The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Official UCL Applicant Thread for Entry in 2011!

Scroll to see replies

Firmed UCL this morning xD time to start properly thinking about accomodation now :P
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2541
Rejected this morning from UCL for Chemical Engineering :frown:
But got an offer from the University of Birmingham 10 minutes later :smile:
GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE ELSE!!!
Original post by s11141

Original post by s11141
Rejected this morning from UCL for Chemical Engineering :frown:
But got an offer from the University of Birmingham 10 minutes later :smile:
GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE ELSE!!!

Oh. Thats sad bro :frown: . All the best in your future endeavours. UCL's loss is Birmingham's gain :smile:
Reply 2543
Original post by CookieGhoul
Oh. Thats sad bro :frown: . All the best in your future endeavours. UCL's loss is Birmingham's gain :smile:

Thanks a lot man! People like you make me feel better about the rejection :smile: You too, I wish you all the best!
I just received an open day invite. Is this worse than an interview? :frown:
Reply 2545
Was just asked to submit another statement to the bartlett college for project management for construction, was wondering if anyone was asked to do the same, or the reason behind them asking for another statement, good news or bad news??
Rejected today, not as gutted as I thought as I knew it was coming, at least I can go to manchester
now!
Reply 2547
Original post by tillytots
Rejected today, not as gutted as I thought as I knew it was coming, at least I can go to manchester
now!

i got rejected too today :/ dont worry, ur not the only one :smile: its their loss
Reply 2548
Patiently waiting to hear from UCL for Electronic & Electrical Engineering. The long wait is killing.
Original post by CookieGhoul

This is completely off the point but out of curiousity, how did you manage to apply to such varied courses. Did you write a PS for each course?
Reply 2550
Original post by olibob101
Got a questionnaire for classics at UCL today...finally some contact! Good luck to you guys who are still waiting... :smile:

Hey - I applied to read Ancient World Studies at UCL (I know its not exactly the same course - but it's under the same faculty) and have literally about 2 hours ago sent the questionnaire answer sheet back to them!

Feeling relieved that I got it off - but wondering how others found the questions etc. so.. how did it go for you?

good luck with your app :smile:
Original post by sammydolce
Is it a bad thing that I haven't heard from UCL since receiving their e-mail acknowledging my application? (Which I sent in Nov.)
No open day invitation or anything of the sort :cry2:

If it makes you feel any better it's the same for me.
Aaaa.... what the hell. I've sent my application on 8 of December and still no answer! I sent them an e-mail in the middle of January and they said that "my application is been checked at engineering department and soon will be passed to computer science department"...after this no answer. I sent another e-mail this Saturday, still no answer... I got an interview invites from all of my chooses, even Imperial... I hope there is nothing wrong with my application. I really want to make UCL my insurance.... ahhhh...
Original post by r.woods
Hey - I applied to read Ancient World Studies at UCL (I know its not exactly the same course - but it's under the same faculty) and have literally about 2 hours ago sent the questionnaire answer sheet back to them!

Feeling relieved that I got it off - but wondering how others found the questions etc. so.. how did it go for you?

good luck with your app :smile:

I sent mine off on thursday for ancient world studies. Had a bit of a hard time thinking of what to write though but i think i did alright.
Hi everyone,

I'm a final year Classics student at UCL so want to wish you all good luck with your applications!

UCL is a great University, I'm so sad to be leaving- made worse by reading about you all starting soon!!

If I can help anyone with questions about UCL/London/student life please feel free to quote me or PM me.

Good luck!
Original post by s11141
if u have a predicted 45 in IB, they know that u wont be going to there uni, but to a better one.. therefore, why would they bother giving u an offer if they're almost sure that u wont be going there. i think that they are shooting for people in their range. by ur IB predicted score, i think that u shud be aiming for cambridge or oxford, not UCL.

A lot of people with those qualifications get rejected from Oxbridge so I doubt good universities like UCL would just assume their applicant would go somewhere else. And some people would rather live in London than e.g. incredibly old and small Oxford.

I got an offer from Durham 9 IB points below my predicted so unis do give offers to people above their normal range.
Reply 2556
Original post by AmeliaGYC
Hi everyone,

I'm a final year Classics student at UCL so want to wish you all good luck with your applications!

UCL is a great University, I'm so sad to be leaving- made worse by reading about you all starting soon!!

If I can help anyone with questions about UCL/London/student life please feel free to quote me or PM me.

Good luck!

Hey,

i applied to classics at UCL :smile: whats the course like? is there a wide range of modules to chose from? i cant decide whether i want to make UCL or Durham my firm choice if i get an offer from UCL

thanks.
Reply 2557
I sent in my philosophy essays three days ago and I am hoping for an offer now! :smile:
Reply 2558
Original post by Robinjh
Interview in Feb.

hey, do you mind telling me when exactly is your interview? i wasn't invited as i am international... and i guess that they will only start giving out replies when you all have been interviewed.

Good luck btw :smile:
Original post by Gubey
Hey,

i applied to classics at UCL :smile: whats the course like? is there a wide range of modules to chose from? i cant decide whether i want to make UCL or Durham my firm choice if i get an offer from UCL

thanks.

Hey!

I got into all my choices but have never regretted going to UCL.
The classics course is fantastic- lots of variety and you can do history and archaeology modules too or something from another department (I do Italian).

In first year you have to take Interpreting Greek literature and Interpreting Latin literature which are both interesting courses and give a broad overview of classical literature (obviously not in much detail).
2nd year the compulsory course is Classics and literary theory which is quite hard but interesting.
The dissertation is no longer compulsory, so I didn't choose it, and as a result have more exams but I don't think essay writing is my strong point so you can choose.

The tutors are generally all fantastic, it's the friendliest department I've heard of and because it's small you will get to know everyone in the years above and below you.
Some highlights include our common room- where there is always people in discussing something and our annual classics play which is great fun to take part in and runs for 3 nights at the Bloomsbury (This year it has sold out!).

In general UCL is great, the only negative I can think of between choosing between here and Durham is the cost of living which will obviously be considerably higher because it's London. But hope I've helped you and best of luck with your application!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending