The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3560
Got rejected from Durham earlier, was very suprised tbh. I got some of the best marks my school has ever had, especially in Physics, the best in the last 4 years, really wasn't expecting a rejection. I guess my PS wasn't upto scratch, really dissapointed.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 3561
Original post by MountainSpring
What did surprise me though was "Regrettably, we have not been able to make you an offer, and will be contacting you shortly to provide further information regarding our decision."

Seems a bit odd, no?

They've probably been getting a lot of angry emails to the effect of, "I DEMAND an explanation!" I was promised the same "further information" by Oxford, but I haven't heard anything yet. I'm actually kinda looking forward to seeing why they hate me. :wink:
Reply 3562
F301 Physics (MPhys) for 2011 entry: form received 15 October 2010

Your application has been received by the Department
Your application has not yet been received by a College

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE
Reply 3563
Original post by Got the tshirt
Sorry about your rejection :frown:

Had your application been passed to a college or was it still with the department? Just I'm a bit confused as in your spoiler it says it was between a department and a college and I thought once it had been passed to a college you were guaranteed an offer.

I'm sure you'll be happy wherever you go!:smile:

My AES said "Your application has been received by the department. Your application has not yet been received by a college."

Thanks for the support :smile:
Original post by Misiak
F301 Physics (MPhys) for 2011 entry: form received 15 October 2010

Your application has been received by the Department
Your application has not yet been received by a College

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE

Exactly the same here, i don't know wether to be worried or glad? i just hate waiting soo long, anyway, hope you get an offer :smile:
Original post by Alphalpha
Exactly the same here, i don't know wether to be worried or glad? i just hate waiting soo long, anyway, hope you get an offer :smile:

And same...
Well there are quite a few of us! :tongue:
Gettng tiresome now... 'no news is good news' is wearing a bit thin :rolleyes:
Original post by MountainSpring
Just been rejected for history, not really a surprise as I know how they hate re-applicants (Actually got accepted last year, but got A*A*Ba and missed the offer).

What did surprise me though was "Regrettably, we have not been able to make you an offer, and will be contacting you shortly to provide further information regarding our decision."

Seems a bit odd, no?

Likewise - just rejected (I would prefer the term 'unsuccessful', but it's apparently not that popular) for v100 History which I was fully expecting... but it's still frustrating, mostly because I know that what I wrote on my personal statement was completely true and I think I would have done really well there - and the fact that I didn't get an A* at A-level was, at the end of the day, my fault. What can you do! Good luck to those remaining, and if you get an offer - you're very privileged!

That does seem quite odd, though (in reply to MountainSpring) - I am also post- A-levels and my AES has not been updated, so I suppose that possibly you were borderline? Who knows...
Reply 3567
I've just realised I've lost my booking form for the post-app open day :frown: (specifically for History at Grey) Anyone else in the same position or know where I can download one? Been searching but no luck.. Any help much appreciated :smile:
Original post by pianofluteftw
And same...
Well there are quite a few of us! :tongue:
Gettng tiresome now... 'no news is good news' is wearing a bit thin :rolleyes:

Hahaha, you've been getting that aswell, i hate that saying so much. I'm just worried about my personal statement, i'm pretty sure i could of made it better but anyhoo. Good luck with getting an offer :smile: .
OK I'm not gonna check my AES for a week now and check it next Wednesday to see if there is a surprise waiting! :biggrin:
Original post by e.lau16
hey just wondering how many people got their first choice college? Coz i know a couple of people who got allocated a college that wasnt their first choice but really close to their subject department..so just wondered if they did college allocations like that?

I got my first choice college :smile:
I don't really think there's a formulaic way of being allocated to a college. I think its more a function of how many spaces for your subject they have in your first choice college and finding an alternative if they've filled up their quota.
I have no idea if they do, but might they look at the extra curricular activities in your ps to maybe help reallocate you? I wouldn't really know how that'd work though as you can't really choose between a sporty person, a music person and a drama person.. Yea, I'm really not sure.
Are you still waiting to hear about your college or have you been reallocated?
Anyone else still waiting for a reply about Combined Honours Social Science? :s-smilie:
Original post by Gooner19

Original post by Gooner19
Just got rejected for V100 History as well. Oh well.

I got rejected for v100 history last thursday. I was really disappointed because both my parents went, my mum did history! What are your other choices?
Original post by Ultimate1
OK I'm not gonna check my AES for a week now and check it next Wednesday to see if there is a surprise waiting! :biggrin:

lol... thats my plan as well!... I've officially banned myself!:biggrin:

Easiar said than done though! just trying to distract myself by worrying about all the school work I haven't done:s-smilie: its not really working though!:biggrin:
Original post by nuttynatz
lol... thats my plan as well!... I've officially banned myself!:biggrin:

Easiar said than done though! just trying to distract myself by worrying about all the school work I haven't done:s-smilie: its not really working though!:biggrin:

Yeah, I don't think I'm gonna be able to last a few hours, let alone 7 days. If by 7 days nothing's been changed then the suspense would have all gone to waste. :frown:
Original post by Ultimate1
Yeah, I don't think I'm gonna be able to last a few hours, let alone 7 days. If by 7 days nothing's been changed then the suspense would have all gone to waste. :frown:

lol.. I relented a couple of hours ago, and know change :angry: so I'm forcing myself to wait until atleast monday night.. and if still no change... I'll be extremely dejected:biggrin: what can you do?.. but I know what you mean about the suspense.. got a stupid survey thing from UCAS today and was convinced it was a notification email... almost gave me a heart attack:biggrin:

I kinda just wish AES would just change the wording... just to show my application isn't collecting dust!..:s-smilie: still trying to keep positive thoughts:crossedf:
Reply 3576
Any fellow Biologists or St.John's collegers? I've firmed Durham; actually so excited! :smile: Good luck to everyone still waiting for a reply, I think I was pretty lucky because after applying in october, they got back to me early november time.
Anyone going to the open day 22/23rd march? :smile:
Reply 3577
Original post by Cameronn
Any fellow Biologists or St.John's collegers? I've firmed Durham; actually so excited! :smile: Good luck to everyone still waiting for a reply, I think I was pretty lucky because after applying in october, they got back to me early november time.

Fellow Johnian here, for law. I'm going up for 21/22nd. Looking forward to it!
Reply 3578
Original post by PiazzaNewYorkCatcher13
Anyone else still waiting for a reply about Combined Honours Social Science? :s-smilie:

Mine is still with the department, has been for 16 weeks now >_<
Reply 3579
Original post by Cameronn

Chemist at St. John's here. I'm waiting on one more decision before I firm Durham. (I guess I could withdraw my application to the last university to respond, but I'm curious.) I live in the US, so I won't be coming for the open day in march, although I am hoping to visit in the last spring some time :biggrin:.

Ditto on the feeling lucky, and good luck to everyone.

Latest