The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1000
Original post by EffDee
any English litters? Or Newnham go-ers?

I'm an English litter. Slightly jealous of your college being opposite the English lecture site! Easy living for you :tongue:
Reply 1001
Original post by katem32
I'm an English litter. Slightly jealous of your college being opposite the English lecture site! Easy living for you :tongue:

haha Oh yes! Rolling out of bed minutes before lectures- thank you very much! :smile: although no doubt I'll probably get used as a crash pad for nights out when everyone has lectures first thing :tongue:
Hey =D any Historians? or people at King's ?
Original post by PowPowPow

Original post by PowPowPow
Hey =D any Historians? or people at King's ?

King's
Reply 1004
anyone got any ideas whether it's possible to get hold of reading lists yet? and if so, where from?

ANYTHING to distract from the drudgery of A levels...
Original post by EffDee
anyone got any ideas whether it's possible to get hold of reading lists yet? and if so, where from?

ANYTHING to distract from the drudgery of A levels...

My college sent me an email with a link to reading lists from last year. Try scouting around the college website? They can't change much.
Reply 1006
Original post by Schnecke
My college sent me an email with a link to reading lists from last year. Try scouting around the college website? They can't change much.

ah great thanks, did you request a reading list? or did they just send it anyway?
Also, do you happen to know if the reading list for the subject is the same regardless of college?
Original post by EffDee
ah great thanks, did you request a reading list? or did they just send it anyway?
Also, do you happen to know if the reading list for the subject is the same regardless of college?

Sorry to jump in, but it depends where your college starts the course - some colleges start with medieval texts, others with modern ones. Rather than read stuff specifically for your course, which you'll have to do anyway before too long, it's a really good idea to try and read some background texts before you get here. I'd really recommend reading as much of the Bible as you can manage, especially the gospels and Genesis, Ovid's Metamorphoses (the Ted Hughes retelling is quite good, but I prefer the Penguin Classics one), some general crit like David Lodge's 'The Art of Fiction' or maybe the somewhat controversial 'What Good Are The Arts' by John Carey though that's a personal thing, the Aeneid, the Iliad, the Odyssey, things like that. You don't -have- to read these things, but it's really good to give yourself a grounding in classical and biblical texts, just because the more I read, the more I realise how it all comes back to them. I should mention that my DoS sent us a letter about this before we came up, so I'm really just paraphrasing him, rather than dispensing pearls of wisdom :P
Original post by EffDee

They just sent it, with a load of other stuff about student finance etc.
http://www.dow.cam.ac.uk/dow_server/admissions/Offer_Holder_Reading_List.html
It's there if you want to check it out. I have no idea, I'm applying for maths so the reading list was never much of a concern :tongue:
Reply 1009
Original post by Schnecke

Original post by charlottesometimes

Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 1010
Why have I been invited to the Cambridge 2011 applicant group. Is someone trying to rub my FAILURE in my face :P

Just kidding. I'm totally over it. I don't cry my self to sleep over it anymore:ninja:

In case anyone's concerned I am joking here (:

Anyway it made me realise I haven't spoken to any of you guys in a while. How you all doing? Working hard to meet your offers I hope :biggrin:

I have a UCL interview offer but I'm so bad-ass that I'm not going. :cool: (Mainly because I'd rather go to St Andrews and they've said they want me so hopefully I'll be getting in :crossedf:
Original post by Lulope
Why have I been invited to the Cambridge 2011 applicant group. Is someone trying to rub my FAILURE in my face :P

Just kidding. I'm totally over it. I don't cry my self to sleep over it anymore:ninja:

In case anyone's concerned I am joking here (:

Anyway it made me realise I haven't spoken to any of you guys in a while. How you all doing? Working hard to meet your offers I hope :biggrin:

I have a UCL interview offer but I'm so bad-ass that I'm not going. :cool: (Mainly because I'd rather go to St Andrews and they've said they want me so hopefully I'll be getting in :crossedf:

Well what happened is that they closed the main thread which caused quite a bit of controversy yesterday, mainly because it would have been awkward if people who who wanted to still be part of the community were unsuccessful to post on the cambridge offer thread. So the idea of the Cambridge Applicant thread was so that everyone could still be part of it, and you were invited as we really liked you on the thread :biggrin: :hugs:
My post number has dropped down again :rant: :mad:
Original post by cpdavis
Well what happened is that they closed the main thread which caused quite a bit of controversy yesterday, mainly because it would have been awkward if people who who wanted to still be part of the community were unsuccessful to post on the cambridge offer thread. So the idea of the Cambridge Applicant thread was so that everyone could still be part of it, and you were invited as we really liked you on the thread :biggrin: :hugs:

Our thread has been closed down????? :O
Original post by FlobberDobber
Our thread has been closed down????? :O

Yep :cry2: but I think they might move it to a new area (I think the society area)
Reply 1015
Ive been invited to an open day for corpus college after being pooled... is it normal to go with my mum? I usually go to open days and that with friends so im wondering whether it would be like akward if everyone else was just by themselves... Just wondering what to dooo!
Original post by Jacke02
Ive been invited to an open day for corpus college after being pooled... is it normal to go with my mum? I usually go to open days and that with friends so im wondering whether it would be like akward if everyone else was just by themselves... Just wondering what to dooo!

If everyone else is on their own you can always ask her to go round the shops for a couple of hours. Corpus Christi is right in the centre of Cambridge so I don't think she would mind,:smile:
Reply 1017
Original post by Got the tshirt
If everyone else is on their own you can always ask her to go round the shops for a couple of hours. Corpus Christi is right in the centre of Cambridge so I don't think she would mind,:smile:

Oh okay. Well i don't really mind going by myself but i'd feel weird by my self if everyone else was with others... hmmmmm i might just do this :smile:
Reply 1018
I actually went to the corpus open day this year and there were people their with their parents/schools. I actually felt more awkward being on my own. If I were you, I'd take your mother. That being said, the undergraduates were charming and they'll happily show you around and whatnot. Good college choice... :smile:

Original post by Jacke02
Reply 1019
Original post by Lyam
I actually went to the corpus open day this year and there were people their with their parents/schools. I actually felt more awkward being on my own. If I were you, I'd take your mother. That being said, the undergraduates were charming and they'll happily show you around and whatnot. Good college choice... :smile:

Yeh i feel the same when i go to talks by myself on opendays... its for people with an offer at the college so im not sure if it'll be any different. Hmm

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending