The Student Room Group

Portfolio HELP ! UCL ...

Hey guys,

I'm so confused on the standard of my portfolio should be. I'm applying for foundation program in one of the top universities (UCL) and don't know on what should be the standard of the portfolio

They require at least 6 drawings (from life)
And others like, photography, painting ....

Any Idea's ? or examples please.
Or any one is applying for a foundation program for architecture.
Strange question. Just put in the best work you've done!

Post up some of your work and we'll critique it.
Reply 2
Original post by GormlessWonder
Strange question. Just put in the best work you've done!

Post up some of your work and we'll critique it.

Even If i sent them my portfolio, I don't know if it meets the standards; if you get me
I never had a sketch book where my art would be in it, I always draw on paper and throw them. lol

Some on my work
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
No offence, but you're a long way off the standard the Bartlett expects from its applicants - save yourself an application on your form. I would suggest you look at courses that don't require a portfolio. You do know what the Bartlett is like, I take it, in terms of quality of work?
Reply 4
bartlett do an architecture foundation??

i've never heard of this, is it something to do with slade?
Reply 5
Ok, dont hand in that.... get some charcoal, and do a bold drawing, not pencil, you're letting yourself be far too wishy-washy... a portfolio should always be of the highest standard that you can possibly produce. People are not white with only their lips and earring in colour, if you're going to try and use colour look at what you're doing... but i recon avoid it unless you're using a medium in which you can achieve depth....
try using some thick paint too....
just produce loads and loads of bold work... then choose the best....
but look at what you're drawing
Draw some buildings or spaces, you are applying for architecture after all!
Reply 7
Hey everyone!
UCL asked me for an interview in Feb and
requires portfolio and a new PS kind of essay!

Does anyone know how big does the portfolio got to be?
how many pieces?
Original post by Kourtis
Hey everyone!
UCL asked me for an interview in Feb and
requires portfolio and a new PS kind of essay!

Does anyone know how big does the portfolio got to be?
how many pieces?

Hey mate, there's lots of stuff on this forum about this, UCL especially. Spend 40 mins skimming through the threads in this sub-forum or search keywords maybe.

For a physical portfolio 15 finished pieces is a good number, plus 5 other pieces that aren't quite finished, plus a sketchbook of development work which you can drop in and out of in an interview to help you explain anything they seem interested in. I come from a foundation background so this might seem high, but expect people to be showing about this much work, all to a high standard.
Reply 9
Thank you.
Thats what I thought and actually that doesnt sound a lot!
just about right!

I ll try and search more in the threads!
Reply 10
Hey mate, there's lots of stuff on this forum about this, UCL especially. Spend 40 mins skimming through the threads in this sub-forum or search keywords maybe.

For a physical portfolio 15 finished pieces is a good number, plus 5 other pieces that aren't quite finished, plus a sketchbook of development work which you can drop in and out of in an interview to help you explain anything they seem interested in. I come from a foundation background so this might seem high, but expect people to be showing about this much work, all to a high standard.

What do you mean by 15 finished pieces?...have have three a3 sized sketch books and only have a few, literally a few final finished pieces...i even asked my teacher for help...is that okay? :s-smilie: please help! thanks! :smile:
Original post by mqt
What do you mean by 15 finished pieces?...have have three a3 sized sketch books and only have a few, literally a few final finished pieces...i even asked my teacher for help...is that okay? :s-smilie: please help! thanks! :smile:

I mean that they should be full sized drawings/paintings/sculptures, probably with sketchbook development to accompany each. If your sketchbook has good work in it then you could count one of those A3 pages as a 'piece', so don't worry. They do expect portfolio work to be edited down though, so for the digital portfolio in particular you need to have your best pages selected, and in the interview aim to present to them those, and allow them to flick through the rest.
Reply 12
I mean that they should be full sized drawings/paintings/sculptures, probably with sketchbook development to accompany each. If your sketchbook has good work in it then you could count one of those A3 pages as a 'piece', so don't worry. They do expect portfolio work to be edited down though, so for the digital portfolio in particular you need to have your best pages selected, and in the interview aim to present to them those, and allow them to flick through the rest.

Oh i see..thank you :smile:...if i show you some of my work could you give me some tips and stuff? i'd be really thankful...So in an interview i'd just aim to show them my best works by flicking past those that aren't as good? Or will they be flicking through themselves? sorry about all the questions haha! thhanks! :smile:
Original post by mqt
Oh i see..thank you :smile:...if i show you some of my work could you give me some tips and stuff? i'd be really thankful...So in an interview i'd just aim to show them my best works by flicking past those that aren't as good? Or will they be flicking through themselves? sorry about all the questions haha! thhanks! :smile:

Yeah, post up what you've got.
Depends, they'll flick through themselves probably, but aim to focus on the best stuff.
Reply 14
Yeah, post up what you've got.
Depends, they'll flick through themselves probably, but aim to focus on the best stuff.

thank you! need to get hold of my dads camera and then i'll put up some pictures when i can. thanks :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending