The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mlsdbk
I would never :smile: Durham is better in every way possible.. that's my opinion anyway and i'm sure of it :smile: why did you ask? :smile: are you having difficulty choosing?

lol, you really love durham don't you?!
Well, i'm about 50-50 at the moment. Just not sure whether durham is for me. It seems a bit too quiet from what I've read. Going to the open day in march, so i'll get a feel of the place then.
I'm St Aidans Economics too!!
Reply 1401
Original post by rubberdam123
Well, i'm about 50-50 at the moment. Just not sure whether durham is for me. It seems a bit too quiet from what I've read. Going to the open day in march, so i'll get a feel of the place then.

omg haha! yes i'm obsessed lol.. because it's so great.. well go to the open day and see :smile: that's what i like its small so you no everybody when you go out but not too small to get bored there's quite a lot to do you'd be surprised.. have lots of friends there :smile: plus newcastle is 15 mins by train so you can go there easily for a city night out whilst having durham to chill out where everything is walking distance :smile: i'm sure you'll like the open day.. aidans is a party college.. did you originally apply there?
Original post by mlsdbk
omg haha! yes i'm obsessed lol.. because it's so great.. well go to the open day and see :smile: that's what i like its small so you no everybody when you go out but not too small to get bored there's quite a lot to do you'd be surprised.. have lots of friends there :smile: plus newcastle is 15 mins by train so you can go there easily for a city night out whilst having durham to chill out where everything is walking distance :smile: i'm sure you'll like the open day.. aidans is a party college.. did you originally apply there?

Nope, I applied to Castle. I'm actually glad i was moved to St Aidans, sounds much more informal!
Original post by mlsdbk
Same! But haha the better happened! Wanted Durham soooo much all along.. we should be so happy :smile: are you gonna firm too? which college? :smile:

Haha, definetly already had this conversation with you, I've got St Marys.
I'm waiting on Bath and if I get an offer from them there's a good chance I'll firm over Durham, with York as my back up.
Haha, I love your enthusiasm though

After being rejected from Notts and accepted at Durham Im a lil' bias :wink:

But seriously the courses appear to be very equal, with Notts offering more modular option?

Clearly im not the most qualified on that, however for the places themselves it depends what you want.

The Nottingham campus seemed to me, state of the art with a great feel to the place. With the city so close, you;d never be bored.

Durham contrasts, even with Newcastle up the road. I think it is perfect for those who want a small, compact environment. However the possibility of getting bored I suppose is awlays there.

Me, I cant wait for Durham =D
You? I'd choose from what you want outa university, they are quite different so your wanted experience should lean toward one. :smile:
Reply 1405
Nope, I applied to Castle. I'm actually glad i was moved to St Aidans, sounds much more informal!

haha yes.. the formals are fancy dress instead of gowns and its much more relaxed :smile: where do you have offers from? :smile:
Reply 1406
Original post by Glen_Nichols
So what have you done in your gap year? Why didn't you do more learning i.e further maths A level or economics/history? Maybe you would have got the offers you desired then.

History? Are you nuts?

Doing economics.
Reply 1407
anyone got an offer for economics and international economics at nottingham?
Reply 1408
Original post by simonc1993
Haha, definetly already had this conversation with you, I've got St Marys.
I'm waiting on Bath and if I get an offer from them there's a good chance I'll firm over Durham, with York as my back up.
Haha, I love your enthusiasm though

haha yes I'm all over this thread with Durham love :smile: They should thank me for all the promotion haha :P
Original post by mlsdbk
haha yes.. the formals are fancy dress instead of gowns and its much more relaxed :smile: where do you have offers from? :smile:

Aren't formals twice a week or something? fancy dress twice a week would be hilarious!!! but this obviously isn't gonna happen....

I have unconditional offers from Nottingham, leeds and southampton, a conditional from durham (A in economics) and i'm waiting on warwick.

What about you?
Reply 1410
Aren't formals twice a week or something? fancy dress twice a week would be hilarious!!! but this obviously isn't gonna happen....

I have unconditional offers from Nottingham, leeds and southampton, a conditional from durham (A in economics) and i'm waiting on warwick.

What about you?

oh cool i only have a durham offer at the moment my other unis don't seem to want to reply.. formals are twice a week at gowned colleges.. as ours is fancy dress they're about once or twice a month :smile:
Original post by lemonade789
Congrats on Bath!! I'm still waiting on those three unis :frown:
What are your a2 and gcses like (if you dont mind sharing them)? thanks

Thanks a lot :smile:

I got A*A*A* at A-level. I did Maths, Economics and Politics. As well as this, I'm doing a further maths A-level in my gap year.

I didn't do GCSE's, as I previously attended a Russian school in London, and I know that uni's don't pay attention to Russian qualifications, they ask for A-levels.

Good luck with your applications :smile:
Reply 1412
Original post by mjh.
anyone got an offer for economics and international economics at nottingham?

yes I do.
Reply 1413
Original post by Wezzler

Original post by Wezzler
yes I do.

sweet mate, well done. Do you know if you can change to straight economics in your first year?
I feel well down with my notts rejection. Its strange how they have selected ppl. As ppl on here with A*A*A predictions have been rejected whereas ppl with AAA predictions have got an offer. I dont believe in oh maybe there personal statement may have been better, because in reality, the ps is barely looked at as a deciding factor. Unis know ppl get other ppl to help them with it, so it no longer becomes a fair criteria to be judged upon.

I got AAAA in maths, chem, eco and maths at AS
Predicted A*AA in maths, physics and eco respectively
And got 4A*6A at GCSE

Wtf is goin on with unis
Reply 1415
Original post by shay_5293
I feel well down with my notts rejection. Its strange how they have selected ppl. As ppl on here with A*A*A predictions have been rejected whereas ppl with AAA predictions have got an offer. I dont believe in oh maybe there personal statement may have been better, because in reality, the ps is barely looked at as a deciding factor. Unis know ppl get other ppl to help them with it, so it no longer becomes a fair criteria to be judged upon.

And got 4A*6A at GCSE

Wtf is goin on with unis

Yeah people can get help with personal statements, but if you have done like work experience or have a part time job alongside study then that would obviously work in your favour. Besides that, references would probably play a big part and also the subjects you take. Further maths is seen as a good thing to have. Someone predicted A*A*A* in film studies, media studies and general studies for example is not going to be seen as better than someone predicted AAA in further maths, economics and chemistry. If you are taking so called 'doss subjects' that are of no relevance to your course, it doesn't matter what grades you are predicted.

I know you aren't, I'm just saying generally :smile:
Original post by shay_5293

And got 4A*6A at GCSE

Wtf is goin on with unis

All I can surmise is that maybe your lack of FM is what did you in, if not a below par PS? What else could it be? Not your predicteds. I'm predicted AAAA (damn school don't predict A*'s, which UCL really had a problem with!) I also heard Notts look for like 7 or 8 A*'s at GCSE but I think I've seen people with less than that offered on here!
Also i think as the A* is pretty new and some
schools dont predict it, it would be a pretty rough deal for universities to give much credence to A* predictions.
Reply 1418
Original post by mjh.
sweet mate, well done. Do you know if you can change to straight economics in your first year?

i'm pretty sure you can as there very very similar.
Reply 1419
Original post by Wezzler

Original post by Wezzler
i'm pretty sure you can as there very very similar.

Yeah that's what i thought. Is Nottingham your first choice?

Latest

Trending

Trending