The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by d123
I think it's most relevant at the moment in issues like women bishops - appeasing the Forward in Faith lot can go to far, and there's a point where I think it would be better to put the proposals in place to have women bishops on equal terms with male bishops, and just let the people who don't like it go over to Rome, if they can't stick it. I know this is going off on a tangent slightly, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that tolerance and unity are great virtues, but not at the cost of failing to stand up to bigotry?

Completely agree! :five: I can see some of the scriptural support however I think that such a unequal stance is not in keeping with our message or the modern faith :smile:
Original post by yawn
I didn't mention anything about salvation, I'm saying that it's part of the identification of being a Christian since it marks us out as belonging to Christ. :smile:

Yes I agree that it's an outward sign of devotion, I just don't agree that baptism makes you a Christian.

Original post by Facticity
OT characters did get saved, certain ones obviously more than others, however I think what dreiviergrenadier meant was simply that there is a stark difference between having a title of being a "Christian" (even if you are a model one) and being a person of faith in God and longing to serve. People of the OT had no "Christian" title or even knowledge of Christ - which as the fundamental core of Christianity, is important - but they were still saved (some!).

So I also would agree with a few others here, there is a difference between "Christianity", "faith" and "belief".

Maybe that's a better way of putting it *gives cookie*
Original post by Lantana

Maybe that's a better way of putting it *gives cookie*

:smile: Well thank you :cookie:
(edited 13 years ago)
Does anyone else keep their religious beliefs majorly on the low because they don't want to be mocked and insulted by fellow students?
Original post by Lantana
It's an interesting question that, which I asked myself a few years back and didn't get a straight forward answer -as is usual with many of these questions! think they believed God would save them, they just didn't know how (obviously). And because Jesus is God, albeit God the son -oh dear this is getting into the trinity :frown: ....

:biggrin: I don't mean to suggest it's an easy question, but if OT characters attain salvation, yet aren't christians, then there's a separation between the questions 'what is necessary to be a christian?' and 'what's necessary for salvation?'

Calumcalum
Pourquoi?

I'm trying to be more ecumenical. Most of Christians i know well are fairly similar in their views to me. And given that we're almost always separated by denomination, it seems as though i've never learn properly be in communion with theologically different Christians unless something different happens. So i'm starting with people who are more liberal, because conservatives scare me...
Original post by forsaken_earth
Does anyone else keep their religious beliefs majorly on the low because they don't want to be mocked and insulted by fellow students?

when I was still unsure about things I used to be quite quiet about it. Now I make more of an effort to talk about it because it's an opportunity to share my faith.

I understand what it's like to be mocked and insulted, but remember that at times like those you do have God's strength to fall back on, and you'll be suprised how you grow if you step out in faith with something as small as sharing your faith.

at the same time, when you strongly believe something, you kinda have to get used to people ****ting on you and being insulting (even if they don't mean to be)

I find it insulting when people declare there is no God like it is fact, because I think that's insulting to my inteligence. I'm not stupid and I did think about it ALOT before concluding God exists. (sorry that was a bit of a ramble)

Anyway. Hugs please thread?

Sorry I haven't posted for a few days....
Original post by d123
Ooh, I think I might have heard him speak before. Or it could have been someone else with a similar name. if it's the guy I'm thinking of, he was very very good. It was at Greenbelt a couple of years back.

you're a greenbelter?

I've been to the last 6ish :h:

I don't! My friends know I'm Christian, and they know I'm no sex before marriage, and to be honest, it makes me giggle when they call me the Virgin Mary because I know it's just banter to them and each of them has individual said they actually really respect my choices :smile:

I definitely did in primary school, but I went to a C of E high school so was pretty open about it there (my primary school was C of E too but meh, Christians weren't popular). Nowadays it tends to be the other way round - people at uni know I read incessantly about Theology so don't really try to argue :tongue:
Reply 2989
Original post by Lantana
Yes I agree that it's an outward sign of devotion, I just don't agree that baptism makes you a Christian.

It's OK to differ in our views...although Christ does want us to be united. And I'm aware that lots of Christian denominations disagree on their teachings of Baptism.

Do you agree that Baptism makes one a member of the Christian Church? And do you see a difference between a member and someone who professes to be a Christian without that sacramental membership?

I'm interested in your theological views. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)

I have done in the past, when I was much less sure about everything, when I claimed to be "Christian" but wasn't walking with the Lord, wasn't praying, wasn't reading the bible.

That's one of the things that God keeps reminding me of - His opinion of me is so much more valuable than the opinions of other people - they can laugh and scorn all they want, but it won't matter. Obv. it's so much easier to simply say that than to put it into practice though.

Though it did annoy many of the kids at my high school that I was a believer - I was also by far the smartest person there and the most scientific. A lot of Dawkin's disciples in that school were just really jealous and it was LOL.

That's one of the things I'm worried about going to uni next year though.
Why do you many of you chose to follow 'modern faith' over the scripture?

It's logical hypocrisy.
Original post by Antagonist_Love
Why do you many of you chose to follow 'modern faith' over the scripture?

It's logical hypocrisy.

What do you mean by that? What's 'modern faith'?

If i'm in an unfamiliar environment, i think most people try to avoid conflict, which often involves not disagreeing on controversial topics like religion. It's definitely not something to beat yourself up about. It's better to focus on where you are, and where you're going than on being seen as a christian.
Original post by dreiviergrenadier
What do you mean by that? What's 'modern faith'?

Modern Liberal positions contradictory to scripture.
Original post by Antagonist_Love
Modern Liberal positions contradictory to scripture.

Like what?

Me, not as much as I used to, though.
In my group of friends two of us are religious and we tend to talk to each other about our feelings about God, religion, the world in general etc, sometimes when other people are present and sometimes not..

When I was in high school, I hid my religion, and I'm ashamed of that. In sixth form I began to come out of my shell and joined P.U.S.H (pray until something happens) group; and now that I'm in uni I like to think that I'm a good Christian and use my religion to help others when I can (though not forcing it down their throats, I know nobody appreciates that..)
Original post by dreiviergrenadier
Like what?

Women in the Church, homosexuality being accepted, abortion, divorce.

I don't follow them all myself but the Bible and Septuagint explicitly oppose them.
Reply 2998
Original post by JB Johnstone
Yeah. It really is like a huge bubble here. It's so cool to just get up and be surrounded by believers and just be able to talk about God all day, I shall miss it when I go to uni and it's definitely going to be strange, but it will be awesome too.

How are most CU's with like evangelism and stuff? One of the ones at one of the unis in York goes out and feeds homeless people and talks to them.

I don't know about that many CUs, I think most are affiliated with UCCF, the organisation behind CUs, and UCCF is really keen to help students live and speak for Jesus while they're at uni. My old CU in Lancaster University was brilliant, they had a lunchbar every week in normal term time (a free lunch and talk event on different topics, each one clearly telling the Gospel) and also in normal term time a cafe evening event every other Friday for international students. Plus the CU would have a Bible study group based in the different colleges and every month during normal term time the Bible study groups would host a small evangelistic event.

As well as that, they had two concentrated weeks of events, one in Freshers' week and also a Mission week (I think my CU is doing that this week actually). Plus there are a couple of one off events over the year, e.g. Text for a toastie where people text a number asking a question and two Christians go, answer their question and give them a toastie.
Original post by jmj
I don't know about that many CUs, I think most are affiliated with UCCF, the organisation behind CUs, and UCCF is really keen to help students live and speak for Jesus while they're at uni. My old CU in Lancaster University was brilliant, they had a lunchbar every week in normal term time (a free lunch and talk event on different topics, each one clearly telling the Gospel) and also in normal term time a cafe evening event every other Friday for international students. Plus the CU would have a Bible study group based in the different colleges and every month during normal term time the Bible study groups would host a small evangelistic event.

As well as that, they had two concentrated weeks of events, one in Freshers' week and also a Mission week (I think my CU is doing that this week actually). Plus there are a couple of one off events over the year, e.g. Text for a toastie where people text a number asking a question and two Christians go, answer their question and give them a toastie.

That's cool. I was afraid that everyone would be really unenthusiastic about Christianity, like I have experienced with most people my age. Looked at the CU website for my uni and it looks pretty good, prayer meetings twice a week. Sounds fun.

Latest

Trending

Trending