The Student Room Group

Health Care Assistant - HCA

Hi sorry guys I really need a Health Care Assistant to nag loads of questions!

One important question ive got is, I start as a HCA hopefully 25th of January but my offer letter says my contract is till 31/08/2011.. do they offer you another contract when it expires, is this standard or does anyone have a permanent contract?

Scroll to see replies

It sounds pretty standard. It depends on the trust, I had a contract that got renewed every 6 months alongside my review. That amount of time looks reasonable for them to review staffing levels, your performance etc, plus they may need to change the contract due to pay, bands etc
Reply 2
Thanks Subcutaneous.

Anyone who is interested in becoming a Health Care Assistant or anything is free to read my blog!
http://journalofahca.blogspot.com I am only just starting off now and my training starts 25th of January so that is when all the action will be posted. :smile:
Reply 3
JakeM
Thanks Subcutaneous.

Anyone who is interested in becoming a Health Care Assistant or anything is free to read my blog!
http://journalofahca.blogspot.com I am only just starting off now and my training starts 25th of January so that is when all the action will be posted. :smile:

I will be following your blog thanks for that.
I've just phoned up for an application pack for Pennine Acute Hospital's for a HCA job on maternity department.
Was you asked any questions in your interview or did they just give you the job from looking at your file?
Reply 4
First off when you get an application pack, copy everything from the person specification onto a sheet with enough room to write underneath it. You then write how you meet each of the requirements. For example two requirements may be:
Able to complete NVQ Level 2
I passed my GCSE's.

Able to communicate well with others
Im a good team worker and have gained communication skills through leading teams in school activities.

Understand that bit? Its really important thats what got me the interview!

Then on the interview I was asked to name most of the duties of a HCA, I was given 3 scenarios one of which was:
You notice a Dr running into a patient who needs help but he is not wearing gloves or a apron and it is vital he does. What do you do?
At first I was thinking, well I would tell him. But then I thought im in no authority to tell a Dr what to do. So I hesitated and I said: I wouldnt dream of telling a Dr what to do. And she giggled and then said well if it was really important. So I said well I would get the gloves and apron and pass it to the Dr so he can quickly put them on. That was correct!

So its just general scenarios and a few questions.

Also for more information about the recruitment process check my first blog post. :smile:

If you have any more questions let me know through here or PM or my email is on the blog I think. Im happy to help :smile:.

There will also be a quick little blog post today about equipment I have to buy. YOU heard it first :P!
JakeM
First off when you get an application pack, copy everything from the person specification onto a sheet with enough room to write underneath it. You then write how you meet each of the requirements. For example two requirements may be:
Able to complete NVQ Level 2
I passed my GCSE's.

Able to communicate well with others
Im a good team worker and have gained communication skills through leading teams in school activities.

Understand that bit? Its really important thats what got me the interview!

Then on the interview I was asked to name most of the duties of a HCA, I was given 3 scenarios one of which was:
You notice a Dr running into a patient who needs help but he is not wearing gloves or a apron and it is vital he does. What do you do?
At first I was thinking, well I would tell him. But then I thought im in no authority to tell a Dr what to do. So I hesitated and I said: I wouldnt dream of telling a Dr what to do. And she giggled and then said well if it was really important. So I said well I would get the gloves and apron and pass it to the Dr so he can quickly put them on. That was correct!

So its just general scenarios and a few questions.

Also for more information about the recruitment process check my first blog post. :smile:

If you have any more questions let me know through here or PM or my email is on the blog I think. Im happy to help :smile:.

There will also be a quick little blog post today about equipment I have to buy. YOU heard it first :P!

This is really helpful actually thanks :biggrin: I'm going to be applying and that soon so thanks for the help :smile:
Reply 6
hi i have an interview on friday for a hca at a big hospital in the maternity unit, this means a lot to me a perfect, ideal job. But i am am very very nervous so i hope i dont blow it.
vball14
hi i have an interview on friday for a hca at a big hospital in the maternity unit, this means a lot to me a perfect, ideal job. But i am am very very nervous so i hope i dont blow it.

Good Luck :biggrin:
Reply 8
vball14

I am here for any tips, did you check out my blog?

Big hospitals are easier to get in too, so don't worry to much!

PM me if its private questions or use this topic for it!
JakeM
I am here for any tips, did you check out my blog?

Big hospitals are easier to get in too, so don't worry to much!

PM me if its private questions or use this topic for it!

an I just stress interview questions, techniques and indeed scenarios/tests they may offer do vary greatly from trust to trust, so your experience could be very different to someone else. I was a maternity HCA for a few months, and they ask a lot of different questions as the role is different due to what you can/can't do and rotations the maternity service work in
Reply 10
my main prob is what sort of questions to ask them, i dont want to sound stupid as when ever they ask if i want to know any thing i go blank.
Reply 11
vball14
my main prob is what sort of questions to ask them, i dont want to sound stupid as when ever they ask if i want to know any thing i go blank.

