The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7580
My parents shop at the store I work at and they ALWAYS complain about how fast the shopping is thrown down the checkout at them. Running the barcode over the scanner takes a fraction of a second, but takes a lot longer to pack it all so that nothing is crushed when it's put in the car and so stuff isn't mixed (food vs non food, meat and fish, raw and cooked, etc). There is no benefit to a store in achieving IPM, because a customer isn't going to pay until all their shopping is packed away.
being the biggest ****ing idiotic dick head imaginable.... please dont ask me how i did it because its embarrassing, but yeah the till is under by £50....

i havent been there for the first month period yet,so what do i do and what do you think the consequences will be? i dont want them to think ive been stealing, so i was thinking of just going in tomorrow, explain to them how i did it and just pay the £50 :frown: will i have to go through a hearing kind of thing?

please give me some advice :'(
(edited 13 years ago)
I think the IPM in our store is about 19, which I guess isn't too bad. But, I mostly do slow down and stop to wait for customers to catch up when I'm scanning things through. And people do seem to appreciate it when you do that. I usually do it a bit faster if there's a massive queue, or if there's more than one person packing. Although, does anyone else find a bit weird when there's two people shopping and only one person is doing the packing?

Having said that though, I sometimes see how fast other people are going and do try to go fast.(Cos I feel like that's how I should be doing it). And also after I've seen my IPM (and supervisors are usually like yeah try and do it a bit faster than that) I go a bit fast. For example today I did go a lot faster than I usually do and I'm sure a few people were less than pleased about it! But, why is it that everybody just wait until its 3.45 before deciding to head towards the tills ?
Reply 7583
Original post by bananaterracottapie
being the biggest ****ing idiotic dick head imaginable.... please dont ask me how i did it because its embarrassing, but yeah the till is under by £50....

i havent been there for the first month period yet,so what do i do and what do you think the consequences will be? i dont want them to think ive been stealing, so i was thinking of just going in tomorrow, explain to them how i did it and just pay the £50 :frown: will i have to go through a hearing kind of thing?

please give me some advice :'(

If it was a mistake, explain to them it was a mistake and how you did it. Ask for more training if you need to. Do not offer to pay if it was a mistake (If you gave too much cash back by mistake etc.), obviously if you have stolen it (I'm not saying you have), pay it back. Do tell us how you did it. My till was £75 down during my first month because a man came in with a £5 coin and asked me to change it up. I called my manager over and asked him and he said it was fine. When the manager went, he pulled out another 16 coins (Not actual amount) and I changed them up without even checking them. Another time someone asked for £15 cashback and I gave them £25 (Someone had put a £20 note in the £10 area, and I didnt check). Most you will get is a spot check. you might be targeted more for searches, over the next few weeks. Paying back makes you look guilty, but don't worry, it has happened to all of us.
Reply 7584
Original post by broadwayrachael
Aah ok :smile: are the uni stores pretty good with flexible hours for lectures and exams and stuff? If you could ask one of the people in your store i'd love you forever :tongue:

Sainsbury's kinda make it their policy to be as flexible as they can. They know your at uni and their not expecting you to stay there the rest of your life.
Original post by Foulish
If it was a mistake, explain to them it was a mistake and how you did it. Ask for more training if you need to. Do not offer to pay if it was a mistake (If you gave too much cash back by mistake etc.), obviously if you have stolen it (I'm not saying you have), pay it back. Do tell us how you did it. My till was £75 down during my first month because a man came in with a £5 coin and asked me to change it up. I called my manager over and asked him and he said it was fine. When the manager went, he pulled out another 16 coins (Not actual amount) and I changed them up without even checking them. Another time someone asked for £15 cashback and I gave them £25 (Someone had put a £20 note in the £10 area, and I didnt check). Most you will get is a spot check. you might be targeted more for searches, over the next few weeks. Paying back makes you look guilty, but don't worry, it has happened to all of us.

thanks :smile: but it was nothing to do with till training but completely my own careless mistake, i misheard somebody say they wanted to pay £50 pound cash rest on card, instead of £50 cash-back once i realised i thought okay ill just charge £100 pounds on cash back to make up the difference... just before i did that though i had 2 customers interrupt and ask me questions, and somehow ended up going along with the original £50 cash back... :/

they dont know yet....i guess ill have to go in this afternoon :/
(edited 13 years ago)
The letter I wrote to my manager worked. When he got it, he made the time to talk to me and was very apologetic. He said he thought it had been sorted out and that he would make sure it was that day. He said I had been more than patient waiting three months to get the wages I was underpaid on. Woo! :biggrin:

It was a funny old shift though. I spent the first half on the clothing department and the second half in the cafe. It was completely chaotic. But, being so busy helped the 8 hour shift fly by. :smile:
thanks :smile: but it was nothing to do with till training but completely my own careless mistake, i misheard somebody say they wanted to pay £50 pound cash rest on card, instead of £50 cash-back once i realised i thought okay ill just charge £100 pounds on cash back to make up the difference... just before i did that though i had 2 customers interrupt and ask me questions, and somehow ended up going along with the original £50 cash back... :/

Just a heads up for next time, you can just void off the £50 cash and then it will go back to the original balance :smile:
Could somebody explain this to me please? I'm meant to have an induction on Wednesday morning :

Application in Progress 08-Jan-2011 16:53:51
Application Under Review 10-Jan-2011 08:51:11
Application in Progress 17-Jan-2011 10:13:34
First Stage Interview 17-Jan-2011 10:17:12
Verbal Offer - Made 24-Jan-2011 11:37:44
Verbal Offer - Accepted 26-Jan-2011 11:13:13
>>>>>>> Terminate Application 26-Jan-2011 14:55:08 <<<<<

Does Terminate application mean i've completed all the stages and have the job or has the position been removed / something else?
Reply 7589

Doesn't sound too bad of a mistake to make. I've seen and heard of people doing much worse.
Original post by Ezekiel
Could somebody explain this to me please? I'm meant to have an induction on Wednesday morning :

Does Terminate application mean i've completed all the stages and have the job or has the position been removed / something else?

Have you been contacted by the store to tell you not to turn up to induction? It probably just means that the application process is over, although the choice of of wording could have been better.
Original post by Foulish
Doesn't sound too bad of a mistake to make. I've seen and heard of people doing much worse.

oh good thats made me feel a lot better :smile: .....do tell :P
haha nah, luckily my manager didnt seem too mad, at least they didnt shout at me although thats probably because i looked like i was about to **** myself...said they were going to look into it.
what do you reckon will happen now?
Reply 7592
Original post by Ezekiel

Don't worry, mine said that too and I panicked but still have the job now so it's okay :biggrin:

Getting a bit sick of weird men while working on the checkouts. The other day a man went through my till and held his hand out with a load of change for me get the appropriate coins, which I find a bit rude anyway but it was only a few so I did it quickly. He said "Oh you've got nippy fingers haven't you, very nimble. Bet you're in your husbands pants every night.." I just ignored him but I was so angry! Especially as I'm only 17 and my supervisor was only a few feet away. Sorry, rant over :biggrin:
Reply 7593
Original post by Katie-27
Don't worry, mine said that too and I panicked but still have the job now so it's okay :biggrin:

Getting a bit sick of weird men while working on the checkouts. The other day a man went through my till and held his hand out with a load of change for me get the appropriate coins, which I find a bit rude anyway but it was only a few so I did it quickly. He said "Oh you've got nippy fingers haven't you, very nimble. Bet you're in your husbands pants every night.." I just ignored him but I was so angry! Especially as I'm only 17 and my supervisor was only a few feet away. Sorry, rant over :biggrin:

Welcome to the world of retail :p:
Reply 7594
Original post by FXX
Welcome to the world of retail :p:

Haha, I was so naive before sainsburys!
Reply 7595
hello are you offering a job
Original post by jordon
hello are you offering a job

http://www2.sainsburys.co.uk/aboutus/recruitment/careers_new.htm go here and search for one
Hey :smile:

I've got my holiday form to fill in and it says I have 75 hours and this this includes 21 hours of bank holiday but I don't work any bank holidays, except Christmas Day, so do I only get 54 hours or can I use the 21 hours as normal holiday?

Original post by Katie-27

Thanks, yeah you're right. I phone them up it says that because I used to work with them and I already have a special ID number so they delete my new application and just restart the old one :smile:
Original post by jellybeanmonster
Hey :smile:

I've got my holiday form to fill in and it says I have 75 hours and this this includes 21 hours of bank holiday but I don't work any bank holidays, except Christmas Day, so do I only get 54 hours or can I use the 21 hours as normal holiday?

You can use it as normal holiday. You get that 21 hours as compensation for having to work on a bank holiday due to your contract..........I think

Latest