The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Captain Crash
Of course the downside would be that you have to stay in the place where you went to medical school for an extra year...

This is the bit I'm not a genuine fan of :no:
Original post by Becca-Sarah

This is the bit I'm not a genuine fan of :no:

I wouldn't mind that, since where I currently am will be either my number 1 or number 2 deanery anyway :p:

I don't really know how they should solve the problem though :dontknow:
Reply 662
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
I wouldn't mind that, since where I currently am will be either my number 1 or number 2 deanery anyway :p:

I don't really know how they should solve the problem though :dontknow:

I thought that back when I was a first year... things changed and I'm quite glad I was able to move, though I realise that there needs to be some solution to the current problem.
Original post by Helenia
I thought that back when I was a first year... things changed and I'm quite glad I was able to move, though I realise that there needs to be some solution to the current problem.

Making FY1 a paid final year to the medical school shouldn't be too much problem though, if there was the option to move at F2?
Reply 664
As there has been a dramatic rise in the number of medical students, surely the government's desire was to increase the number of doctors - despite the economic situation. Surely there must be an option to simply hire more doctors?
Original post by Woody.
As there has been a dramatic rise in the number of medical students, surely the government's desire was to increase the number of doctors - despite the economic situation. Surely there must be an option to simply hire more doctors?

I don't think the money is available to hire any more doctors (unless they get rid of all those 'advanced nursing practitioners' that seem to be replacing FY1 here... :rolleyes: )
I really hate the idea of being stuck here for an extra year, especially as the questionnaire hinted at putting PMS graduates in a job in the same hospital as they did year 5, i.e. Truro for me. Please don't leave me in Truro for another year!! Release me from the south west!! I need London back! When I applied to university, I wanted to get nice and far away from home and try something new, but I've had enough now, I want my family back.

Realistically, it's not too bad an idea. I just hate being 6 hours away from home. I do think it would be far more sensible to improve the application system though. We already have an insane amount of assessments, so I'm not that keen for more, but I would rather that than what we have now. Or put more emphasis on rankings/degrees/publications than white space questions.
Reply 667
I was so pleased to be able to move easily after medical school that I would hate the idea of re-linking.

I guess option 1 with interview is the fairest option.
I wouldn't mind having a compulsory stay here :colone:
Reply 669
Original post by Captain Crash
Making FY1 a paid final year to the medical school shouldn't be too much problem though, if there was the option to move at F2?

My main reason for moving was my relationship with my now fiancé, who has a fairly immovable job in London. 6th year was utterly crap from that point of view - I was away on placement the whole year, then trying to get to London on most weekends to see him, and somehow occasionally spending a few hours in Cambridge to make sure my house hadn't been burgled. Trying to live in 3 places at once is expensive and stressful, so I don't think I would have particularly enjoyed having to do that for another year, probably with even more restrictions on my time through being an F1.

I know it's what they used to do up to about 2 years ago; all Cambridge students would stay in East Anglia because they started housejobs at a different time of year from everyone else, but quite a lot of us like the new system! Plus with UEA now producing doctors every year, would there actually be enough jobs for the two medical schools within the region?
As someone who did stay with their "home" Deanery, the certainty of staying put would have made my life a fair bit simpler. It is also how things used to be done. Personal considerations ignored as a house officer ought to be married to the job anyway :wink:. Still left with the problem of how to allocate jobs within the Deanery though. The main objection as I understood it was the perception that people got jobs by patronage and sucking up, and that London people got a foot in the door advantage when apply for jobs later on.
(edited 13 years ago)
Anybody got access to the Journal of Heart and Lung transplantation - and specifically this article: The Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation
Volume 29, Issue 10, October 2010, Pages 1089-1103 . :frown:

UCL only bothers to subscribe till 2004 :frown:

I will of course give my measly rep
Original post by Philosoraptor
Anybody got access to the Journal of Heart and Lung transplantation - and specifically this article: The Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation
Volume 29, Issue 10, October 2010, Pages 1089-1103 . :frown:

UCL only bothers to subscribe till 2004 :frown:

I will of course give my measly rep

"The Registry of the International Society for Heart and
Lung Transplantation: Twenty-seventh of?cial adult heart
transplant report—2010" ?

I registered an account and could access that article free - not sure if this was because I was on the trust intranet though?

Let me know if you can't get on it and I'll e-mail it to you, pm me your e-mail address or something
Gah, if I had to stay in London an extra year I think I'd go nuts.

Back to the West country for me!
Gah need to write about bone formation for PBL - the lecturer didn't turn up to the lecture today, and the powerpoint on blackboard makes no sense. Anyone know where I can find an easy to understand, step by step process of the two different types of formation? Bearing in mind this is due tomorrow :puppyeyes:
Original post by edcourageous
"The Registry of the International Society for Heart and
Lung Transplantation: Twenty-seventh of?cial adult heart
transplant report—2010" ?

I registered an account and could access that article free - not sure if this was because I was on the trust intranet though?

Let me know if you can't get on it and I'll e-mail it to you, pm me your e-mail address or something

Yeah I can't - have messaged you
Reply 676
I don't think the money is available to hire any more doctors (unless they get rid of all those 'advanced nursing practitioners' that seem to be replacing FY1 here... :rolleyes: )

True, but how much money has the government poured into more medical students, only to refuse them a job? Especially so in Scotland! Although I don't know what the situation is there wrt supply/demand of doctors.
Original post by Woody.
True, but how much money has the government poured into more medical students, only to refuse them a job? Especially so in Scotland! Although I don't know what the situation is there wrt supply/demand of doctors.

Why Scotland? We haven't had any new medical schools built up here, and no one I know is without a job for August.

Why Scotland? We haven't had any new medical schools built up here, and no one I know is without a job for August.

I think he means cause of the whole no/reduced fees thing?
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
I think he means cause of the whole no/reduced fees thing?

Oh. I tend to forget about that :colondollar: I pay pretty much the same here as I would in any other part of the UK.

Latest

Trending

Trending