The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3500
heya St Aidans is under my useful links.. how long does it take to get a confirmation :smile: ??
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by MrAnderson87
Law at Castle

Literally just accepted their offer as my firm choice - can't wait!

Well done! There are quite a few people on here with law@castle. See you in October.
Reply 3502
I was away for quite some time. Any new classicists around?
Original post by mlsdbk

Original post by mlsdbk
heya St Aidans is under my useful links.. how long does it take to get a confirmation :smile: ??

Mine came in the post a couple of days later. Think the same person probably does the link and sends the letter at the same time.
Reply 3504
Original post by Sappho
I was away for quite some time. Any new classicists around?

Do you know which college yet?

Have you heard anything definitive from your other choices?

Your wait is killing me . . .
Reply 3505
Original post by Lusheenjb
I think you need to think what kind of environment you want to live and study in. I used to go to Durham, and loved my time there (I have actually applied to go back) - but while I like the university, I much prefer upbeat city environments. For me, Durham is a bit sleepy and there's not too much going on. Newcastle's only a short train ride away but most of the people I knew never really went that often. Plus for me, Newcastle is a bit sleepy too lol (I've lived in Dubai, Shanghai and Hong Kong).

The thing that's drawing me back to Durham is the relatively peaceful student life. It's quite easy to focus on your studies without being overly distracted by too many other things. Plus the fact that academically it is a fantastic institution - but in your case so is UCL. The main reason stopping me from completely wanting to go back to Durham as opposed to London, or to Hong Kong University (I now live in HK), is that there are far more things to do in big cities and you tend to meet a wider range of people.

Thanks for the reply, it's very helpful. :smile:

I am wary of the small scale of Durham and have compared this to London but still haven't come up with a decision (though I never thought about it being easier to focus on my studies, that's got to be a pro aye) however I am worried about Durham perhaps being really small, but having said that I'm not used to hugely big cities (only for holidays).

I'm not sure what you studied, but you wouldn't know how the Durham Nat Sci Course compares with that of UCL in terms of which one is thought of as higher by international and UK employers/universities etc??

Also, being from Durham do you think the college system is a huge bonus??

Sorry for all the questions, but thanks heaps for the help. :smile:
Original post by jroy9
Thanks for the reply, it's very helpful. :smile:

I am wary of the small scale of Durham and have compared this to London but still haven't come up with a decision (though I never thought about it being easier to focus on my studies, that's got to be a pro aye) however I am worried about Durham perhaps being really small, but having said that I'm not used to hugely big cities (only for holidays).

I'm not sure what you studied, but you wouldn't know how the Durham Nat Sci Course compares with that of UCL in terms of which one is thought of as higher by international and UK employers/universities etc??

Also, being from Durham do you think the college system is a huge bonus??

Sorry for all the questions, but thanks heaps for the help. :smile:

There are loads of societies and sports going on in Durham, so the idea that you won't be distracted from your studies isn't true. The colleges have sports teams and put on plays, musicals, etc. as well as the university clubs, so more people are involved in these things than at non-collegiate universities.

So it comes down to how you spend your spare time, sports, drama etc, etc, or just clubbing.
Reply 3507
Original post by tiny hobbit
There are loads of societies and sports going on in Durham, so the idea that you won't be distracted from your studies isn't true. The colleges have sports teams and put on plays, musicals, etc. as well as the university clubs, so more people are involved in these things than at non-collegiate universities.

So it comes down to how you spend your spare time, sports, drama etc, etc, or just clubbing.

So if I was into my sports (not so much the drama side, though I don't mind it) Durham has a huge advantage over UCL??
Original post by rhowell
Has anybody got an offer yet for PPE?
i'm still waiting :frown:

I got my offer before Christmas Holidays!
Original post by mlsdbk
Economics at St Aidans i think its on my useful links :smile: i applied to Hatfield but I guess its full by now! But i love Durham so i don't mind to be honest.. Aidans is supposed to be party college and it looked really fun with fancy dress and stuff :smile: are you going to the open day? aha i think i may have told you this before i get so mixed up with the names haha! :smile:

Hi, quick question please; when you say 'Useful links', do you mean then under the colleges sub option from Useful links?

We now have a status of with College, but under useful links-colleges it just gives links to all the colleges? Are we looking in the wrong place, or does that only change from all to one once a college has accepted you?

Thanks, and congratulations.
Original post by A Confused Parent
Hi, quick question please; when you say 'Useful links', do you mean then under the colleges sub option from Useful links?

We now have a status of with College, but under useful links-colleges it just gives links to all the colleges? Are we looking in the wrong place, or does that only change from all to one once a college has accepted you?

You're looking in the right place. It just means you haven't been assigned a college yet. When you get assigned a college it will say:

Colleges
Successful applicants will receive confirmation of their college via UCAS track
[Insert College] College
Colleges
Reply 3511
Original post by skypig97
Do you know which college yet?

Have you heard anything definitive from your other choices?

Your wait is killing me . . .

Haha, thanks:tongue:
Well, I haven't heard anything definite from Durham either. Just that they forwarded my application to a College. So the wait goes on. And no, not a word from the others either:frown:
Hey, i got my offer from durham a bit before christmas i think to do law at trevelyan college.
Im a bit confused though, i applied to stay at home, but on the trevelyan college website, it says that it requires its first years to stay in college, and im not really sure what that would mean for me :s
Has anyone got any experience with this type of situation?
Arghhhh...

I still haven't heard and my application hasn't got to a college yet...:frown:
Reply 3514
Original post by Kayleyyyy
I got my offer before Christmas Holidays!

oh well done :smile: i'm hopign no news is good news! i've only heard of 1 other person getting an offer for PPE yet and he got his before christmas too.
what college did you get? and do you think you will go?
Reply 3515
Original post by A Confused Parent

umm I think you only get a college under usefull links once you get an offer but i may be wrong :smile: Basically on AES under the 'useful links' option there is a link to 'colleges'. But when you have an offer and allocated to a college your college name will appear also. So there will still be a link to colleges... but above that link a direct link to your own college.. :smile: hope that helps
Reply 3516
Original post by Radio_Ladio
Hey, i got my offer from durham a bit before christmas i think to do law at trevelyan college.
Im a bit confused though, i applied to stay at home, but on the trevelyan college website, it says that it requires its first years to stay in college, and im not really sure what that would mean for me :s
Has anyone got any experience with this type of situation?

I think the best way would be to e-mail them and ask or phone :smile: They will tell you correctly :smile:
Reply 3517
Anyone who has an offer from Hatfield college but will NOT firm or insurance durham? Thanks :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3518
Original post by Upside Down
Yes I did put chemistry as my first choice, and also my personal statement made it pretty clear I wanted to study chemistry so fingers crossed! oo thanks for the email address, I'll give that a go :smile:
I've got an offer from Hatfield which I'm so happy about. Loads of people seem to not be getting their first choice colleges, which must be a bit annoying. Oh well, I doubt it matters too much anyway.
I'm not sure if Durham will be my firm. I'm completely torn between it and UCL.

heya.. depends on what you want really.. durham is a small town and while beautiful can bore some people after a while apparently.. UCl has an amazing reputation too... and is in a cosmopolitan city so i guess it depends on what you would prefer :smile: not sure which one is better at sciences probs UCL as durham is more artsy but don't know :smile: also.. what are your offers from both? Well done!
Reply 3519
Offer for history v100 :smile:

Latest