I wasn't asked if I had any questions. When your Matron (or ward sister/manager in alot of hospitals if Matrons arn't there) phones you to offer you a job on their ward they will be available for questions.
Reply 12
hi thanks for advice. ive now been informed that i will have to undertake a few tasks, 1 add up a fluid chart 2 do a literacy assessment, 3 patient confidentiality scenario
Reply 13
hey guys

i have an interview next week..as a health care assisant..bit worried about what sort of stuff they will ask??..does the whole process take 4 hours??..on my email they said it takes 4hours having some test maths english etc..what sort of stuff would i need to know??..

thanks x
Reply 14
amrita31
hey guys

i have an interview next week..as a health care assisant..bit worried about what sort of stuff they will ask??..does the whole process take 4 hours??..on my email they said it takes 4hours having some test maths english etc..what sort of stuff would i need to know??..

thanks x

Hey Amrita31 best of luck with your interview,

I can only talk on my past experience with the interview, (check out my outdated blog, havent had time to update it much :P www.journalofahca.blogspot.com).

That should answer most of your questions about what sort of stuff they will ask and what you should know.

The whole process may well take upto 4 hours, but it will be broken down. We had an English and Maths exam on one day only, took roughly 2 hours. Then invited back to interview if succesful and on the day of interview you speak to HR and Occupational Health, which takes roughly 2 hours. So that is your 4 hours!

Best of luck.
Original post by JakeM
Thanks Subcutaneous.

Hey, I just read your blog its really helpful, thanks!

I have an assessment day next week and I'm sooo nervous because I really want the job. Theres a presentation, assessment procedure, numeracy and literature testing and then practical assessment! I have no idea how to prepare! Did your assessment day have all these parts? Or maybe because its for a really big popular hospital in London (UCH)? Please help!! Do I have to know about obs, fluid charts, blood pressure and that stuff?
Reply 16
Original post by jennaz77

I have an assessment day next week and I'm sooo nervous because I really want the job. Theres a presentation, assessment procedure, numeracy and literature testing and then practical assessment! I have no idea how to prepare! Did your assessment day have all these parts? Or maybe because its for a really big popular hospital in London (UCH)? Please help!! Do I have to know about obs, fluid charts, blood pressure and that stuff?

You will not be expected to know everything about obs,fluid charts etc, but its worth getting a basic understanding.

Just go with the flow, if your good enough they will take you.
Hiya,

I was just wondering if you could help me please.

I've got an interview for HCA Next week and just preping myself for the interview.

I work for the NHS already but doing Administration so I have an insite to this.

I've prepared a few questions to ask about the role / team etc and feel confident with ending my interview ''I'm very interested in the post when will I hear back by?''

but i've been reading a few questions what I will be asked at the interview. Here are a few I am struggling on.

''How would you deal with death''
Now i know i can manage it ok but its putting it into words I need help with.

''what would you do if manager ask you to wash patient and nurse would ask you to bring other patient from the other ward?''

If anybody can help me that would be great

Thanks
Carly x
Original post by brennancarly
Hiya,

I was just wondering if you could help me please.

I've got an interview for HCA Next week and just preping myself for the interview.

I work for the NHS already but doing Administration so I have an insite to this.

I've prepared a few questions to ask about the role / team etc and feel confident with ending my interview ''I'm very interested in the post when will I hear back by?''

but i've been reading a few questions what I will be asked at the interview. Here are a few I am struggling on.

''How would you deal with death''
Now i know i can manage it ok but its putting it into words I need help with.

''what would you do if manager ask you to wash patient and nurse would ask you to bring other patient from the other ward?''

If anybody can help me that would be great

Thanks
Carly x

1. Well firstly, it's OK to say you're unsure how you will yet..if you've not experienced death in a caring and clinical setting you simply don't KNOW how you feel. Just say you recognise it will be a new challenge and one you will feel confident asking questions on, and knowing your own limits of what you can do. Mention about how after death you still should care for the patient with dignity and privacy.

2. Well, I'd actually ask if the nurse is free to help me wash the patient to help time, or ask another colleague- then you'd go and collect the patient from the ward. Or- the other way around, however really washing someone is a lot more important than collection, as a good wash can take up to around 10-15mins depending on the patients independance really.

OR you can say, i'll asess the patients independance if they're able to do some things for themselves, eg wash themselves but not the back, you'd provide them with a towel, bowl of water and soap- go collect the patient, and come back to finish off.

OR check whether or not the patient needs a registered nurse on transfer or whether a porter has been booked? As this can take time and effect your decision.
Original post by jennaz77

As a HCA its not on your responsibility or accountability to know what to do with obs, fluids etc- but simply how to do them, score them and acknowledging what needs reporting to a registered nurse. All of which give you on the job training- and if you don't ASK! As it can be very dangerous..seen and heard of many HCA's not have adequate training on this, do observations and assume a result is normal and we get a crash call 6hrs later, when it could have been prevented much sooner! Thank god for EWS!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending