The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Uni of Nottingham vs. Nottingham Trent

I'm in my last year of A Levels and have just had my offers back from Nottingham and Nottingham Trent to do Law (both conditional). I'm staying in Nottingham as I already live here and don't want to live too far from my single mum for those who question why I have applied to those two.

I'm sure that most of you will say 'Uni of Nottingham,' for the obvious reason that it has a better reputation but I am looking for guidance in the way that league tables can't tell me.

To answer this please bare in mind that:
1. I Prefer the course at Trent, it allows me to do the LPC (legal practice course - training that you have to do before you can become a solicitor) as part of my degree (which Nottingham doesn't) and it also has a work placement lasting nearly a year which you are paid for. This makes it not only better in terms for preparing for my career, but also cheaper.

2. Only very few of my friends are going to university. Throughout all of my education, my friends have always been not as clever as me (no nicer way to put it) which worries me as I think that Nottingham may be full of the sorts of people I have previously chosen not to hang around with. I have always done well in exams but I have never been drawn to the whole Duke of Edinburgh/Jack Wills lifestyle and to be quite honest would rather get pissed and smoke. I am worried that this means I would fit in much better at Trent than at Nottingham.

3. I don't need to be told that I would make friends at Nottingham, I know that I would but my point is it would be easier to make friends at Trent (for me anyway, I imagine). This is based on me living here and therefore seeing both sets of students.

4. Obviously, in my mind I would have a better time at Trent, enjoy the course more, have better accommodation (have seen them both) and be around similar people which would mean that I would be less likely to either have a crap time or drop out. So therefore what I am asking is that would this be a stupid decision? How much difference would it make for future employability in particular? I have only had 50% attendance at college so I am used to putting extra work in on my own so please don't go on about which would be better for teaching etc. I am basically asking how much reputation of uni matters to employability if all other factors (work experience, grades etc.) were the same.

Also bare in mind that my previous grades have been mostly As and A*s at GCSE, with one B and that I am on target to achieve AAAA/AAAB at A level. This, in my mind, should set me apart from other Trent students in terms of getting a job (don't want to seem snobby just pointing it out).

Any advice is appreciated :smile: Peoples experiences of the people at both unis and employability after attending either of them would also be a great advantage. Thaaaanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
As far as Law goes, the reputation of the university is very important in helping you get a job in the future, so I would choose Nottingham.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
If your going to have a better time at trent, and especially the LPC & placement things are brilliant.
Your call, do what you think is right.
Reply 3
1 - If you prefer the course at NTU, you'd be mad to choose a course that you didn't want to do so much at the Uni of Nottingham. Would you forever be regretting your choice if you went to Uni of Nottingham just because of its rep?

2 - Can guarantee your social experience will be quite similar, certainly not as different as you're thinking.

3 - Perhaps take my previous statement back. If you personally know you're going to have a better time at NTU in social terms, that's a bit of a no brainer surely?

4 - You'd be surprised the kind of students NTU attracts. Yeah, there are people there who got CCC at A level, but I have a friend who got AAB (I think? Certainly similar to that) and he chose to go to NTU over The Uni of Nottingham because of the course. From what he says, he isn't alone either - apparently there are also a lot of people who narrowly missed out on their offer to The Uni of Nottingham that study at NTU as it was their insurance. Obviously though, this information is through a friend and I wouldn't quote me on it!

Basically, try and take reputation out of the equation for a minute. Think about your options, and if the only thing making you want to go to the Uni of Nottingham is the rep then you've answered your own question. Not to take over your thread, but I'm in a similar position - I could go to an ABB uni, but the course I think I'll prefer is asking me for waaaay lower than that. At the end of the day you want to be motivated and happy, going to a university solely because of its reputation doesn't guarantee that.

Good luck, hope I helped a tiny bit :smile:
Reply 4
go to nottingham mate, it's hard enough to get a training contract or pupillage as it is! Going to a low ranked uni instead of a good one is a silly decision mate!
Go where the force guides you.
Original post by Wookie42
Would you forever be regretting your choice if you went to Uni of Nottingham just because of its rep?

Not if OP ever wants a job.

OP, Nottingham will open doors. Trent will close them.
The course at Trent may allow you to take the LPC as part of it, but it will make it very difficult comparatively to actually become a solicitor. Then considering the obvious differences in teaching quality, depth of learning etc... Nottingham is far better research wise, and so attracts better academics; obviously, also, Nottingham doesn't have to tailor it's course to BCC students...

Don't be a fool. Firm Nottingham.
Reply 7
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Not if OP ever wants a job.

OP, Nottingham will open doors. Trent will close them.
The course at Trent may allow you to take the LPC as part of it, but it will make it very difficult comparatively to actually become a solicitor. Then considering the obvious differences in teaching quality, depth of learning etc... Nottingham is far better research wise, and so attracts better academics; obviously, also, Nottingham doesn't have to tailor it's course to BCC students...

Don't be a fool. Firm Nottingham.

I understand, but if the OP seriously thinks he'll end up dropping out completely if he went to Nottingham, what would be the point? Honestly though, I do take your point.
Could you afford to pay for the LPC if you had to pay for it yourself if you went to Nottingham? If you couldn't afford it would you be willing to take out a career development loan from a bank knowing this would have to be paid off, even if you don't get a training contract?

Fewer than half of trainees have their LPCs paid for by employers. This is distorted on TSR because all of the large City firms do so.

If you can't afford/ are not prepared to gamble and borrow, then going to Nottingham means you are saying that you will try for a training contract in your third year but if you don't secure one that pays for your LPC you will look for another career.

For most of the posters on here who go on about prestige, financing their studies is not an issue. If it is for you, Trent will give you (a) an LPC and (b) a placement with more work experience than all Vac schemes put together. Go to Trent.

If funding is not an issue, Nottingham is the better university.

Nevertheless, particularly in the Midlands, Trent is well regarded.
Reply 9
Unfortunately, Law is very reputation based.

So even if you like the course at Trent, Nottingham would make you really contend well for Pupillages and the such (which are amazingly competitive as it is).

You're going to have to put up with Nottingham if you ever want a chance at becoming a solicitor :frown:
Reply 10
If i had a second chance i would have personally gone to Trent.:s-smilie:
Original post by Vijay2010

You're going to have to put up with Nottingham if you ever want a chance at becoming a solicitor :frown:

I will explain to my partners, staff and trainees who attended Trent that they don't in fact exist. :biggrin:
Original post by nulli tertius
I will explain to my partners, staff and trainees who attended Trent that they don't in fact exist. :biggrin:

Fair enough lol......I think my source (Law teacher) was vastly incorrect then, which I should've expected seeing as we still have to call him "Mr." even though we're in college -.-
Original post by Vijay2010
Fair enough lol......I think my source (Law teacher) was vastly incorrect then, which I should've expected seeing as we still have to call him "Mr." even though we're in college -.-

I very rarely called any of my tutors by their first name... changed at Masters' level...

in answer to the original question - be careful on your preconceptions of students. I did the same thing and found that the lot at King's were a boring bunch. until i sought out some more interesting sorts.

there are thousands of students at a uni - they are not all going to be toffs. promise. notts is in the top five law depts in the country (based on 2008 RAE) - if you want to be a bigshot lawyer, then you need to pick a big shot uni. if you just want to be a solicitor, in a small firm, possibly not so important.
(edited 13 years ago)
I don't understand why people say UoN has a worse night life than Trent. We all live in the same damned city! Trent may be more central, but it is hardly a long trek or an expensive taxi to get from Uni Park or Lenton to town.
Reply 15
you 'COULD' be unhappy for 3 years, but you 'WILL' be unhappy for your whole life.

Make a wise decision my friend. YOU don't wanna go to Trent.
Reply 16
nottingham law school where you will do your lpc is one of the best law schools in the country.

the degree level llb course at trent is also centred in nottingham law school, same lecturers etc. SO even though trent in general is not such a good uni, the law school in which you will study for your degree is one of the best in the country.
Reply 17
Sound like you already made up your mind OP.
Go to Trent if you are sure that it will make you happy and also if it doesn't bother you that people might take the piss.
Also think about how it might affect your employability.

Make pro and con list!

You can't be certain that nights out for UoN students are going to be boring...they are in the same city and the first year students changes every year :tongue:
Original post by nottsmay
I'm in my last year of A Levels and have just had my offers back from Nottingham and Nottingham Trent to do Law (both conditional). I'm staying in Nottingham as I already live here and don't want to live too far from my single mum for those who question why I have applied to those two.

I'm sure that most of you will say 'Uni of Nottingham,' for the obvious reason that it has a better reputation but I am looking for guidance in the way that league tables can't tell me.

1. I Prefer the course at Trent, it allows me to do the LPC (legal practice course - training that you have to do before you can become a solicitor) as part of my degree (which Nottingham doesn't) and it also has a work placement lasting nearly a year which you are paid for. This makes it not only better in terms for preparing for my career, but also cheaper.

The links that Nottingham has with Magic and Silver Circle firms mean that if you put the work in during your time at uni and manage to secure yourself a training contract before you graduate they will sponsor you for the LPC regardless.

2. Only very few of my friends are going to university. Throughout all of my education, my friends have always been not as clever as me (no nicer way to put it) which worries me as I think that Nottingham may be full of the sorts of people I have previously chosen not to hang around with. I have always done well in exams but I have never been drawn to the whole Duke of Edinburgh/Jack Wills lifestyle and to be quite honest would rather get pissed and smoke. I am worried that this means I would fit in much better at Trent than at Nottingham.

3. I don't need to be told that I would make friends at Nottingham, I know that I would but my point is it would be easier to make friends at Trent (for me anyway, I imagine). This is based on me living here and therefore seeing both sets of students.
This is a very trivial worry. Firstly, because if you live on self-catered halls like I do you won't find it difficult to avoid Jack Wills-type people. Besides, although the "middleclassness" of the uni took me by surprise but some of them are actually decent people
4. Obviously, in my mind I would have a better time at Trent, enjoy the course more, have better accommodation (have seen them both) and be around similar people which would mean that I would be less likely to either have a crap time or drop out. So therefore what I am asking is that would this be a stupid decision? How much difference would it make for future employability in particular? I have only had 50% attendance at college so I am used to putting extra work in on my own so please don't go on about which would be better for teaching etc. I am basically asking how much reputation of uni matters to employability if all other factors (work experience, grades etc.) were the same.

Also bare in mind that my previous grades have been mostly As and A*s at GCSE, with one B and that I am on target to achieve AAAA/AAAB at A level. This, in my mind, should set me apart from other Trent students in terms of getting a job (don't want to seem snobby just pointing it out).

Regardless of teaching, a trent law degree would not challenge you academically and intellectually as much as a Nottingham one, because at the end of the day Trent's law degree is one catered towards B/C students.

Any advice is appreciated :smile: Peoples experiences of the people at both unis and employability after attending either of them would also be a great advantage. Thaaaanks :smile:

I would pick Nottingham. Firstly, because it is a fantastic university and no matter what your fears you will most probably enjoy yourself if you go there with the right mindset. Secondly, the LPC and not fitting in thing can be overcome at Nottingham. The lower reputation of Trent is something that cannot
Reply 19
Original post by nottsmay

Reputation wise: CLEARLY University of Nottingham.

Everything else has to be judged by the individual. Just read around on TSR articles:

Nottingham

Nottingham Trent

Read them all through and you should be able to find the difference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending