The Student Room Group

Why does Falmouth Uni only ask for 220 points??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Gresa
because it's an arts uni
they only ask for like 2 passes at a-level, it's the emphasis on your personal statement and portfolio that matter

GREAT!! thanks :smile:
Original post by Weloveclover
The reason it's not on your 'times greatest universities' is beacause Falmouth is geared towards vocational studies mainly art, film, photography etc. Most art teachers/artists they will tell you Falmouth is the place to go, based on its facilities alone.

I understand that, and that is why some people do not feel the university has "prestige",- it's not my view. I was pointing something out is all.
Reply 42
I personally don’t think anyone should let “individuals” influence their choice on what University they should go. Going to University is a major step and listening to people bleat about what they don’t like should never influence your judgement. You should make that decision yourself that’s why there are open days and interviews. I personally want to attend Falmouth because I like the look of it, just because someone says its **** doesn’t mean it is. That’s their opinion, which they’re entitled to.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Warehouse
I personally don’t think anyone should let “individuals” influence their choice on what University they should go. Going to University is a major step and listening to people bleat about what they don’t like should never influence your judgement. You should make that decision yourself that’s why there are open days and interviews. I personally want to attend Falmouth because I like the look of it, just because someone says its **** doesn’t mean it is. That’s their opinion, which they’re entitled to.

But reputation is quite a big influence in the art world, so you should at least bring its reputation into consideration.
Reply 44
Folks, people are going off track with the question I asked lets just keep it about Falmouth :smile: x
Original post by Zoe Edwards
Folks, people are going off track with the question I asked lets just keep it about Falmouth :smile: x

As far as I can see the question has been awnsered and the thread is still on track :rolleyes:
Reply 46
Original post by Weloveclover
As far as I can see the question has been awnsered and the thread is still on track :rolleyes:

people started talking about repuation not about the point score.
Reply 47
Original post by Zoe Edwards
people started talking about repuation not about the point score.

Point score/grades kinda goes hand in hand with reputation I'm afraid, but I understand what you mean :smile:
Reply 48
As you say most of the courses at Falmouth have a 220 point Tariff. However, if you are fortunate to be offered a place there you will be asked for nearer 320 points to secure your place.

The reason I know this is that my daughter is a first year Photograhy undergraduate at Falmouth. Last March I took her down there for her interview. The facilities there are second to none, and its all new, the student accommodation is very good indeed, in fact the best I have seen from the numerous universities we have visited.

If the course you are applying for requires a Portfolio then make sure yours is as good as it can be, as they place great emphasis on this when offering places. In fact when you have your interview they ask you for your portfolio and then leave you outside the interview room for 15 minutes whilst they look at it.

About a week after the interview, Falmouth updated my daughters UCAS record and offered her a place. To secure the place the requirement was ABB (320 Points)the A was to be in Photography. I telephoned them to ask why the requirements were ABB when the prospectus quotes 220 UCAS points. The answer I got is that the competition for places at Falmouth is very high, for Photography there were over 700 applicants for 83 places, therefore to makes sure they get the very best students they increase the requirements when places are offered.

My daughter loves it there and is having a great time. I hope this helps any of you applying to Falmouth.
Reply 49
Original post by Duplada
As you say most of the courses at Falmouth have a 220 point Tariff. However, if you are fortunate to be offered a place there you will be asked for nearer 320 points to secure your place.

The reason I know this is that my daughter is a first year Photograhy undergraduate at Falmouth. Last March I took her down there for her interview. The facilities there are second to none, and its all new, the student accommodation is very good indeed, in fact the best I have seen from the numerous universities we have visited.

If the course you are applying for requires a Portfolio then make sure yours is as good as it can be, as they place great emphasis on this when offering places. In fact when you have your interview they ask you for your portfolio and then leave you outside the interview room for 15 minutes whilst they look at it.

About a week after the interview, Falmouth updated my daughters UCAS record and offered her a place. To secure the place the requirement was ABB (320 Points)the A was to be in Photography. I telephoned them to ask why the requirements were ABB when the prospectus quotes 220 UCAS points. The answer I got is that the competition for places at Falmouth is very high, for Photography there were over 700 applicants for 83 places, therefore to makes sure they get the very best students they increase the requirements when places are offered.

My daughter loves it there and is having a great time. I hope this helps any of you applying to Falmouth.

I've heard this too, but just to settle people's nerves I have a friend who has just got the 220 offer for Journalism which sounded similarly competitive. You're right though, Falmouth have the luxury of getting who they want since their applicant per place ratio is crazy... Good luck guys!
Original post by Duplada

Helps? I'm having a panic attack now my interview is tomoz :s-smilie:
Reply 51
I know this is an old thread but I thought i'd bring it up.

I got into Falmouth through clearing with only 160 UCAS points. They'll give you a place based off your grades in relevant subjects, interview (although I didn't have one) and portfolio. I was expecting to end up in a tiny class where they where giving away places out of desperation. The class was actually fairly big and they said they give away places based on who they think has the potential to go further, who has that "spark".
Original post by Camoxide

I got into Falmouth through clearing with only 160 UCAS points. They'll give you a place based off your grades in relevant subjects, interview (although I didn't have one) and portfolio. I was expecting to end up in a tiny class where they where giving away places out of desperation. The class was actually fairly big and they said they give away places based on who they think has the potential to go further, who has that "spark".

They had the highest levels of rejection this year due to the tutors, theyre trying to hold on to people desperatly. I know of several 2nd years who moved uni and other people who turned down a place.
The points never stay at 220. If you get through to the second process, they will ask you for to attend an interview, and from there you will get an offer. Some people are rejected and not even asked for an interview, whilst some may get rejected after going down for interview.
In my a levels, i sat 2 full a levels and 2 as levels. When appyling for uni, i worked out i could get 220 quite easily when adding up my ucas points with my as levels and my full a2 levels. However, when i got to my interview, the tutor had decided that he didnt want to count my as grades and only my full a levels and gave me an offer of 2 c's from my 2 full a levels only. another girl who applied for the same course has me was offered 300 ucas points or 3 b's. meaning i was offered almost half the ucas points she was for the exact same course!

Falmouth go on interviews more than anything, they will look at your reference, personal statement, and question you on on that, if they feel your a good student, they will then give you an offered based on your as grades and predicted grades.
As someone else said, its portfolio, not grades when it comes to creative subjects. They are looking for your creative flair, personality and enthusiasm. Landing A* in maths and English cannot compare to the skills your portfolio can demonstrate.
As a 1st year, I love it down here. The campus and accommodation are amazing, the area is scenic and lovely, it's been the most amazing few weeks of my life since I moved here!
Original post by Camoxide

hey long time ago, i know but what course did you study?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending