The Student Room Group

MSc Physiotherapy (pre-reg) Sep 2010/ Jan 2011 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Vinjo
Thanks. But how is Essex's reputation? Do you think its good to do pre-reg over there? Bit of a silly ques as you go there, but I want an unbiased opinion. Then again most Uni's ask for a 2:1 for their pre-reg so I guess beggers cant be choosers lol

Don't know, make your own mind up! When it comes to physio degrees though, they're all regulated by the HPC and CSP, so it doesn't really matter where you go, you learn the same thing.
Reply 41
Hey! I have just finished my first term at essex uni... and I am really enjoying it! The lecturers are brilliant and have been on observational visits seeing all different aspects of physiotherapy! If I am honest, I got a 2.1 and was worried that with essex been a 2.2 its standards wouldnt be as good, therefore it was initially my 'worst case' application. I had offers from southampton and UEA, and decided essex was a much better and appropraite uni for me! Southampton was much more research focused and wanted you to finish being good at research, where as essex I had the feel that they wanted to produce good physiotherapists (which is what I want to do). UEA, started in march and I found it very snobby so didnt like it much. I was on the reserve list for bham and probably would have gone there if I had got a place as it was lovely and course sounded good!

But I am very happy at Essex, Lecturers are brilliant and I really feel they wish to train good physios! Working as an assistant for a year, physios said to me its not about where you go but the kind of person you are and how you come across at interview etc (obviously you need a result), so I think everyone is on a level playing field where ever you train! I think you need to get out there and have a look as where you think you may like you might not!! Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 42
Thanks for that, it sure did help. I did ask a few physiotherapist during my work experience and they said the same thing. It doesn't matter where you go, as long as its a CSP approved course. Essex seems to get positive comments, I will do more research into the uni and prob will apply there.

Do you know the competition for getting into Essex? as they require a 2:2 I assume there are a lot of applicants for the course. I hope they don't use a first come, first serve basis because I still haven't sent my application off yet, hoping to by the end of the week.
Reply 43
Original post by Vinjo
Thanks for that, it sure did help. I did ask a few physiotherapist during my work experience and they said the same thing. It doesn't matter where you go, as long as its a CSP approved course. Essex seems to get positive comments, I will do more research into the uni and prob will apply there.

Do you know the competition for getting into Essex? as they require a 2:2 I assume there are a lot of applicants for the course. I hope they don't use a first come, first serve basis because I still haven't sent my application off yet, hoping to by the end of the week.

It's getting more competitive each year, for the 2010 intake my lecturer said they had 4 times as many applicants as they did the previous year (lucky for me!).
They do interviews and offer places based on that, but the interviews dates are based on when you apply, so I'd apply as early as possible if I were you!
Reply 44
I applied in about jan/feb so you should be fine! People on my intake had interviews up to June, so dont panic! There is a really range of people, with firsts to 2.2 and varieties of experience. Glad to hear you are getting experience, as I think they really look for that at interviews! Good luck with the application! :smile:
Reply 45
Thanks. If I don't get into the pre reg MSc course I am thinking of appling for the BSc course as my back up. I know its one extra year but I really want to study physiotherapy. The only concern is the funding. I know for the MSc the NHS will fund it, however is this the case for the BSc? especially as this may be my second degree. I can't get through to the uni's at the moment to ask about this as everyone is on holiday, so wondered if anyone on here knew anything about this.
Reply 46
Original post by Vinjo
Thanks. If I don't get into the pre reg MSc course I am thinking of appling for the BSc course as my back up. I know its one extra year but I really want to study physiotherapy. The only concern is the funding. I know for the MSc the NHS will fund it, however is this the case for the BSc? especially as this may be my second degree. I can't get through to the uni's at the moment to ask about this as everyone is on holiday, so wondered if anyone on here knew anything about this.

Yup, I did the same thing, applied for BSc's as a back up. The NHS still pay your course fees, and still give you a bursary at the same weekly rate (this ends up being more per year for the MSc as we are in uni more weeks in a year).
I would caution you to check this out though, as I understand that the NHS bursary is being scrapped, although don't know when.
Reply 47
Is this pretty much certain it will be scrapped?

Any idea when we will know what will be the outcome for this?
Reply 48
Original post by deb11

Original post by deb11
Hey,

I had interviews in RGU, teesside uni, and northumbria! I just got put on the reserve list for teesside but ive accepted a place in northumbria!! so if anyone else has accepted, please let me know!!!

Hi,
I have also confirmed my place on the MSc physiotherapy course at Northumbria; looking forward to getting started!
Reply 49
Original post by r.c
Hi,
I have also confirmed my place on the MSc physiotherapy course at Northumbria; looking forward to getting started!

Ya, getting nervous bout it now, wouldnt mind getting this week over and just getting started!!
Reply 50
Hiya all,

Ive been put on the reserve list for MSc Physio at brighton. Good luck to all x
Reply 51
Original post by djk_99
Yup, I did the same thing, applied for BSc's as a back up. The NHS still pay your course fees, and still give you a bursary at the same weekly rate (this ends up being more per year for the MSc as we are in uni more weeks in a year).
I would caution you to check this out though, as I understand that the NHS bursary is being scrapped, although don't know when.

I got an interview for Essex! :biggrin: I have a literacy and numeracy test. An assessed group activity, and then a formal interview. Seems like a long day. Do you have any idea what to expect in the interview? especially the assessed group activity as I have never experienced one...I'm getting a bit scared lol
Reply 52
Original post by Vinjo
I got an interview for Essex! :biggrin: I have a literacy and numeracy test. An assessed group activity, and then a formal interview. Seems like a long day. Do you have any idea what to expect in the interview? especially the assessed group activity as I have never experienced one...I'm getting a bit scared lol

Congrats!!
I didn't have a literacy or numeracy test, obviously it's getting harder!
The interview was very informal, the lecturers are lovely. Just know a bit about physio, what would make you a good physio, why you are interested etc. Definitely a good opportunity to show off your personality, as that is half of it.
My group activity (I think) was coming up with incentives to get teenage girls into sport. You need to speak up, but not dominate the conversation. Basically you and the others in your interview will discuss it while the lecturers listen in.
Good luck, you'll be fine!
Reply 53
Original post by djk_99
Congrats!!
I didn't have a literacy or numeracy test, obviously it's getting harder!
The interview was very informal, the lecturers are lovely. Just know a bit about physio, what would make you a good physio, why you are interested etc. Definitely a good opportunity to show off your personality, as that is half of it.
My group activity (I think) was coming up with incentives to get teenage girls into sport. You need to speak up, but not dominate the conversation. Basically you and the others in your interview will discuss it while the lecturers listen in.
Good luck, you'll be fine!

Thanks for the help. This is what it said in the e-mail regarding the literacy and numeracy test,
" In accordance with recruitment and selection criteria issued by the East of England Strategic Health Authority, all applicants will undergo numeracy and literacy testing as part of the application process.
Please note that this is NOT a test of academic writing, but of numeracy and written English"

So I guess there is nothing to worry about regarding that. Do you remember what specific questions they asked you? your obv not going to remember all of them, but a few would help.

I've read that some ask "So why physio instead of nursing/occupational therapy?" I would really dread that question, and would have to prepare a good answer for it.
Reply 54
anybody know what the interview is like at essex for the MSc in Physiotherapy?
Hello all.

I have an interview at Essex for Msc OT pre-reg coming up next week and was wondering if anyone had any tips for the interview. I believe that its pretty much the same set up for Msc Physiotherapy too. Any help would be most appreciated!!

Thanks!:biggrin:
Hi everyone, I am very sorry to bother you all after 6 years?? ( last post was in 2011).... I have just been offereed a place for the msc Physio at Essex, however I would like some info from someone who has studied there.
Does the course prepare you well/very well to become a good physio? I have heard that despite the Master being the same all over the UK ( subjects matter) some Universities are more focused on research, others practical...

I'd love to hear from you, if you have studied at Essex.

thanks heaps
Original post by Elisa-Betta
Hi everyone, I am very sorry to bother you all after 6 years?? ( last post was in 2011).... I have just been offereed a place for the msc Physio at Essex, however I would like some info from someone who has studied there.
Does the course prepare you well/very well to become a good physio? I have heard that despite the Master being the same all over the UK ( subjects matter) some Universities are more focused on research, others practical...

I'd love to hear from you, if you have studied at Essex.

thanks heaps

Hey :smile:
I am a current student at the university and I am doing my masters in Law at Essex. I do not have any knowledge on how the physio course works, but I can assure you that Essex as a university is the ideal place for a student, it is popular for its environment and it is ranked in top two in UK for student satisfaction according to NSS. The teaching and academic level is really high and from my personal experience I can say that it was my best choice so far. Should you need to know anything else, feel free to ask me!

^andriana
Adriana, thanks for your support. I heard the lecturers are nice and always ready to help. I was looking at the ranking for physio in the Uk an the Master of Physio at Essex was not listed. For these reasons I wanted to know a little bit more from the students within the Master. Thanks again for your support. Really appreciated!
Reply 59
Hi, it's a few years on since you posted, and I guess you've now finished, however I'm considering applying to Essex for the MSc for 2016 entry. Can you tell me about the contact time (days per week) outside of the placements? I'm weighing up the possibility of commuting rather than living locally.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending