone your age) are organised and communicated online and may change to ensure cover so don't get muddled up or forget, as you are on probation for the first three months.

Make sure you use this time to shine and don't put a foot wrong. Keep up the work and image / attitude re pleasant helpful and keen ALL the time! It may look casual but there is an expectation that you greet and help and look keen and enthiusiastic through out your shift no matter how many times you have said ' hi' at the door! or been up and down stairs and smiled and folded or shown people to the changing rooms!

75% off your outfit for uniform.. taken from a look in a current season. Certain number of looks allocated to each store for staff to wear so first come first served as to what you end up wearing for a term. You will learn about discounts for you and named two or three personal contacts. Discounts are for main items not high end cost garments and some are banned for discount.

But all this you will pick up in your first few weeks especially if the store is not a new one and there are staff who are already settled in. Different in a brand new store with all new staff team.

I wish you well. It is exciting but remember that as with lots of these stores where there are so many who would love to work there, the three month stage will be a day of reckoning!!

Have fun !

Hey, I have a group interview for Manchester tomorrow, wondering if you have any tips for me? :smile:)
Reply 49
Do you have a typical JW 'look'?? That helps!!!

Not sure we are allowed to talk about interview questions as it might not be fair to those who can't access this thread.

But be prepared for role play if it is one of those large group interview processes and know your stuff about the company (that goes without saying) What sort of image/ branding is it about and if JW was a biscuit. dog/ holiday/ what would it be?

You have to come across really keen and friendly but not too pushy and work well in a team . JW style seems to be sales assistants helping out as if the customer is their good mate needing some advice on what looks good with what etc.

But that the case with lots of clothing stores.

If you got an interview, I guess you know the sort of thing they might ask or want.
Reply 50
I'm guessing you've started now... what is your pay per hour/discount? an also what did you write on the online form? some of those questions are really irritating for just an application. Thanks :smile:
Reply 51
Original post by poochi

be prepared for role play if it is one of those large group interview processes

I assume it'll be something a potential employee can relate to, i.e: "you be the fox, we'll be the men in red".
At most it's probably 25 %, I know someone who once worked at h&m and I think that's what they got. 75 % sounds too much tbh
Original post by aleathiel
At most it's probably 25 %, I know someone who once worked at h&m and I think that's what they got. 75 % sounds too much tbh

No, my friend works at Jack Wills and gets 75% off her uniform, so that's an entire outfit, which she get s to keep and it gets replaced once a term so you can build up quite a collection. But the basic discount is about 25% or something, yea.
Reply 54
I had a group interview in manchester on thursday and got the job!
you should get paid £5.80/hour if you are over 18.
Reply 55
What do they do in a group interview?

Quick Reply