The Student Room Group

Leeds or Birmingham

Hello,

I posted the same thread in the Leeds forum by accident but thought i would post it here as well so i don't just get leeds applicants writing in it.

I have applied to study philosophy and can't decide whether firm Birmingham or Leeds. I like them both and cannot make up my mind about which one to go to. Thought I would create this thread and see if any one has any suggestions or reasons i should choose one over the other.

Any advice is welcome

Thankyou all

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by jadegeldard
Hello,

I posted the same thread in the Leeds forum by accident but thought i would post it here as well so i don't just get leeds applicants writing in it.

I have applied to study philosophy and can't decide whether firm Birmingham or Leeds. I like them both and cannot make up my mind about which one to go to. Thought I would create this thread and see if any one has any suggestions or reasons i should choose one over the other.

Any advice is welcome

Thankyou all

I can't speak as far as philosophy goes, but these were my general reasons for putting Leeds over Birmingham

1) Accomodation at Leeds is much cheaper- for the Vale its way over priced and your still a 20 minute walk away from uni. Plus its first come first served, so if you dont apply now, your unlikely to get the halls you want. Where as Leeds system is done more fairly- it doesn't matter when you apply as long as you apply within the deadline. If you wanted to live on campus at Leeds you could do. Leeds accomodation service gave a presentation on the applicant open day last year, where as at Birmingham our student guide took us to the accomodation desk and the woman there ignored us! Also Leeds has a better range of accomodation to suit every budget- from cheap, through to resonable, to more expensive. And none of it seems to be that bad. Where as at Birmingham its either ridiculously expensive or expensive or fairly resonable but from what I've heard pretty tacky. You can get a lot more for your money at Leeds.

2) Leeds student union is much better than Birminghams (although apparently Birminghams is improving) but Leeds has won awards for being one of the best unions.

3) Personally I preferred Leeds campus- the Parkinson building & Brotherton Library are amazing, it really feels like a mini village (plus as I said before you can live on campus if you want to.)
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
x

Lol biased much?

OP - If you haven't already got to both open days and see which one you like better, there might be modules that you might be interested in that are offered at one of those uni's rather than the other.

Essentially remember its where YOU are going to be living for the next 3/4 years..

What particulary are you looking for prestige/ area of living, yes it may be cheaper to live in Leeds...but at the same time Birmingham is a well known, well rounded university thats part of the Russell group.. So is Leeds.

Elaborate more...if you can?

All the best. :h:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Nayberay
Lol biased much?

OP - If you haven't already got to both open days and see which one you like better, there might be modules that you might be interested in that are offered at one of those uni's rather than the other.

Essentially remember its where YOU are going to be living for the next 3/4 years..

What particulary are you looking for prestige/ area of living, yes it may be cheaper to live in Leeds...but at the same time Birmingham is a well known, well rounded university thats part of the Russell group..

How is it biased stating that Birminghams accomodation is much more expensive than Leeds when thats the truth? Also Leeds SU is known to be one of the best out there. None of that was my oppinion (apart from the last point)
Reply 4
How is it biased stating that Birminghams accomodation is much more expensive than Leeds when thats the truth? Also Leeds SU is known to be one of the best out there. None of that was my oppinion (apart from the last point)

Hence the reason why I wrote 'lol' so not seem so harsh.. Jheez :tongue:
Reply 5
I can't speak as far as philosophy goes, but these were my general reasons for putting Leeds over Birmingham

1) Accomodation at Leeds is much cheaper- for the Vale its way over priced and your still a 20 minute walk away from uni. Plus its first come first served, so if you dont apply now, your unlikely to get the halls you want. Where as Leeds system is done more fairly- it doesn't matter when you apply as long as you apply within the deadline. If you wanted to live on campus at Leeds you could do. Leeds accomodation service gave a presentation on the applicant open day last year, where as at Birmingham our student guide took us to the accomodation desk and the woman there ignored us! Also Leeds has a better range of accomodation to suit every budget- from cheap, through to resonable, to more expensive. And none of it seems to be that bad. Where as at Birmingham its either ridiculously expensive or expensive or fairly resonable but from what I've heard pretty tacky. You can get a lot more for your money at Leeds.

2) Leeds student union is much better than Birminghams (although apparently Birminghams is improving) but Leeds has won awards for being one of the best unions.

3) Personally I preferred Leeds campus- the Parkinson building & Brotherton Library are amazing, it really feels like a mini village (plus as I said before you can live on campus if you want to.)

Erm I disagree with this.. completely. It seems like you had a bad experience at Birmingham and thats what your basing this on..

Leeds is not a decent campus, my brother is in his final year at Leeds studying Maths (G100) and he says he hates it, yes accomodation is cheap but he says its lacking, social scene is not as good as they say, plus there seems to be nothing actually notable about the university, you don't hear people generally talking about leeds for recommendations.

I would say Birmingham its part of the Russell Group (Oxford, Cambridge, Warwick, Manchester etc/) studies show that student who study at Russell Group generally have better employment prospects and I read that on the Russell Group website the other day.

Birmingham is a bloody amazing city, not as good as Manchester in my opinion but its fairly big, accomodation in Selly Oak seems to be epic..according to my friend, I recently got an offer from Birmingham to study Law and Business will be going there.

Its my opinion and i'm not trying to goad you into going to one particular uni its your decision go and visit the place.
Reply 6
Lol biased much?

What particulary are you looking for prestige/ area of living, yes it may be cheaper to live in Leeds...but at the same time Birmingham is a well known, well rounded university thats part of the Russell group..

Both of the courses are very similar and both do the modules that I would be interested in which it makes it even more difficult. When i went to visit Leeds I really liked it and because I have never really been to Leeds there is part of me which says 'go somewhere new'. However, I also really like Birmingham as a place and Uni and as you stated it is a very highly rated university.

Because I like both equally, I think i need to go to the one where i will get the most recognised degree from. Birmingham is a higher in the tables that Leeds overall however Leeds is higher from Philosophy, so not sure whether to go for the the one better overall or the one better for my course.

Hope this makes some sense. Thanks for the help
Reply 7
This probably isn't very constructive, and also very stereotypical.

But LEEEDS. <3
Partially because I can't stand "burrrrrrrmingham" from people. ^.^

>: )
Original post by I<3Vans
Erm I disagree with this.. completely. It seems like you had a bad experience at Birmingham and thats what your basing this on..

Leeds is not a decent campus, my brother is in his final year at Leeds studying Maths (G100) and he says he hates it, yes accomodation is cheap but he says its lacking, social scene is not as good as they say, plus there seems to be nothing actually notable about the university, you don't hear people generally talking about leeds for recommendations.

I would say Birmingham its part of the Russell Group (Oxford, Cambridge, Warwick, Manchester etc/) studies show that student who study at Russell Group generally have better employment prospects and I read that on the Russell Group website the other day.

Birmingham is a bloody amazing city, not as good as Manchester in my opinion but its fairly big, accomodation in Selly Oak seems to be epic..according to my friend, I recently got an offer from Birmingham to study Law and Business will be going there.

Its my opinion and i'm not trying to goad you into going to one particular uni its your decision go and visit the place.

As is Leeds.

http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/our-universities/
Reply 9
Original post by Mayden
This probably isn't very constructive, and also very stereotypical.

But LEEEDS. <3
Partially because I can't stand "burrrrrrrmingham" from people. ^.^

>: )

Fair point there :smile: are you off to Leeds or just know the area?
Original post by I<3Vans

Actually I've only ever visited Birmingham once in my life. I've not had a bad experience there. Plenty of people have commented on how overpriced it is. I mean £5-6k for halls? My parents are putting money towards my uni living costs, and even they couldn't afford to make up the difference between my loan and the halls in Brum. Yes the accomodation on the Vale is supposed to be good but not worth that much.

And Leeds is Russell Group FYI
Reply 11
Original post by jadegeldard
Fair point there :smile: are you off to Leeds or just know the area?

