The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 700
Original post by Wangers
Really silly question, but I've seen different cannulae used, and all seem to attach to triple ports (the bits hanging off for you to put lines in) are they all individually capped - as in capped from the outside world? If not, why dosn't blood come out? - and don't say venous pressure, because when you insert the cannula the flashback pressure is enough. Really silly question I know.
Yer, all the lumen will be closed off with a luer lock cap or bionector (http://www.vygonvet.co.uk/228-bionector.html ) or similar.
Original post by Wangers
Really silly question, but I've seen different cannulae used, and all seem to attach to triple ports (the bits hanging off for you to put lines in) are they all individually capped - as in capped from the outside world? If not, why dosn't blood come out? - and don't say venous pressure, because when you insert the cannula the flashback pressure is enough. Really silly question I know.

Not to mention that once you remove the needle, the cannula bleeds like hell until you put the cap on it.

The answer is one-way valves - you don't ever take anything out of a cannula extension port.
Reply 702
Original post by Captain Crash
Not to mention that once you remove the needle, the cannula bleeds like hell until you put the cap on it.

The answer is one-way valves - you don't ever take anything out of a cannula extension port.
Lies - you can bleed them, but usually only once.
OSCE on Friday. I could do with some promethazine or loperamide right about now.
Original post by Renal
Lies - you can bleed them, but usually only once.

Through an octopus extension? Really?
Through an octopus extension? Really?

You do the one off bloods then stick an octopus on...
Unless I'm missing something...
Original post by FFCrusader
I wish it was the summer holidays again :ninja:

They're soooooooo far away :sad: plus with enough medicine, to be learnt between now and then, to emotionally castrate a small pony. *sigh*
(edited 13 years ago)

Tip 1) press down on the vein proximal to the cannula to stop it bleeding everywhere

Tip 2) if you use a cannula in the resus or a really sick surgical patient on the ward and a nurse puts that octopus on, take it off, stamp on it repeatedly, then connect the line up to the cannula itself.
I'm actually screwed people :sad:
Original post by lekky
Not all of it, and it's a good starting point before going on to other things (then you find out if things aren't right) :yep:

Yeah ok, I'll give you that. I still don't like it though, i don't get how such a widely used textbook has things in it that are blatantly wrong - it just makes more work for people by having to scout around for the right thing, we have enough to do withouh that.

:smile:
Reply 710
Original post by Jamie
Tip 2) if you use a cannula in the resus or a really sick surgical patient on the ward and a nurse puts that octopus on, take it off, stamp on it repeatedly, then connect the line up to the cannula itself.

I kept seeing this, even in A&E, we'd get two oranges or greys in an someone would still try to insist on squeezing blood through a three lumen octopus. :no:
Original post by Renal
I kept seeing this, even in A&E, we'd get two oranges or greys in an someone would still try to insist on squeezing blood through a three lumen octopus. :no:

Have you had...

...a kidney removed?
Reply 712
Original post by JordanCarroll
Have you had...

...a kidney removed?
No.

Have you ever....

...run for the position of 'Student Trustee'?
Reply 713
Hi there guys, i am thinking of applying for a medicine degree at Nottingham. Anyway, a lot of people say that the degree is boring and very difficult. i just wanted to know whehter that true or not. Also what work experiences, including Voluntary hospital work, would i need in order to strenghten my application, and give me an insight? :-)
Original post by crazyferret
They're soooooooo far away :sad: plus with enough medicine, to be learnt between now and then, to emotionally castrate a small pony. *sigh*

I know :bawling:

Then again time flies here :erm:

...why a pony? :lolwut:
Reply 715
Original post by Becca-Sarah
By that argument, the government should stop funding all these fashion management and media studies students... They all do 4 years at uni for nothing.

Well, I suppose the idea is they will get jobs and bolster the economy, which is beneficial for the government.

Original post by Renal
In a sense, £12k of fees is pissing in the wind when it comes to the cost of the degree.

Quite, which makes it seem even more insensate.
Original post by Woody.
Well, I suppose the idea is they will get jobs and bolster the economy, which is beneficial for the government.

Sorry, but media studies graduates get jobs?! :eek:

The fees thing came up in conversation at lunch (cos everyone's trying to figure out if SAAS will pay for them to intercalate). Needless to say, I have not yet found a single scottish person who has any inkling that they should contribute to the cost of their education. Most of them die of shock once they realise quite how much english student debt amounts to.
Reply 717
Original post by DstarRaW
Hi there guys, i am thinking of applying for a medicine degree at Nottingham. Anyway, a lot of people say that the degree is boring and very difficult. i just wanted to know whehter that true or not. Also what work experiences, including Voluntary hospital work, would i need in order to strenghten my application, and give me an insight? :-)

I suggest you post on the main forum. As for your questions: 'Difficult' is vague, I don't think the pre-clin concepts are overly difficult (but not necessarily easy, either), but in terms of the large amount of information to take in, that could be perceived as difficult. Clin wise you're looking at very long hours and even more in foundation years. Voluntary work would help you find out for yourself whether it's something you want to go ahead with. IMO you should do these things because you want to, and not 'for your application'.

Sorry, but media studies graduates get jobs?! :eek:

Lots of jobs just ask for a 'degree' these days.

The fees thing came up in conversation at lunch (cos everyone's trying to figure out if SAAS will pay for them to intercalate). Needless to say, I have not yet found a single scottish person who has any inkling that they should contribute to the cost of their education. Most of them die of shock once they realise quite how much english student debt amounts to.

Yes, okay that's fair enough but the point I'm getting at is that the government are spending a lot of money on med students (more than most courses) and are denying them jobs, it seems silly that they increased the med student quota (at least in England) but apparently have not proportionally done so with the number of positions for doctors. Yes, it is expensive, but one would've thought they'd take that into account when taking in more med students in the first place.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Woody.
Yes, okay that's fair enough but the point I'm getting at is that the government are spending a lot of money on med students (more than most courses) and are denying them jobs, it seems silly that they increased the med student quota (at least in England) but apparently have not proportionally done so with the number of positions for doctors. Yes, it is expensive, but one would've thought they'd take that into account when taking in more med students in the first place.

Numbers of med students seem to be going down again though. Certainly Aberdeen are now taking about 20 students less each year than when I started, which is at least a 10% decrease.
Reply 719
Numbers of med students seem to be going down again though. Certainly Aberdeen are now taking about 20 students less each year than when I started, which is at least a 10% decrease.

Many new medical schools have opened, BSMS has only had a few years of graduates, it's a very new medical school, as is HYMS. It has been in the news recently that many doctors have been unable to get a job. It seems daft that the government has spent so much money getting new medical schools up and running, and paying for new students only to deny them a job. It would seem to make sense to hire more doctors. If it is too expensive, it seems silly that they poured money into new students in the first place.

Latest

Trending

Trending