The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ivanka
Rejection for Combined Honours in Arts... Doesn't hurt so much because it was my fourth choice out of four, but regarding the fact I have got two rejections and only an offer so far, it is not very positive.

Sorry about your rejection :frown:

Had your application been passed to a college or was it still with the department? Just I'm a bit confused as in your spoiler it says it was between a department and a college and I thought once it had been passed to a college you were guaranteed an offer.

I'm sure you'll be happy wherever you go!:smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 3541
hey just wondering how many people got their first choice college? Coz i know a couple of people who got allocated a college that wasnt their first choice but really close to their subject department..so just wondered if they did college allocations like that?
Reply 3542
Original post by mlsdbk
no sorry :frown: if a name of a college appears in a link above the word 'colleges' then they have accepted you 99%.. best to wait to see if your application is sent to a college on AES or even better to wait for an offer on ucas.. good luck i hope you get ot

I found out about my college offer by getting a letter from the st aidans in the post. That's when it's 100% that you have an offer i reckon.
Reply 3543
Original post by Gg08
No :frown:
I've applied for French and Spanish and am still waiting to hear anything. The waiting is getting worse by the day- especially as Durham is my first choice!!

Dito waiting on German, first choice- unbearable now!
Reply 3544
The status of my application has moved to 'received by college'. When should one anticipate the confirmation of a college being allocated to oneself to be received by.
Reply 3545
Original post by e.lau16
hey just wondering how many people got their first choice college? Coz i know a couple of people who got allocated a college that wasnt their first choice but really close to their subject department..so just wondered if they did college allocations like that?

I chose the college nearest my department (Hatfield and History), and although being told on the open day that they'd try to reallocate you to a college near you original one, I was put in Grey, which is on the hill. Then again, nothing's exactly far away in Durham so not too bothered, but I don't think it works that way :frown:
Original post by jroy9
I've got exactly the same issue. Nat Sci at Durham or UCL. Got no idea which way to go, its so annoying.

UCL seems awesome being the capital city and huge :smile:etc, and the degree is probably thought of as better (I think)?

But Durham has a College system which is mean and a huge plus:smile:, it has more sport opportunities, and the degree looks more exciting and variable:smile: than UCLs, however it is much smaller than London. :frown:

Argh, which one??:confused:

For those of us who hate big cities, this choice is easy. Think of the travelling you won't have to do.
Reply 3547
Do you think it'd be ok if I asked about the progression of my application?
Original post by neocon
The status of my application has moved to 'received by college'. When should one anticipate the confirmation of a college being allocated to oneself to be received by.

Why are you talking about yourself in third person?
Reply 3549
Original post by aef27
Offer for history v100 :smile:

congratulations!!!

when did you actually get your offer?

im waiting on v100 but not heard anything yet

did you pick a college or open application??

cheers
Reply 3550
Original post by Gg08
No :frown:
I've applied for French and Spanish and am still waiting to hear anything. The waiting is getting worse by the day- especially as Durham is my first choice!!

Same here! I'm just doing Spanish, but the wait is killing me now. I haven't heard of any MFL replies yet.
Reply 3551
Original post by Olivia1234
Why are you talking about yourself in third person?

I don't suppose you could provide an answer to the initial question?
Original post by neocon
I don't suppose you could provide an answer to the initial question?

Well, there is no definitive answer to your question. Some people would tell you it took 2 days for them, others 3 weeks... There's no equation.
Reply 3553
Got my letter from Van Mildert yesterday. :yy:

Anyone else going to one of their open days, and if so, which one?
Original post by e.lau16

From what i understood from when i asked a rep when i visited - When a department receives you application, it will assign you a 2nd choice college (or 1st and 2nd if you made an open one). It is quite possible that some of the departments make the choice of a 2nd college based on their location.

However, all colleges must have a cross-curricular balance so you dont end up with 100 arts students at, say, St Chads where they only accet 150 undergrads a year.:smile:
Reply 3555
Original post by Damamat
congratulations!!!

when did you actually get your offer?

im waiting on v100 but not heard anything yet

did you pick a college or open application??

cheers

Thanks! The offer came through yesterday, and it was sent to college just over a week ago. I applied to Hatfield, but I doubt I'll get it as I know it's a popular one!
Good luck with your application :smile:
Just been rejected for history, not really a surprise as I know how they hate re-applicants (Actually got accepted last year, but got A*A*Ba and missed the offer).

What did surprise me though was "Regrettably, we have not been able to make you an offer, and will be contacting you shortly to provide further information regarding our decision."

Seems a bit odd, no?
Reply 3557
Original post by Gooner19
Reli! Well done, I am still waiting to hear from Durham. When did you send your application off and what grades (GCSE and A Levels) do you have/predicted? Cheers.

Thanks :smile: I sent mine off on 12th October. Grade-wise I got eleven A*s and an A at gcse and am predicted 2A*s and 2As for Alevel
Good luck with your's, are you applying for history too?
Reply 3558
Original post by MountainSpring
Just been rejected for history, not really a surprise as I know how they hate re-applicants (Actually got accepted last year, but got A*A*Ba and missed the offer).

What did surprise me though was "Regrettably, we have not been able to make you an offer, and will be contacting you shortly to provide further information regarding our decision."

Seems a bit odd, no?

Just got rejected for V100 History as well. Oh well.
Reply 3559
Original post by Got the tshirt
Had your application been passed to a college or was it still with the department? Just I'm a bit confused as in your spoiler it says it was between a department and a college and I thought once it had been passed to a college you were guaranteed an offer.

I thought this was true also, but over the past few months, I've seen several people get rejections after their applications were passed on to a college.

Latest