Applied for MH nursing at Leeds (Met) because I love Leeds, and I wanted to stay /fairly/ local. So Leeds/Huddersfield it is for me. :smile:
Reply 12
Lol well then if you like Leeds then go to it, when I visited Manchester I instantly loved it, and no doubt it will be firm choice.

Its your gut/personal feeling. All the best. :h:
Reply 13
Actually I've only ever visited Birmingham once in my life. I've not had a bad experience there. Plenty of people have commented on how overpriced it is. I mean £5-6k for halls? My parents are putting money towards my uni living costs, and even they couldn't afford to make up the difference between my loan and the halls in Brum. Yes the accomodation on the Vale is supposed to be good but not worth that much.

And Leeds is Russell Group FYI

But again - how many people in general know that Leeds is part of the Russell Group?

If you say top named uni's such as the obvs one: Cam, Ox, Durham then other fairly decent uni's such as Edinburgh, Manchester, Birmingham and so on, everyone automatically knows they are part of the RG....then theres Leeds..... *tumbleweed* I'm not gonna say anymore on that. Yes the RG doesn't neccessarily mean lots, same goes with the league tables but come on now..

Its down to personal preference really but accomodations costs are not a worry, your covered by loans, grants and scholarships PLUS as a student you should have the initiative to get a job.

If your main point is based on accomodations costs then good for you, if thats what matters for you, but this is for the OP - but its not all about accomodation, we're talking about teaching, research, international status, city life... I could go on and its funny you say you've never had a bad experience yet your posts make you seem very bitter about Birmingham...and I haven't been the only one to comment on it. You've visited the place once... I've been to Leeds a few times whilst seeing my Bro..I've been to Birmingham many times as I have friends up there..

Sorry thats just the way i'm seeing it. Don't quote me if your gonna go on about accomodation again, if you've got some fresh points, i'm open to it.

Sorry if I seem harsh but Birmingham is not as bad or as bitter as your making it seem to be.
Reply 14
Reply 15
Lol well then if you like Leeds then go to it, when I visited Manchester I instantly loved it, and no doubt it will be firm choice.

Its your gut/personal feeling. All the best. :h:

Meh..Manchester...s'alright.. Very good international status and they are aiming to be in the top 25 for international uni's by 2015 or so I read. Very ambitious of them.
Birmingham pros:
1. You will be nearer home- from Oxford there is a direct train to New Street which takes about an hour. Leeds is over 3 hours away.
2. Birmingham is a true campus university which may be what you're looking for, secluded from the city but only a short bus ride away.

Leeds pros:
1. Top student union and club scene.
2. A big one that has already been mentioned is cost of accommodation. The vale (place to be) costs £6500+ for the new accommodation so I'd imagine you would find something much cheaper in Leeds.

Both are top Russell group universities so I don't think your prospects will be significantly better at either. The course has to be the most important factor to consider.
(edited 13 years ago)
To be honest you're spoilt for choice, I live near Birmingham and it's a great city. My cousin went to Leeds university and hasn't left. She is 30/31 now.
Reply 18
Birmingham.

Leeds is massively overrated, and just seen as a popular uni amongst young people.
Reply 19
Original post by I<3Vans
But again - how many people in general know that Leeds is part of the Russell Group?

If you say top named uni's such as the obvs one: Cam, Ox, Durham then other fairly decent uni's such as Edinburgh, Manchester, Birmingham and so on, everyone automatically knows they are part of the RG....then theres Leeds..... *tumbleweed* I'm not gonna say anymore on that. Yes the RG doesn't neccessarily mean lots, same goes with the league tables but come on now..

Are you joking mate, Leeds is one of the most well-known, highly respected and sought-after Russel Group unis. It's the second most popular univeristy for applications after Manchester (although the gap is closing and I suspect it will be the most popular for applicants within the next 3 years). I think Birmingham is about 7th in terms of number of applications. Also, Leeds is aiming to be within the top 50 universities in the world!! Leeds has a top-rate alumni (too many to mention but go on Wiki). Leeds is a top university that is on the up!!!
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending