The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LuhLah

I was thinking about doing medicine after it, but the idea of having to do another whole degree after 4/5 years of hard work would be tedious... not to mention expensive. Plus, I think at that point it's time to put the books down and start contributing! :smile:

now why would someone want to start contributing when you can be a student :p:

4/5 years to me now sounds like a pain, i need a year out, i don't know how people can do it
Reply 101
I've got a question about HPC registration. I always thought that you have had to work as a trainee and complete a portfolio to get the registration but having checked the HPC website I get the impression that you can apply if you have a degree alone without any real experience? So which is it?
Original post by Barça
I've got a question about HPC registration. I always thought that you have had to work as a trainee and complete a portfolio to get the registration but having checked the HPC website I get the impression that you can apply if you have a degree alone without any real experience? So which is it?

You need a certificate of competence from the IBMS. Either through a year out in a co-terminus degree, or by applying for trainee posts in NHS labs upon graduation.

I'm currently preparing for it on my placement starting in September this year, so if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask me :smile:
Reply 103
Original post by Jack7Richards
You need a certificate of competence from the IBMS. Either through a year out in a co-terminus degree, or by applying for trainee posts in NHS labs upon graduation.

I'm currently preparing for it on my placement starting in September this year, so if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask me :smile:

I see, now it's just that I'm currently unemployed and most of the positions, no scratch that all of the positions ask for HPC registration. What's hugely annoying is that there are no trainee jobs available, hasn't been for months now :frown:
Original post by Barça
I see, now it's just that I'm currently unemployed and most of the positions, no scratch that all of the positions ask for HPC registration. What's hugely annoying is that there are no trainee jobs available, hasn't been for months now :frown:

Spend your time doing as much voluntary work as possible, get yourself known around your local pathology labs, keep trying, youll get there
If anyone could help with this question:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=29532789&postcount=1
I'd be really grateful. Thanks!
Original post by Barça

Have yu emailed the labs asking them about it, they generally start coming out march time though. What discipline do you want to train in?
(edited 13 years ago)
Just a quick question: The "revision" thread appears to be in the bin but is still associated with the group (not sure if this is just me that can see this as i mod groups)

Just checking im going to remove the thread from the group is this okay?
Reply 108
hey guys I am in a similar situation. I have a Biochemistry Degree from Uni of Surrey but I want to apply for biomedical jobs within the NHS, I have also done a placement year in a molecular lab.

I was wondering even if I get a HPC registration would they consider me for a biomedical job? and not really sure how the application process works to get a HPC? if anyone knows that be great.
Original post by Latkan
hey guys I am in a similar situation. I have a Biochemistry Degree from Uni of Surrey but I want to apply for biomedical jobs within the NHS, I have also done a placement year in a molecular lab.

I was wondering even if I get a HPC registration would they consider me for a biomedical job? and not really sure how the application process works to get a HPC? if anyone knows that be great.

To get hpc registration you have to complete and approved biomed course or done top up modules and IBMS cert of competence.

A biochem degree won't meet all the criteria for registration, generally you get a job as a biomed then register having done the training. Have you contacted a lab with a trainee biomed position, they would probably be the only ones who consider you.

Email the HPC, say you want to become a biomed and see what they advise would be the best bet. To register on the hpc you need to send your degree certificate and proof of meeting the standards (ibms certificate).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 110
Approved biomed course or microbio degree... :s-smilie:
Original post by tom_tom_tom
Just a quick question: The "revision" thread appears to be in the bin but is still associated with the group (not sure if this is just me that can see this as i mod groups)

Just checking im going to remove the thread from the group is this okay?

I can see this too. Why was it put in the Recycle Bin Tom?
Original post by Inspector Jonny
I can see this too. Why was it put in the Recycle Bin Tom?

I have no idea, i dont mod the uni sections so im not aware of as to why. :shrug:
Original post by tom_tom_tom
I have no idea, i dont mod the uni sections so im not aware of as to why. :shrug:

Who does? I may be able to PM....... or ask in AAM as matter of fact.

Thanks anyway Tom

I would do ANYTHING to read the Recycle Bin :comatose:
Original post by LuhLah

which ever one you like, biomed you will touch abit off micro, but not as much as a degree in it
Original post by LuhLah

Do you want to work for the NHS, or go into research for micro/teaching/for interest, If working for the NHS go for the biomed agree, if research or anything else do micro.
Reply 116
ok I rang up IBMS and they told me since I have done a BSc Biochemistry degree I have to fill out FORM B and give them 250 GBP.

I read there are 3 out comes after they look at your app under a microscope.

1) You get Approved
2) You get Approved but you need to do additional modules at Uni.
3) They Reject you.

I think I might get the 2nd option so I was wondering how much is it going to cost me to do lets say one module at University? Does anyone know or been in this situation?

Let me know

Thanks
Original post by Latkan
I think I might get the 2nd option so I was wondering how much is it going to cost me to do lets say one module at University? Does anyone know or been in this situation?

Let me know

Thanks

It depends on the uni, but I think at essex uni it was between £5-600 to complete the needed module, she had 4 at £150 pounds.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 118
Hi guys, after some advice/opinions, where would you say is better for biomed?,
Cardiff, Southampton or Birmingham (Medical Science).
Original post by JackKndn
Hi guys, after some advice/opinions, where would you say is better for biomed?,
Cardiff, Southampton or Birmingham (Medical Science).

which ever one you like, these no point spending 3 years at a uni you hate

Latest

Trending

Trending